Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Prem Kumar
Submit a review for Dr. Prem KumarYour feedback matters!
Dr. Mujhe gas bhut bnti h or pet bhi foolta h or muje bathroom bhi bar bar ata rhta h rat ko bhi so nhi pata jitni bar pani pita hu to 10mint me bathroom aa jata h or agr pani na piu to gla sukta h sir pls hlp m kya kru meri age 22 h or weight 45 kg and height 5.7" pls hlp me dr.
I am 45 year old I have a throat problems pain and tonsil last 2-3 years, doctor say that your abandonment is not proper working, you have a gas problems, toilet not clear at the morning times. please Advice me.
I suffer from acute acidity whenever I consume something oily like paratha, samosa or even roti. Please advise.
How and why are gallstones formed?
The bile in your body contains enough chemicals to dissolve cholesterol excreted by your liver. In case your liver starts excreting more cholesterol than your bile has the capability to dissolve, the excess cholesterol crystallizes and forms stones. Bile may become concentrated if the gallbladder doesn't empty in the time leading to the formation of gallstones.
A number of factors can increase the risks of formation of gallstones like:
- High cholesterol
- Being obese/overweight
- Being an American Indian or Mexican American
- Being female
- Falling in the age group of 60 or above
- A family history of gallstones
- Rapid weight loss
- Consumption of cholesterol-lowering medications
When should you consider undergoing surgery?
In some cases gallstones that are detected during ct scan or ultrasound (without any symptoms) don't require surgery. If you do not feel aggravating pain in your upper right abdomen or other signs and symptoms, then one can postpone the surgical process according to the need. The surgery for gallstones is also known as cholecystectomy and is done through laprascopy, where in 5 mm to 10 mm small cuts are made on the abdomen and surgery is performed. Recovery is extremely fast and one can join work the very next day and is one of the most commonly performed sugery.
However, you need to opt for surgery to remove the gallbladder necessarily in the following cases-
- sudden inflammation or infection in the gallbladder
- if you experience recurring instances of intense pain due to the gallstones
- certain growths known as polyps develop in your gallbladder which is larger than 1 cm in size and begin to give rise to numerous symptoms.
- if you have pancreatitis, which is a condition involving inflammation of pancreas due to gallstones
- if the wall of your gallbladder gets calcified
- your immune system is damaged
- you are experiencing symptoms and your gallbladder has ceased to function
If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a general surgeon.