Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. PhilominaYour feedback matters!
Abhyanga is a warm oil self-massage. It is an important part of self-care that provides healing benefits to
the body and mind. Abhyanga improves circulation, moisturizes the skin, awakens the lymph system,
and calms the mind and nervous system.
It especially calms the vata dosha; however, by using oils appropriate for each dosha, Abhyanga
supports all three doshas.
Improves luster and tone of the skin
Enhances complexion and creates softer, smoother skin
Lubricates the joints
Nourishes scalp and creates luxurious healthy hair
Supports healthy function of immune system
Balances the nervous system and calms the mind
Supports deep restful sleep
Increases energy and ojas
Make sure bathroom is warm. Place old towel on floor to prevent oil stains.
Heat some water to near boil. Pour water in a coffee mug. Place plastic container of recommended
massage oil into the cup until oil is warm. Use flip top container for easier application.
Begin to apply oil to body. Begin with the head, rubbing oil into scalp. Be sure to lubricate the ears.
Then massage oil into the neck, shoulders and arms. Continue with the abdomen and back. Finish with
the legs. Spend extra time on the hands and feet. Use long strokes for the limbs and circular motion for
the chest, abdomen and joints.
Allow the oil to penetrate the skin for 10-15 minutes. Note: if short on time, even allowing the oil to soak
in for 5 minutes will be of benefit.
Take a warm shower, being careful to not slip as the feet are oily. Use soap where needed and sham-
Itʼs best to avoid Abhyanga when the following conditions are present:
During menstrual cycle
Systemic ama/toxins in the body. Usually the tongue has a thick coating on it under these conditions.
Experiencing a cold or flu
During pregnancy, without the consent of your health care practitioner
RECOMMENDED OILS FOR THE DOSHAS
Be sure to use organic oils, as the skin is the largest organ on the body. One can simply use the
straight-up base oils. However, in my opinion, if I am investing the time and energy in the self-massage, I
like the extra boost of healing herbs in my Abhyanga oil. So, I will use herbal oils. To be more cost
effective, one can use a 50:50 blend of the base and herbal oils.
Abhyanga is a simple, effective, and luxurious practice that puts the “ahhhh” in self-care. Investing time
to nourish yourself in the morning will provide a sweet return of bliss throughout the day, as well as long
term health benefits.
Indoor plants are not just meant for embellishing your interior spaces. They have other qualities as well. They can interact with your mind and body and better your life with their healing qualities. Here's how they can benefit your health:
- They make breathing easy: Do you remember your old science lessons in school? Well, you must know that plants release oxygen into the atmosphere and absorb carbon dioxide during photosynthesis. Human beings do the reverse during respiration or breathing. During night, plants respire like us and absorb oxygen as photosynthesis halts. But there are few plants like orchids, succulents and epiphytic bromeliads do the opposite bit by releasing oxygen even at night. You can keep these plants in the bedroom to increase the oxygen supply around you. This helps your breathing and keeps you fit.
- Add moisture to the air: Plants release water in the form of vapour during photosynthesis and respiration. This leads to increase in the moisture content of air. They are known to release about 90% of the water consumed by them. Therefore, if you keep plants inside your house, your respiratory troubles will be reduced by a great extent. The moisture laden air around you will heal and help your respiratory tract. According to a study by the Agricultural University of Norway, the possibility of developing conditions like dry skin, sore throats and dry coughs is reduced.
- Natural purification of air: It has been claimed by researchers that plants can remove about 87 percent of toxins from the surrounding air in a day. These toxins are called volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs include formaldehyde, benzene and trichloroethylene.
- Health booster: It influences the overall health of an individual. It has been found by researchers that surgical patients improve faster in rooms with plants. They feel energetic; have proper heart rate and blood pressure. Ayurveda Science tells us that a green and airy ambience is pleasing to the mind. It helps in insomnia, hyperacidity and is an excellent aphrodisiac!
- Increases concentration power: A study by The Royal College of Agriculture in Circencester, England, claims that indoor plants helps in increasing the concentration power in individuals. They make you relaxed and leave a positive impact on your mind. You are filled with optimistic energy and able to focus in life better. It can take away stress from your life. People who keep indoor plants in their houses are usually satisfied with life.
Thus, indoor plants can bring positivity in your life. They can definitely give you mental and physical bliss. They are not just a splash of greenery with decorative significance. They are your companions for life and agents of good health. Keep yourself free from stress and strains of daily lives by maintaining your indoor garden. Remember, a single plant indoor can give you millions of reason to smile and cheer for.
In vitro fertilisation (IVF) is one of the popular Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) for treating infertility and helping couples to conceive.
But lack of understanding about the IVF treatment has given rise to a number of myths such as:
Myth 1: IVF never fails but is always successful
The success of the procedure depends on a number of factors such as quality and quantity of embryos and age. It is said that chances of conception decreases with age, with women above 40 reporting reduced fertility potential as well as success rate. On the other hand, women below the age of 35 have about 41% chance of getting pregnant.
Myth 2: IVF increases your fertility levels
Instead of making you more fertile, IVF stops your natural fertility cycle. This is usually done through hormones that are taken at the beginning of the process. The aim of such an action is to essentially put an end to your natural fertility process and create in its place an artificial cycle.
Myth 3: It causes you to have triplets or twins
No, it's not necessary for multiple births to take place if you opt for IVF. You can reduce the prospect of having twins or triplets by cutting down on the number of embryos that get inserted into the uterus.
Myth 4: IVF hormone injections make you prone to uncontrollable emotions.
In actuality, IVF hormone injections don't cause you to suffer from out of control emotions but make you happier. This is because they come packed with the female hormone oestrogen, which produce endorphins (brain chemicals) that give you a sense of wellbeing. The wave of emotions that you end up experiencing is a result of the stress and anxiety surrounding the success of a cycle.
I am 31 year old, had pcod and today my 9th day of period and still bleeding after passing urine with clot. What shall I do to stop period. Kindly given advice.
I'm a healthy 27 year old who is about to lose her mind. My last period was march 9, i've taken a few pregnancy tests (most recent one last week) which all came back negative. I'm hungry all the time and tired. I have a history of fairly regular cycles. So what could be wrong?
My wife she is 6 months pregnant she got viral fever upto 102 degree F and typhoid also So what are suggestions she is taking dolo 600 every 4 -5 hours to lower fever so also her HB is 7.5 Is it all serious ?
I am 42 years old, I am suffer from black spots under eyes and pains in hands and feet. When the periods starts, I feel very in comfort. From last four months my periods are last for 15 days. If one month periods is less and then next month it is very high. What are the remedies, and medicines should I follow to reduce these problems. Please suggest. Thank you.
1. Eggs are considered a great option to increase sperm count, as well as improve their motility. High in vitamin e and full of protein, eating eggs protect sperm cells from the free radicals that can decrease your count. These nutrients assist in the production of strong and healthy sperm, which is important to fertility.
2. Spinach folic acid is vital to the development of healthy sperm. Spinach and other types of leafy green vegetables are a rich source of this vitamin. When your folate levels are low, there is a greater chance you will produce malformed sperm. This will lead to sperm that will have a hard time reaching the egg and penetrating its protective barrier. Also, there is a greater chance of birth defects because of the faulty sperms chromosomal abnormalities.
3. Bananas are full of vitamin a, b1 and c, which help your body produce healthier sperm, as well as increase your sperm productivity. This tropical fruit also contains a rare enzyme called bromelain. This is a natural anti-inflammatory enzyme which also boosts sperm count and motility.
4. Dark chocolate dark chocolate is often associated with lust filled rendezvous. Strawberries dipped in chocolate next to a glass of champagne on a bedside table greet many a guest during their honeymoon. What you probably didn't know is dark chocolate is great for your sperm count as well. It contains an amino acid called l-arginine hcl known to increase semen volume and sperm count. It has also been rumored to increase orgasm intensity.
5. Asparagus another food to increase sperm count is the green vegetable called asparagus. Super high in vitamin c, it has a wide range of positive effects on your sperm. It protects the cells of your testicles and fights free radicals, allowing for greater sperm production of healthy swimmers.
6. Broccoli besides asparagus, another green vegetable full of folic acid is broccoli. Folic acid, also known as vitamin b9, is already known to help women conceive and is now becoming more recognized as important in male fertility. In one study, men taking a daily dose increased their sperm count by as much as 70%.
7. Pomegranatesthis delicious fruit is known as a powerful food to increase sperm count and improve semen quality. It is full of antioxidants that fight free radicals in the blood stream. Unchecked, they can destroy semen and significantly decrease your sperm count. The juice of pomegranates has been recorded throughout history as being used as a fertility booster.
8. Walnuts are full of omega-3 fatty acids that help boost sperm volume and production by increasing blood flow to the testicles. It is also full of arginine, known to increase semen volume. It contains twice as much antioxidants than another nuts, helping you fight toxins in your blood stream
9. Garlic is known around the world as a food good for boosting immunity. Among its many properties are vitamin b6 and selenium, both of which play roles in healthy sperm production. Taken by many for its blood cleansing abilities, garlic prevents buildup in arteries and allows for better blood flow to your testicles.
10. Zinc rich foods rich in zinc include barley, red meat, beans, etc. Zinc plays a vital role in sperm development. The mineral is found in high concentrations in testicles during the production of healthy, strong semen. So important is zinc, deficiencies of the mineral has been blamed for low sperm motility. It is important to note you can have too much zinc so it is imperative to regulate your intake to about 15 mg per day.
I am 30 year old. My height is 5.1. My belly and breast is big. I am felling very odd. If I took weight loss medicine can I loose my weight. What can ido to loose my breast part?
Preconception care refers to the care that a woman should take before getting pregnant. This refers to all the procedures and measures to be taken by a woman before pregnancy for maintaining good health before giving birth. Good preconception care also ensures proper health of the to-be-born child. Seeking information about pregnancy is also a part of preconception care by which a woman can prepare herself better physically and emotionally before childbirth. Visiting doctors and health practitioners is a part of preconception care. The body is prepared for giving birth during preconception care.
Nutritional supplements during preconception care:
Certain nutritional supplements are recommended for women during this stage. Folic acid is an important vitamin which enables healthy growth and development of the baby. Folic acid reduces birth defects like spina bifida.
Other healthy supplements which a woman may require during preconception care include iron, zinc and calcium. A healthy, balanced diet and drinking a lot of water are also important.
Visiting a doctor is necessary during the preconception care. You will require a detailed physical health checkup and required guidelines from a health expert. Recommended blood tests include full blood count, testing of ferritin levels and testing for rubella. Urine tests and blood pressure checkup are also vital. You can also take the package for Living Healthy - Woman.
Moreover, several measures and steps must be followed by a woman. They include the following:
- Having a proper diet with sufficient water intake along with nutritional supplements is very important.
- A woman during preconception care should quit smoking or reduce the amount of smoking profusely.
- Large amount of caffeine should be avoided. A woman should consume less caffeine containing products such as coffee, chocolates or soft drinks.
- Alcohol should be avoided strictly as it may reduce the chance of pregnancy.
- Medication without recommendation of the doctor should be avoided. A woman should not use any medicine without being prescribed by the doctor.
- Contact with any kind of chemical should be avoided and natural, environment-friendly cleaning products should be used.
- Overheating of the body should be avoided, and a woman during preconception care should keep away from spas and saunas.
- A regular exercise schedule must be taken up for health benefits regarding pregnancy. Lack of working out may give rise to various health problems in women before pregnancy.
- Any kind of stressful activity should be abstained from, and a woman during preconception care should not lift heavy objects, which cause strain.
- Relaxation techniques should be practiced by a woman to keep mentally healthy.
A woman during the preconception care period should follow all required guidelines given by a doctor. Avid care of the body should be taken to ensure a healthy childbirth. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized gynaecologist and ask a free question.
My wife is, 3 month pregnant and she is having a stone also and her ovaries is little bigger normally how it should be. My question is does it will effect to baby and mother while delivery time is both will be normal.
There are two main ways of finding out if you are pregnant - getting your blood tested, and doing a home pregnancy urine test. In order for these tests to give you a clear picture, you need to wait until the right time i.e. until you've missed your period. However, there are several early signs of pregnancy that can give you an indication that you might be expecting.
1. Shortness of breath - Do you find yourself losing your breath on the stairs or when you walk for a long period of time, more than you usually do? This could be a sign of pregnancy since the fetus needs oxygen, leaving you feeling a little breathless even when you mildly exert yourself.
2. Sore breasts - If your breasts suddenly start feeling a little heavy or you feel like they have grown and your areolas seem slightly darker, it could be one of the first signs that you are pregnant.
3. Fatigue - The increase in hormones in your body during a pregnancy could lead to you feeling a lot more tired. If you end up exhausted after a normal day this could be because women tend to feel extreme tiredness during their first trimester of pregnancy.
4. Nausea - Around 6 weeks into a pregnancy (sometimes earlier), women tend to feel nauseous. This usually subsides as you enter into your second trimester. Feeling nauseous could be a sign of pregnancy. You can treat it by eating things that help settle your stomach like crackers and soda.
5. Frequent Urination - If you notice yourself needing to urinate more than usual, it could be a sign of pregnancy. This happens because your body is now producing extra fluids that cause your bladder to work extra.
6. Headaches - An early sign of pregnancy is experiencing frequent headaches. This happens because your body is now suddenly dealing with a lot of excessive hormones. To deal with the headaches make sure you take a pregnancy safe painkiller instead of a normal one.
Everybody has a way of expressing itself if only we take the time out to listen. If we really pay attention to these tiny reactions, detecting a pregnancy early, that is even before you skip that period is possible. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
Painful or difficult intercourse is either caused by psychological or medical factors, such as dyspareunia. It is commonly known as painful intercourse due to various reasons and persistant pain in the pelvis region is a sign of it.
What an cause dyspareunia?
The causes of dyspareunia can vary, depending on when the pain occurs; during deep thrusting or penetration. Sometimes, emotional factors contribute to the cause as well.
1. Entry pain
Pain during penetration may be caused by the following factors:
- Insufficient lubrication: Inadequate foreplay can result in insufficient lubrication. Breast-feeding, menopause or childbirth can also cause inadequate lubrication.
- Irritation, trauma or injury: This includes irritation or injury from pelvic surgery, an accident, female circumcision or episiotomy (incision made at the time of childbirth to expand the birth canal).
- Skin disorder, infection or inflammation: Infections in the urinary tract or genital organs can result in painful intercourse. Skin problems such as eczema can also add to dyspareunia.
- Vaginismus: Uncontrollable vaginal wall muscle spasms can make penetration extremely painful.
- Congenital abnormality: Problems during birth, such as lack of a fully-developed vagina or underdevelopment of the hymen are some underlying causes.
2. Deep pain
Deep thrusting can be attributed to the following causes:
- Certain conditions and illnesses: These include ovarian cysts, haemorrhoids, irritable bowel syndrome, cystitis, uterine fibroids (benign growths in the uterus), retroverted uterus (uterus that is tilted), uterine prolapse (a condition characterized by the uterus sagging from its usual position), pelvic inflammatory disease and endometriosis (uterus lining tissues growing outside one’s uterus).
- Medical treatment or surgeries: Medical treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation or surgeries like hysterectomy (a surgical technique to remove either a part or whole of the womb) can result in dyspareunia.
3. Emotional factors
- Psychological problems: Depression, anxiety, body image issues, relationship problems or intimacy fears can affect arousal and result in pain.
- Stress: Pelvic floor muscles are affected by stress. This contributes to pain during sex.
- Past sexual abuse: Dyspareunia commonly develops in women who have been abused in the past.
The symptoms of painful intercourse include:
1. Pain only during entry (Sexual penetration)
2. Any penetrative activity is painful; even inserting a tampon becomes painful
3. Sudden sensation of pain, especially if sex before was painless
4. Deep pain while thrusting
5. Aching or burning pain
6. Throbbing pain, persisting hours after sex
I am 25 years and have polycystic ovaries. I take Ovalife Met for pcos. I had my my periods on 6.6.17 then I had sex with my boyfriend, within 24 hrs had an emergency pill. Then again got periods at end end of june. After this my periods skipped ob august and still did not came. So I took pregnancy test in prega news for 2 times. Same result came and its negative. Do I have any chance of getting pregnant?
I am a 30 year old female n trying to conceive from last 2 months. It's been 3 years of our marriage. We have been using condoms till now. Can you please tell me that using condoms make it difficult to conceive later on when trying to conceive. We are having sex during the fertile period. Please assist that how long does it generally take to get pregnant. Thanks.
I am 40 years old man married just now. I want to do anal sex without condom with my wife. What precautions I should take? Explain me in details.
Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It facilitates the movement of glucose from the blood to
the liver, muscles and fat cells.
The causes for diabetes are:
• Type 1 Diabetes: Body is incapable of producing insulin
• Type 2 Diabetes: Body becomes resistant to insulin
• Hormonal changes during pregnancy can also result in temporary diabetes
Natural home remedy using bitter gourds:
1. Remove the skin and seeds of 4-5 bitter gourds
2. Crush them to a make a paste
3. Press this paste on a sieve an extract the juice
4. Drink this juice on an empty stomach every morning
Natural home remedy using cinnamon powder:
1. Boil 1 L of water
2. Let it simmer for 20 min on low flame
3. While simmering, add 3 tsp of cinnamon powder
4. Strain the mixture
5. Drink entire amount of this water everyday
Natural home remedy using fenugreek seeds:
1. Take 4 tbsp of fenugreek seeds
2. Soak them in 250 ml water overnight
3. Crush them in the morning
4. Strain the mixture and collect the water
5. Drink it everyday for 2 months
• Eat 8-10 black berries daily
• Lower the consumption of sugar in your diet. Avoid sugary foods like sweets and cakes