Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. NarayanaswamiYour feedback matters!
I had my angioplasty five years back From last one year I am having swelling in my leg. It worsens as the day proceeds. Nephrologist Dr. kale after seeing all test said there is no problem in kidney. All my heart test were also ok. I was diagnosed fatty liver last month. Please suggest.
What is the home remedy for Fatty liver Grade III for non smoker 45 years Man? What is the diet plan for the above ?
Madam/sir, I have gerd problem and gas problem. I'm planning to consume spicy seeds with water daily. Will it regulate my problem without any medicines.
Sir have taken ultras can of abdomen the report was that iIhave a stone in gallbladder of size 6 mm.
Hello I had a severe gallstone attack almost 2 years back. Doctor advised me to go for a surgery but I didn't go for it. Until now I have not experienced this pain attack again What should I do?
My digestion is very poor though I exercise daily when I eat little heavy diet like mutton its difficult to digest.
I have been suffering from indigestion for a long time. The problem is I don't feel the urgency to excrete and even if I take warm water and lemon (thought it helps to some extent) still stomach feels heavy and constipated after a little bowel movement. Need help. Thanks.
The acids help the body dissolve the food particles and also break it down to more basic elements. However, when the body produces too much acid, it causes acid reflux which can cause discomfort. Too much acid within the body, which is also known as hyperacidity, can be caused by a multitude of factors.
Known and effective Ayurvedic cures: Ayurveda considers acidity to be a 'Pitta' problem and it can be corrected by following certain simple steps. There are other food ingredients which are also used as remedial tools. Let's have a look at some of the dos and don'ts of Ayurvedic remedies for acidity.
Don'ts for acidity according to Ayurveda:
1. Limit junk food and other foods, which are very heavy in fats and processed items: Most processed foods and junk food usually made in stores contain unhealthy fats. The stomach needs to produce more acid in order to digest them and thus may end up causing acidity.
2. Stop excessive consumption of tea, coffee: Stop consumption of caffeinated beverages such as tea, coffee and other caffeine injected drinks which may encourage the production of more stomach acids.
3. Stop the consumption of alcohol and cooperates: Apart from being generally bad for health as both of these are known contributors of cancers, they can even affect smaller day to day functions and can lead to acidity.
4. Don't consume foods which are high in acidic content: If you tend to like food which is very high in acidic content, it is advisable to limit its consumption. Some examples of this are:
- Sour citrus fruits
- Salty fried foods
Dos for acidity according to Ayurveda:
There are multiple solutions for acidity in Ayurveda which have been known cures for generations. Let's take a look at some of these.
- Do have meals on time: It is best to not skip meals as this can cause the acidity levels within the stomach to rise if it doesn't have any food to digest. It is especially harmful to skip breakfast and then have a heavy lunch to compensate.
- Do have amla or Indian gooseberry: This is a very effective weapon against acidity and chewing a few morsels will easily cure the problems in your stomach.
- Pomegranate Juice: Very small quantities of Pomegranate juice on a daily basis will be very beneficial for a bad case of acid reflux.
- Coconut water: Drink coconut water as it is known to have properties to neutralize the stomach acids.
- Aniseed: Also known as saunf, you can chew them raw and slowly swallow with water for quick relief from acidity.
- Jeera: Jeera consumed with warm ghee and then mixed with rice tends to be very good for acidity as well. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a ayurveda and ask a free question.
I'm suffering from gastric trouble from last 3 months and also digestive problem can you give me one suggestion.
I have problems in my rectum, irritated by piles from last one year and have a fistula for nearly 2 years. I am using homeopathic medicines from last one year. I like to make it clear trough surgery. please give me suggestions.
I have problem of digestion and hair failing since six and eight month. Please advice me what should I do?
Hello doctor . My age is 27, I have problem when I go to motion. I have bleeding when going to motion. And also have pain in left side stomach. Please tell me what to do.
Fatty liver is a condition where excess fat is deposited on this organ. Also called as steatosis, this condition happens when more than 5- 10 percent of the weight of the liver is made up of fat.
Fatty liver is a common condition among people. A study from coastal regions of India found ~ 25% of healthy persons had patients had fatty liver on ultrasound.
It can occur at all ages including childhood, highest prevalence is in 40–50 year age group. Prevalence more in patient who are obese and in diabetic patients.
Types of Fatty Liver
1 Alcoholic fatty liver: This condition occurs when there is a heavy consumption of alcohol. Gastroenterologists recommend abstention from alcohol for this condition to subside. If the patient continues to consume alcohol, then liver cirrhosis may develop.
2 Non alcoholic fatty liver (NAFL): One may develop a fatty liver even if one is not an alcoholic. The liver in some cases is unable to process the fat in cells causing them to build-up on the organ.
When more than 10% of the liver is made of fat then this condition is called Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver (NAFL).
Non alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH): When fatty liver is associated with inflammation in liver patient is said to be having Non alcoholic steatohepatitis. NASH is a more advanced stage of NAFLD, and has a higher risk of progressing to liver cirrhosis or hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). These condition display symptoms like jaundice, vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite and abdominal pain. Blood test (LFT) shows raised enzymes level. Approx 5-8% of the Indian population has NASH. Consult a doctor if you are experiencing any of these symptoms.
3 Fatty liver during pregnancy: Occurring mainly in the third trimester, the symptoms of this condition are vomiting, nausea, pain the right part of the abdomen and jaundice.
During the early stages (fatty liver) of the disease, patients usually have no symptoms directly related to liver disease. However, people may experience a vague abdominal discomfort. If their liver is inflamed (NASH) then they may display symptoms of poor appetite, weight loss, pain in the abdomen and disorientation.
What causes fatty liver?
The most common cause of fatty liver is alcoholism. When the human liver is unable to metabolize fat fast enough or when there is an excess accumulation of fat on the liver cells then the liver becomes fatty. However, intake of high-fat foods may not result in a fatty liver.
1 Diabetes mellitus
2 Obesity or being overweight
3 Hyperlipidemia or the condition where there are high levels of fat in the blood
4 Genetic reasons
6 Drugs: Aspirin, steroids, tamoxifen, tetracycline etc. cause side effects which also leads to fatty liver
7 Nutritional status (eg, overnutrition, severe malnutrition, total parenteral nutrition [TPN], or starvation diet)
8 Other health problems (eg, Hepatitis C infection, celiac sprue and Wilson disease)
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gastroenterologist.