Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychologists in India. You will find Psychologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Sex Addiction Counselling
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Submit a review for Dr. Ms. Lakshmi PrakashYour feedback matters!
Internet addiction is a very recent phenomenon, but is already a cause for concern. With the advent of various social networking websites, people are increasingly becoming addicted to the internet. Internet addiction disorder is often characterized by people inching to form an emotional attachment with people and activities, all of them online. You may enjoy connecting to people more over the virtual interface instead of the real world; this usually stems from an inability to establish real human contact.
The symptoms of internet addiction disorder are:
1. Excessive usage of the internet
2. Depression, mood swings and irritability if one doesn’t get access to the internet
3. Any effort to reduce internet usage is usually unsuccessful
4. You may experience constant problems in personal relationships, education and your job due to incessant internet usage
5. A tendency of lying to close ones when they ask you how much time you spend over the internet
6. Using internet to escape from real world problems
Internet addiction can gradually isolate you. You may develop an aversion to meeting and communicating with people in real life. This can impair your social skills and make you socially awkward. This disorder also create problems in relationships as it can reduce the time you spend interacting personally.
Internet addiction may also lead you to create online personas to evade low self-esteem issues. This actually aggravates the problem instead of solving it; can result in severe anxiety and depression. Withdrawal symptoms might result in anxiety, depression, irritation and loneliness. This disorder can lead to complications such as dry eyes, headaches, change in sleep patterns and subsequent problems in falling asleep. Back pain from sitting upright while you are on the internet is also very common problem. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
I am 22 year old. I have a severe headache since last month. I had already tried all the home made remedies and pain killers but nothing worked. I am very tensed. What should I do? Please suggest me something.
My husband always looks at other girls even in front and checking out whether I am watching him or not? I completely hate this habit and for the past 6 months I am advising him by showing love towards him. He is promising that he just watched simply. Is this curable or not?
Psychiatrist prescribe a medicine the patients who suffer for depression and other mentally problem. Does medicine have any side effects or not. I do not understand it some people say the very side effect some people say no side effect Some people say do not use allopathy medicine. Some people say the allopathy medicine are just for sleeping Dr. prescribe a medicine for mental illness they work only for sleep. It do not work So what is the answer.
I lost somebody close last year since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to my self all the time. Please help me.
I would like to stop smoking Is any thing happens if rid off smoking suddenly How can I clean my lungs by food or exercises or.
How to stay calm and stress free during preparing for examinations. What are the lite foods & meditation &taken during examination. How I feel relax and get rid of nervous during exams.
I like my house maid who is nice, sincere and honest. I feel like hugging her and give sweet kiss. I had kept her photograph in pocket which my wife saw one day and burnt it in front of me. I felt very bad and and started hating my wife since then. I do not have any bad intention about our house maid. Please advise.
I m suffering from anxiety and ocd. Had medicine for 23 months.Still not everything all right. Suggest
Hi my problem is my attitude I am not happy with my self and I donno what to do in life and want to achieve great thing in life but I am confusing in which field I should go and I my main dream is to become a singer and a music director and I am simply scared dont know my confidence levels go totally down donno why my parents are worried about my character please give me a better suggestion I am not happy every time getting negative feelings to die and my mind is totally not working please help me to live a better happy life.
My sister is suffering with autoimmune encephalitis, is she can live normal life again, like going to job.
My daughter aged 26 yrs, unmarried is suffering from depression since last 2 yrs. We consulted Psychiatrist during Jan 2013 and was on treatment for 6 months after undergoing the following tests; 1. Awake ECG( which is normal),2. SAS,SDS,SQ% (normal)3. Random plasma glucose, creatinine (normal) 4.TSH 3.19 ( within limit) 5.CPB (normal). Unfortunately,without doctors advice she discontinued the medication in July 2013 and during June 2014 she again suffered the depression and attempted suicide 3 times. The doctor again put on medication since June 2014 till todate.Now she is using 1. Toficalm 50 mg.(1tab mor & 1 tab eve) 2. quitipin 100 mg (1/2 mor, 1/2 afn and 1 eve) and 3. Paradize XR 25 mg.(1/2 mor & 1 tab eve). She has at present no signs of depression. My doubt is how long she should be on medication and when should we perform her marriage.
It's been 3 years I have been in depression. It all starts from the anxiety of the secondary exam and I don't know how it happened to struck with me and get into depression. I have been suffering through it since then. Instead of meditation I thought it to give time and heal myself. And it's somehow better than before bit not totally. Now the feelings r totally blank not like before. But it is and I cannot concentrate on things and motivate myself. I do feel a need of meditation for the final push. It feels like now I all know the right things to do but couldn't help with the blankness. I need help. Please advise me.
How to reduce my anger, I am always shouting at my friends and family members, I can't control myself? pls give me gud suggestion.
Hi I am 35 year old and working for a pvt firm. I have a good experience about my profile and am able to execute tough tasks. I changed jobs frequently for better opportunities and all the time I faced lots of difficulty in setting down. Infact, at some places I couldn't and finally left the job. Please help is there anything wrong with me.
I lost somebody close last year and since feel very depressed and prefer keeping to myself all the time please help me.
Mental illnesses refer to an extended range of health disorders related to the mental condition of an individual which affect the health, mood and behavior of that person. Depression, anxiety, eating disorders, addictive behaviors, schizophrenia, etc. are the different types of mental illnesses.
Mental illnesses can create a lot of trouble in the normal functioning of the day-to-day activities of a person's life. Here are some of the common treatment options available for relieving mental illnesses.
- Medications: Antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, mood-stabilizing medications, antipsychotic medications are some general types of psychiatric medications prescribed by the doctor, which can be consumed depending on the condition one is going through. Although these medications do not cure the person completely, it helps in improving the condition.
- Psychotherapy: This type of therapy involves talking to a mental health provider about your condition and other related issues. In other words, it is also called talk therapy. It helps a person to cope up with his/her stress. The duration of such a treatment varies. It may either take a few months or even longer, if required. This therapy can be carried out in a group, with family members or even face to face with the therapist.
- Brain-stimulation treatments: When the medications and psychotherapies fail to work in treating mental illness, this treatment is applied. It involves procedures such as electroconvulsive therapy, transcranial magnetic stimulation, deep brain stimulation and vagus nerve stimulation.
- Hospital and residential treatment programs: In extreme cases of mental illness when a person becomes a threat to himself/herself, it is recommended that he/she be hospitalized to a psychiatric hospital.
- Substance abuse treatments: Substance abuse and mental illness go hand in hand. It worsens the condition of mental illness in an individual, if he/she cannot restrict the consumption of alcohol or drugs. In such circumstances, an individual needs to talk to the doctor regarding the treatment options for stopping substance abuse.