Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Ms. A. Valarmathi
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Ms. A. ValarmathiYour feedback matters!
Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) uses a computer controlled laser to reshape the eye's cornea ( the transparent part in the front region of the eye), so as to enable light passing through it to focus correctly onto the retina of the eye.
When do you need this surgery?
This surgical procedure is ideal for people having following conditions making spectacle use mandatory :
1. Myopia or nearsightedness - Far off objects appears blurry
2. Hypermetropia or farsightedness - Close objects appear indistinct
3. Astigmatism - Overall fuzzy vision
Facts about the surgery -
- Practically painless procedure done under numbing drops
- Short surgery time as well as recovery time
- No use of stitches
- Reduced dependency on glasses and contact lenses
- Better vision as compared to vision through high power glasses
- Minimum age to opt for the procedure is 18 years
LASIK in Presbyopia or Presbylasik:
The surgery can also be opted for individuals who suffer from presbyopia, which is long-sightedness brought on by the loss of flexibility of the eye lens, and usually occurs in individuals in their middle and old age. The condition renders individuals with the inability to focus on objects that are close by, leading to difficulty in reading smaller prints or doing chores close up.
In Presbylasik or Multifocal LASIK different power zones are created for seeing at varying distances - near , intermediate and distance vision. Consulting a doctor is best as he or she can help you to decide on the right course of action.
I am having -6 no. Of my specs. And again I am not able to see things clearly. Is there any way to stop eyesight no. From increasing?
1) Dates are free from cholesterol and contain very low fat. Dates are rich in vitamins and minerals.
2) They are rich source of protein, dietary fiber and rich in vitamin B1, B2, B3 and B5 along with vitamin A1 and C.
3) It helps improve the digestive system as it contains soluble and insoluble fibers and different kinds of amino acids.
4) Dates are great energy boosters as they contain natural sugars like glucose, sucrose and fructose. To get more advantage add dates to milk and make it a very nutritious snack.
5)Dates are very low in calories and are extremely suitable for health conscious people.
6) Dates are rich in potassium and reduced in sodium. This helps regulate a healthy nervous system. Researches have revealed the fact that potassium intake up to a certain extent can reduce risk of stroke.
7) Dates also help in lowering of the LDL cholesterol.
8) Dates have high iron content and are very useful in treating anemia. The patients can eat many dates for better advantages.
9) Dates also have fluorine that slows down the process of tooth decay.
10) It helps people suffering from constipation. Soak dates overnight and take it along with water to have added advantage.
11) Dates help in weight gain and are beneficial for those who suffer from over slimming problem.
12) Dates are excellent for alcoholic intoxication.Cures abdominal cancer.
13) It also helps in improving eye sight and helps in curing night blindness as well.
I am 22 years old and I have problem in my eye so pain in my eye on time of long time see mobile or laptop display please suggest the solution of my problem.
The skin around the eyes is usually one of the first areas to show signs of aging. There are four noticeable changes that occur around our eyes as we get older. These are:
- Sagging upper eyelids
- Eye bags
- Scleral show
There are many causes for these conditions and they affect each person differently. While some people show signs of aging early, others continue to look youthful for longer.
Let's take a look at four common causes for our eyes to show signs of aging:
- Loss of fat and bone tissue: As we age, the fat in our facial muscles begins to clump up and shifts downwards. As this happens skin begins to sag. The loss of fat is also accompanied by a loss in bone tissue. This makes the skin under the eyes sag further as they lose their underlying support. A loss of fat and bone tissue also leads to hollow surfaces on the skin which results in dark circles.
- Loss of collagen: Collagen is a protein that gives the skin its strength and structure. It is also important in the production of new skin cells. Collagen production is affected by a number of factors such as exposure to UV radiation, smoking and high sugar intake. While these are controllable factors, one uncontrollable factor that affects the production of collagen is aging. As the number of candles on our birthday cakes increases, the production of collagen reduces. With the loss of collagen, skin becomes thinner and veins become more visible. This also results in a thinner epidermis that makes fine lines appear and causes wrinkles around the eyes.
- Loss of elasticity: Along with collagen the other protein responsible for the firmness of skin is elastin. Elastin helps the skin return to its original state after being stretched or pinched. As we grow older, the production of elastin is also reduced. This loss of elasticity is visible around the eyes as skin begins to droop. The eyelid muscles are also one of the most used muscles in our body. We use them unconsciously every time we open and close our eyes, squint, wink etc. As the amount of elastin is reduced the eyelid skin no longer returns to its normal state every time it is used. Thus it triggers the appearance of wrinkled skin around the eyes.
- Weak muscles: Muscles also grow weaker as we get older. This causes the fat sacks to protrude through the skin leading to bags under the eyes and puffiness. A weak levator muscle responsible for lifting the upper eyelids can also cause the eyelid to appear droopy. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a cosmetic-plastic-surgeon.
How can I get rid of my spectacles and make my eyesight normal. Its there any exercise. Please suggest.
Total or partial opacification of transparent lens of the eye is termed as cataract. Such opacification essentially occurs in old age but it can occur in children or young age due to diabetes, trauma, congenital causes, use of steroid drops in the eyes or secondary to glaucoma.
Cataract affects vision depending upon its degree and location. Very slight cataract at the posterior pole can obstruct central vision and cause marked glare blindness or inability to read small letters whereas, cataract in the cortical area may take long time to affect vision.
Treatment: no medicines can cure cataract. Once it occurs, it has to be operated.
When to get operated?
When you are professionally blind or unable to carry out your routine duties/work. A driver or a watch repairer has to operate very early due to glare blindness whereas an old lady can wait for some time. It is ideal to get the surgery done with immature or early cataract than to wait for the cataract to get mature. A mature or hypermature cataract is difficult and risky to operate.
Phacoemulsification with ultrasonic rays is the modern method os surgery. You get only 2-3 mm of an incision, no sutures. The lens is emulsified and aspirated and a foldable IOL (lens) is injected by a syringe which unfolds and occupy the same space as your original lens. 10 minutes surgery with practically no pain. This lens lasts for a life time and gives you youthful vision.
The surgery can be performed even in patients with diabetes or hypertension and at any age. Maybe 90-100. Practically no post-op restrictions.