Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Manoharan.G
Submit a review for Dr. Manoharan.GYour feedback matters!
Colon cancer is believed to be one of the common types of cancer affecting people. As the name suggests, here, the point of origin of the cancer is the colon or the large intestine. Though colon cancer can affect anyone, people with unhealthy lifestyle (sedentary) and habits (excess smoking and consumption of alcohol), obesity, certain medical conditions like diabetes, or exposed to radiations (radiation therapy) are at a greater risk of colon cancer. Colon cancer may also be hereditary.
Colon cancer usually proceeds through five stages, stage 0 (zero), stage I, II, III and IV.
- In stage 0, cancer remains in situ, (it remains confined within the innermost layer of the colon).
- In stage I, cancer slowly starts spreading to the other layers (second and third) of the inner walls of the colon.
- In stage II, cancer spreads further to the muscular walls of the colon (the lymph nodes, are, however, still not affected by this condition).
- In stage III, cancer spreads outside the colon, affecting one or more lymph nodes.
- Stage IV is more severe and metastatic. Here cancer has spread to and affected vital organs like the liver and the lungs.
Many of the symptoms do not appear at the initial stages. As a result, colon cancer mostly gets detected at a later (often metastatic) stage. Thus, a person should be alert. The initial symptoms, no matter how trivial, should be taken seriously. There is no harm in seeking medical help. It will only help you in the long run.
The following symptoms are often the initial or first signs of something as big as colon cancer.
- Unexplained poor appetite followed by sudden and rapid weight loss. Losing weight at an alarming rate without sweating it out needs thorough investigation. More than often, colon cancer interferes with the digestion process in a person. A person is not able to eat well. There is a feeling of being full (irrespective of how much you eat) all the time.
- Constipation, gas or (and) diarrhea. Often overlooked and mistaken for common bowel disorder, these are some of the initial symptoms of colon cancer. The symptoms may be an outcome of polyps (abnormal tissue growths that can take place in any organs. These polyps are mostly benign in nature) or malignant tumors in the colon. Seek medical help if the conditions persist for more than a week. It is better to be safe than to be sorry.
- A person feels exhausted, sleepy and weak all the time. The symptom may be an outcome of iron deficiency and anemia. Colon cancer can cause injury to the digestive tract. There may be bleeding followed by blood loss and hence the associated symptoms.
- Mild to severe abdominal pain. The abdomen also appears tender than usual (in the case of metastatic tumor).
- Stomach upset accompanied by pain, nausea, vomiting, cramps and at times, indigestion (an outcome of intestinal obstruction and inflammation).
- There may be blood while passing stool.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hello doctor, I am 26 years old pregnant women of 3 months. I am experiencing severe constipation problem and I am passing blood along with stool. I am worried about blood coming. Is it too dangerous. Please help me out.
Which medicine is more effective in relief from acidity and bloating ,sompraz D 40 or omiflux? My report shows 4.4 mm echogenic face in the lumen of gallbladder gallstone (soft calculus) and I suffer highly from acidity and abdominal pain.
Hi ,ma'am i'm 18 year guy and I've been facing gastric problem since I can remember, please help me, I do drink water a lot every morning empty tummy. My main question was, will drinking eno everyday empty tummy solve up my gastric problem.
Sir, I am 26 year old earlier at the age of 20 to 24 I started using drug (pill) everyday which name is sparxmo proxyvon but after 3 year of stop using this pill sometime I feel pain at my stomach and frequently I do pee even not digested the food I ate so what to do it is the side effect or what.
What is the remedy of acidity. I take alcohol daily but limited. No any other side effect in my body.
Hello sir, I am 26 years old male, having back-pain for last 6 months and at same time right abdomen pain. What should I do? please suggest some needful. Thank you.
Acidity gives you tremendous discomfort. The stomach condition wherein acid levels of the gastric juices are much more than normal is known as hyperacidity. It causes uneasiness alongside symptoms like loss of appetite, heartburn, unexpected stomach pain, etc. According to Ayurveda, the main cause of this condition is the worsening of the Pitta Dosha (the fire element) in your body.
The reasons that worsen this dosha are:
- Having foods that don't match your constitution or which aren't supposed to be had like milk and salt or milk and fish
- Extremely spicy and sour beverages and foods
- White flour products
- Products made from white sugar
- Excessive intake of coffee and tea
- Having food even though you may be suffering from indigestion
- Controlling the urge to urinate or pass stool
- Prolonged exposure to heat and the sun
What happens to your digestive power?
The exacerbated Pitta worsens your digestive fire, causing your food to be not properly digested as well as influence the production of ama (toxins). When ama builds up in your various digestive channels, it brings about the problem of hyperacidity. The treatment focuses on calming down the irritated Pitta Dosha. For this, certain herbs are used to get rid of the toxins that block these channels. This automatically improves your digestive fire, bringing about better digestion.
What changes you're required to make?
To keep this problem at bay, there are certain lifestyle changes that you may have to make such as:
- To curb the consumption of acidic foods like garlic, onions, ginger, vinegar, and tomatoes
- Avoid having curd/yogurt at night
- Practice yoga and Pranayam like Bhujangasana, Vajrasana, Shitkari Pranayam and so on
- Avoid fermented as well as processed foods
- Avoid coffee, tea, alcoholic or carbonated beverages
If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.