Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. K.V.S. PrasadYour feedback matters!
I am suffering from abdominal disorder. The acid has increased and I am taking medication for last 3 months but no improvement. Probably it is gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD). My stomach also have edema (swelling). There was infection in the stomach due to bacteria H. Pylori but now it has been treated. Kindly suggest the ways to treat acid problem and edema in the stomach. Thanks.
What is ibs and cause of it. I suffer from constipation with ibs and also problem gas and suffer sometimes loose stools ,after comes from toilet ,i feel like watery stools drop inside wear ,i feel mentally disturb from 2 years, please help.
The acids help the body dissolve the food particles and also break it down to more basic elements. However, when the body produces too much acid, it causes acid reflux which can cause discomfort. Too much acid within the body, which is also known as hyperacidity, can be caused by a multitude of factors.
Known and effective Ayurvedic cures: Ayurveda considers acidity to be a 'Pitta' problem and it can be corrected by following certain simple steps. There are other food ingredients which are also used as remedial tools. Let's have a look at some of the dos and don'ts of Ayurvedic remedies for acidity.
Don'ts for acidity according to Ayurveda:
1. Limit junk food and other foods, which are very heavy in fats and processed items: Most processed foods and junk food usually made in stores contain unhealthy fats. The stomach needs to produce more acid in order to digest them and thus may end up causing acidity.
2. Stop excessive consumption of tea, coffee: Stop consumption of caffeinated beverages such as tea, coffee and other caffeine injected drinks which may encourage the production of more stomach acids.
3. Stop the consumption of alcohol and cooperates: Apart from being generally bad for health as both of these are known contributors of cancers, they can even affect smaller day to day functions and can lead to acidity.
4. Don't consume foods which are high in acidic content: If you tend to like food which is very high in acidic content, it is advisable to limit its consumption. Some examples of this are:
- Sour citrus fruits
- Salty fried foods
Dos for acidity according to Ayurveda:
There are multiple solutions for acidity in Ayurveda which have been known cures for generations. Let's take a look at some of these.
- Do have meals on time: It is best to not skip meals as this can cause the acidity levels within the stomach to rise if it doesn't have any food to digest. It is especially harmful to skip breakfast and then have a heavy lunch to compensate.
- Do have amla or Indian gooseberry: This is a very effective weapon against acidity and chewing a few morsels will easily cure the problems in your stomach.
- Pomegranate Juice: Very small quantities of Pomegranate juice on a daily basis will be very beneficial for a bad case of acid reflux.
- Coconut water: Drink coconut water as it is known to have properties to neutralize the stomach acids.
- Aniseed: Also known as saunf, you can chew them raw and slowly swallow with water for quick relief from acidity.
- Jeera: Jeera consumed with warm ghee and then mixed with rice tends to be very good for acidity as well. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a ayurveda and ask a free question.