Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Submit a review for Dr. Jayanthi VYour feedback matters!
What Is Biliary Tract Disorder?
Acute calculus cholecystitis is an inflammation of the gallbladder that develops in the setting of an obstructed cystic or bile duct. It usually develops after 5 hours of biliary-type pain. The initial inflammation is caused by chemical irritation, and bacterial infection probably is a secondary event.
malignant neoplasm of the gallbladder
malignant neoplasm of other parts of biliary tract
extrahepatic bile duct
ampulla of Vater
others (excluding postcholecystectomy syndrome), but including
other obstructions of the gallbladder (like strictures)
hydrops, perforation, fistula
K83: other diseases of the biliary tract:
cholangitis (including ascending cholangitis and primary sclerosing cholangitis)
obstruction, perforation, fistula of biliary tract
spasm of sphincter of Oddi
Symptoms of possible biliary disease:
Although symptoms may differ among bile duct disorders, symptoms common to many of the disorders include:
Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes)
Abdominal pain, especially in the upper right side of the abdomen under the rib cage
Nausea or vomiting
Loss of appetite, which may result in weight loss
Fever or chills
Light brown urine
Greasy or clay-colored stools
The tests performed vary according to the suspected bile duct disorder. However, tests commonly performed to diagnose many bile duct disorders may include:
*Liver function tests
*Computed tomography (CT) scan
*Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
*Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or spastic colon is a rather common intestinal tract disease which is characterized by sharp pain in the stomach, stomach gas, diarrhea or constipation. It is a chronic condition whose exact cause, although unknown, is sometimes attributed to the dysfunctional production of the neurotransmitter, dopamine.
There is no particular treatment for IBS. However, the symptoms can be brought under control through various methods. The symptoms of IBS can be controlled by making lifestyle changes such as incorporating certain modifications to your diet and reducing or managing stress levels. For severe symptoms, you may require medications.
Patients may also consider homeopathic treatment for a rather wholesome effect and lesser side effects. The purpose of homeopathic treatment is to stimulate the body’s inner self-balancing mechanisms. In order to achieve this, this person must be provided with the right solution at the right time. Since homeopathy aims at treating the root cause of the problem, the treatment is stretched over a longer period of time. Additionally, homeopathy functions by stimulating the natural healing capabilities of the body. Some of the common homeopathic medications that can be used to treat IBS are listed below:
- Pulsatilla: Prepared from a medicinal plant known as wind flower, Pulsatilla is effective in the cure of IBS with its remedying effect on the gastrointestinal tract.
- Nux Vomica: This too is derived from a plant and has a positive effect on the digestive and nervous system, thereby being effective in the treatment of IBS.
- Sulphur: It is one of the most common choices among homeopathic practitioners for IBS. Sulphur affects the digestive tract and is helpful in the treatment of intestinal gas and constipation. It is usually prescribed for individuals who are rather thin and physically weak.
- Lycopodium Clavatum: This is mainly prescribed for people with diarrhea and stomach gas. This drug acts specifically on the gastrointestinal tract
- Asafoetida: This drug is prescribed when there is a fairly common constriction in the bowel muscles. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!