Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Endocrinologists in India. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Endocrinologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. H.Mitalee Barman
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Pre And Post Delivery Care
Sperm Donor Program
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. H.Mitalee BarmanYour feedback matters!
Parkinson's disease is a disorder of the brain that leads to tremors and difficulty with walking, movement and coordination. It most often develops in people age 50 or older and is one of the most common nervous system disorders of the elderly, according to the National Institutes of Health. There is no known cure.
The major 12-year study in Taiwan found that while diabetes increases the risk of Parkinson's 2.2 fold, including metformin in the therapy negates that risk.
“An exciting aspect of the finding is that metformin seems to be working to protect the brain against neurodegeneration which contributes to Parkinsonism. This means it may also be considered a relevant therapy for the prevention of dementia as well,” said Mark Wahlqvist, professor at the National Health Research Institutes in Taiwan and lead author of the study.
Metformin is the first-line medication for patients with type 2 diabetes. This affordable and commonly prescribed oral drug lowers blood glucose levels by decreasing the amount of glucose produced by the liver and enhancing insulin action. It's a type of biguanide drug used since the 1950s with a relatively safe record.
Researchers also found that use of sulfonylurea drugs, a common treatment for diabetes, further increases the risk by about 57 percent.
Sylfonylureas are a category of oral medications that stimulate the beta cells of the pancreas to release more insulin, according to the American Diabetes Association. Sylfonylurea drugs have been in use since the 1950s and include glipizide, glyburide, glimepiride and chlorpropamide.
Researchers theorize that metformin may re-set the regulation of energy metabolism in the brain cells. They suspect that exercise and diet may have the same energy regulating effect.
The study does not examine the mechanism behind metformin's protective effect on the brain. Researchers say that additional research is needed in this area.
Past research has shown that metformin reduces cardiovascular mortality and several cancers, including those of the large bowel, liver and pancreas.
I got confused as different doctors and dietician have different opinion regarding sugar free whether to take or not. But being as a patient what should be followed. What are the side effects of sugarfree. Does it increases the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Hormones are chemicals produced by the body for optimal functioning of the various body systems. The thyroid produces thyroxin which controls body metabolism, and reduced levels affect metabolism. Deficiency of Iodine is the cause behind it as it is required by the body to produce thyroxin. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis which is an autoimmune disorder is another cause.
Some common signs of it are extreme fatigue, intolerance to cold, constipation, puffy face, hoarseness of voice, increased cholesterol level, weight gain, muscle and joint pains and aches, altered menstruation and depression are some of the common symptoms.
Homeopathy has some very good remedies that are aimed at managing the person as a whole and not just the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
- Calcarea Carbonica: The most common and popular homeopathic medicine, it is useful in patients who present with the following symptoms.
- Intolerance to cold
- Fat, flabby, fair person
- Excessive sweating on the head
- Peculiar food habits including craving for eggs, chalk, pencils, lime,
- Aversion to fatty food substances
- Constipation i.e. first part of stool is hard followed by softer stools
- Excessive menstruation, prolonged and occurs earlier than the regular date, almost always associated with cold feet
- Sepia Officinalis: Another significant remedy, Sepia is used when the patient has the following symptoms.
- Weak, pale yellow, tend to faint easily in cold temperatures
- Extreme intolerance to cold, even in a warm room
- Irritable, indifferent
- Significant hair loss
- Excessive menstruation, occurs earlier than schedule, along with a bearing down feeling that the pelvic organs will pop out through the vagina, and so she always prefers to sit cross-legged
- Constipation i.e. stool is passed out as small balls that is painful to pass
- Craving for pickles and acidic food stuffs
- Lycopodium Clavatum: Symptoms of patients in whom Lycopodium will be used are as follows:
- Emotionally irritable and physically weak
- Yellow face with blue circles around eyes
- Excessive hair fall
- Craving for hot foods and sweets
- Gastric troubles with excessive flatulence
- Acidity that worsens after eating starchy foods, especially in the evenings
- Constipation with hard, painful, incomplete stooling
- Graphites: Presenting symptoms where Graphites is mainly used include:
- Intolerance to cold
- Depressed emotionally, timid, indecisive, weeps listening to music
- Bloated, gassy abdomen
- Chronic constipation with hard, painful stooling process
- Nux Vomica: The patient in whom Nux Vomica can produce wonderful results presents with the following symptoms:
- Cold to the touch
- Extremely temperamental, gets offended easily, extremely sensitive
- Chronic constipation with scanty stools and a chronic urge to pass stools
- Gassy, bloated feeling in the stomach
- Desire for alcohol, caffeine, and other stimulations; fatty and spicy foods
- Prolonged excessive menstruation
These are commonly used remedies; however, a detailed discussion with a homeopath is essential to zero in on the remedy that will work best for you.