Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Pre And Post Delivery Care
Sperm Donor Program
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Submit a review for M.V. Hospital for Diabetes & Diabetes Research CentreYour feedback matters!
The glycemic index is a measure of food containing carbohydrates and how it can raise the level of glucose in blood. This is essentially a process where every food is ranked based on a reference food such as white bread. A food with a high GI value increases the level of glucose in the blood compared to a food with a GI that is medium or low. Some of the common examples of food with a low GI include legumes and dried beans. Fats and meats are not included in the index due to the non-availability of carbohydrate in them.
Some common foods with a GI of 55 or less include bread made up of pumpernickel and whole wheat, muesli, oatmeal, bulgur, barley, pasta, yam, lentils, sweet potato, converted rice, corn, non-starchy fruits, and vegetables. A food set with medium GI in the range of 56 to 69 includes quick oats, basmati rice, pita bread and couscous. Some example of foods with high GI value in the range of 70 includes pineapple, russet potato, white bread, macaroni, puffed rice, corn flakes, rice cakes and melons.
What influences GI?
Since GI has nothing to do with fibre and fat, some general findings of the GI count are as follows:
When a food is processed or cooked, the GI tends to increase
More the storage time of the food, the higher is the GI. It is applicable for ready to cook food and frozen food as well.
The higher is the GI count, more the ripeness of a fruit or vegetable.
Converted food items tend to have a lower GI as compared to the original version of the food
What are the other considerations?
While the GI value gives first-hand knowledge about the type of carbohydrate a person is consuming, it is hard of any help when it comes to the amount of carbohydrate intake. Portion size, therefore, still plays an important role for patients suffering from diabetes. The GI count of a food item greatly varies when combined with a food which has higher GI or lower GI for that matter. Nutritious food that is extremely beneficial for the body, tends to have a higher GI count. For instance, the GI count of oatmeal is greater than that of a chocolate.
Which one is more effective?
While there is no hard and fast rule for maintaining the carbohydrate count, an approach that is equally balanced between a GI count and carbohydrate count works best for a patient. Both the type of carbohydrate as well as the count of carbohydrate plays a crucial role in keeping the blood sugar level under control.
My Mother 52 years old having blood sugar since 2009, presently her level is as follows: fasting% - 270 mg/dl pp% - 340 mg/dl requesting you to please suggest the needful as well as her diet chart?
I want to know that if sugar level is 200 then how I control it. Give me some tips of food habits and daily routine work.
Diabetes is a pervading disease as it does not spare any system of your body. The increased sugar level affects everything from circulation to vision to kidneys. Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in the eyes in the age group of 25 to 75.
Some of the common eye problems caused by diabetes are listed below
- Blurred vision: Increased sugar levels can cause blurred vision. While most people might jump to getting a corrective lens, it may not be needed in all cases. Try getting the sugar levels to normal levels and see the vision improve. It may take up to 3 months, but it is definitely possible to do away with the lens.
- Cataracts: Clouding of the lens which is known as cataracts can set in early when there is diabetes. Worsening of cataracts also is at a quicker pace with diabetics. The blurring of vision and glare can set in, which would require removal of the clouded lens and placement of an artificial lens.
- Glaucoma: There is always a certain amount of pressure on the eyes, known as intraocular pressure. This pressure increases significantly in diabetics, leading to vision changes and damage to nerves and blood vessels. Glaucoma can cause dryness in the eyes, as there is less amount of liquid that the eye makes. There could also be headaches, eye pains, blurred vision, and vision loss. In addition to eye drops, surgery and laser can also be used for correction.
- Diabetic retinopathy: The retina is a layer on which image of an object falls, and from there, a message is sent to the brain to identify an object. However, in people with increased sugar levels, the blood vessels in the retina can be damaged, leading to vision problems and even blindness. Greater the sugar levels, greater the damage. There could be people who have lost vision due to this condition. Periodic checkups are advised to ensure that the vision is constantly monitored. There could be black spots or holes in the vision, flashes of light, and even blurring of vision gradually resulting in a complete loss.
Some eye care tips:
Now that we know diabetes affects the eyes adversely, the following are some effective tips to ensure good eye health is maintained.
- If sugar levels are not well controlled, more frequent checkups are advised, else, annual checkup should suffice.
- Monitor and control the blood sugar and A1c levels
- Monitor and control blood pressure levels, as combined with higher blood sugar levels, the damage is exponential
- Quit smoking
- Monitor and control cholesterol levels
- Healthy diet with lots of vitamins, minerals, and protein
- Exercise to help in improving overall quality of life
My dad is a diabetic patient around 14 days ago a small blister with red swelling was sighted when we consulted the doctor after 7 days of home treatment he told that its a CARBUNCLE now he had developed 2 carbuncles side by side the condition of carbuncle is like a wound the doctor told us it need to be operated. Is operation the only treatment? He is also a heart patient please help me for that
hello Doctor I am 47 years by age & diabetic around blood sugar 270 after food. I was prescribed to go on insulin. But I am trying to pull it down with given Tablets & lots of exercise. But at times it passes months I am unable to satisfy my sexual life. Can you prescribe any additional medicine for betterment. Thanks.
I am 21 years old Male. I have a hypothyroidism and I am taking thyroidinum 3x but I want to know when is the good time to take this tablet, after or before eating? And how much gap should be there?
My husband is diabetic from last 8 years, his age is 44 yrs. Recently he had viral fever, since then he is feeling extremely tired and exhausted. Please suggest diet and also does he need a full body checkup?
please tell me sir USG of Neck done for thyroid reported as "Few Bilateral small volume lymph nodes noted at Level II, III & IV with intact hilum, largest measuring 14 * 6 mm" Is this concerning? No palpable or visible neck swellings and patient doesn't have any problems or symptoms.
Hi please tell me How to cure diabetes? Please give a suggestions. My father suffering for a long time.
The presence of high sugar content in the blood over a long period of time indicates diabetes or diabetes mellitus. This condition is characterized by frequent urination and an increased appetite and thirst. It is a metabolic disease which occurs when the pancreas stop producing sufficient amounts of insulin. Diabetes may lead to several other health conditions in a person too.
Homeopathy is considered to be an effective medicine for the treatment of diabetes. It is a trusted branch of medical science, which works naturally without having any side effects on the body. Here are the best homeopathic medicines used for treating diabetes, along with the conditions when they are used:
Abroma Augusta: This is an ideal homeopathic medicine used for treating diabetes where there is flesh loss and weakness. In some types of diabetes, a patient tends to lose flesh and feels extremely weak. The patient suffers from increased thirst and experiences mouth dryness. Increased appetite and frequent urination are also felt. After urination, the patient gets fatigued. This medicine also treats sleeplessness in diabetic patients, as well as skin problems such as carbuncles, burning sensation and boils due to diabetes.
Phosphorus: This is an efficient homeopathic medicine to treat diabetes where the patient experiences vision weakness. This medicine is used depending on the primary symptoms only and gives relief to patients who experience difficulty with vision because of diabetes.
Syzygium Jambolanum: This is another efficient homeopathic medicine, which is used to treat diabetic patients, especially for the reduction of sugar levels. It also addresses problems like excessive thirst and urge for urination. Long standing ulcers in diabetic patients are effectively cured by this medicine as well.
Phosphoric Acid: This is an ideal homeopathic medicine for treating extreme weakness in a diabetic patient. The weakness may be mental or physical and the patient may feel very exhausted all the time, and develop a weak memory or become forgetful. The patient also might remain depressed and feel numbness in the feet.
Gymnema Sylvestre:This is a great natural homeopathic medicine used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus. It is used when a diabetic patient loses weight and feels great exhaustion and weakness in general. In many patients, this medicine treats these symptoms and also improves general health. The patient gains weight, and energy levels are revived.
Diabetes is a serious health condition, which may slowly lead to several other health complications. But with homeopathy, the underlying cause of the condition is treated in a safe manner. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.
I am suffering from hyper Thyroid. My T3 is 343, T4 is 17 and TSH is less than 0.01.l have not yet started any medicine. My throat has a swelling in low intensity since last 7 months. I have also gas problem. Please advice me what medicine I will take and any restrictions in my diet. I am 42 year old from Bhubaneswar. I was 65 kg in jan 17, now I am 56 kg.
Nothing in the world can be more precious and valuable than holding and cuddling your baby for the first time. For most, pregnancy and parenthood gives a new dimension to their lives. It completes their family. People wait with bated breath for the beautiful phase to unfold. However, of late, infertility has been on the rise. As per a survey, 1 in every 1000, suffers from infertility issues. Infertility in males, as well as females, can be triggered by factors such as stress (personal or professional), unhealthy and sedentary lifestyle, unhealthy food habits, obesity, medical complications.
Medical assistance and treatments are available, but some of the treatments are way too expensive or have harmful and undesirable side effects. In this regard, homeopathy comes as a much-needed blessing. It is natural and has negligible or no side effects. Furthermore, most of the homeopathic medications are affordable, leaving you with only a small pinch in the pocket.
The first step in homeopathic treatment is identifying the root cause of infertility. In males, infertility can be due to
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Low semen count.
- Sexually transmitted infections like gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- Small testes or testicular injury.
- Abnormal or premature ejaculation.
- Obstruction in Vas deferens (Ejaculatory duct).
- Varicocele, Prostatitis.
Female infertility may be due to
- Thyroid problems.
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), Endometriosis.
- Hormonal imbalance and irregular periods.
- Uterine fibroid.
- STD's like gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- Blocked fallopian tube.
- Uterine (cervix) abnormality.
Certain lifestyle habits and environmental factors also contribute towards male and female infertility.
Homeopathy to treat male infertility:
Some of the homeopathic medicines work wonders to improve male infertility.
- Caladium Seguinum: Erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation can be effectively treated with Caladium Seguinum (American Arum). In some men, erectile dysfunction results in pruritus (severe itching) in the genital organs. Caladium is the best bet to deal with pruritus.
- Agnus Castus (Chaste Tree): Agnus Castus is used to treat both male and female infertility. Men with erectile dysfunction, low libido, and low sperm count benefit immensely from this medicine. This medicine is a blessing for women with menstrual problems (irregular periods, heavy or scanty periods).
- Lycopodium Clavatum (Wolf's Foot): Men with serious erectile dysfunction (due to stress, anxiety) benefit from this medicine.
- Calcarea Carbonica: This medicine is helpful for men with a high libido but premature ejaculation.
- Conium: Conium is used to treat low libido and weak erections in men.
Homeopathy to treat female infertility:
- Pulsatilla: This homeopathic medicine comes as a relief for females who have infertility due to PCOD and irregular periods.
- Sepia: Infertility resulting from menstrual problems (scanty and short periods) can be successfully treated with Sepia. It is also helpful in case of women with hypoactive sexual desire.
- Natrum Carb: This homeopathic medicine is used to treat women who are unable to retain the sperm.
- Aletris Farinosa: This medicine is used to treat infertility triggered by heavy periods.
Though effective, these medicines should not be used without medical prescription and recommendation. Self-medication will do more harm than good. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.
The fallopian tubes are not mere passages for the egg to travel from the ovaries to the uterus. It is here that conception occurs and hence healthy fallopian tubes are essential for the fertilization of an egg.
Damaged fallopian tubes are the most common cause of infertility. This damage can fall under three categories:
- Blocked fallopian tubes
- One blocked and one open fallopian tube
- Tubal scarring
The third is usually an effect of pelvic infections or natural healing after a pelvic surgery. Sadly, in most cases, this condition is discovered only after infertility has been diagnosed. Other causes of fallopian tubal scarring include:
- STDs such as chlamydia trachomatis and neisseria gonorrhea
- Adhesions caused by ruptured ovarian cysts
- Peritonitis and
- A history of ectopic pregnancies
Fallopian tubal scarring has no recognizable symptoms. Chronic pelvic pain is the only known symptom of this damage and that too can be seen only in severe cases of tubal scarring. On diagnosing infertility, your doctor will perform one of these tests to determine the condition of your fallopian tubes.
- Hysterosalpingogram: This is a type of X-ray. Your doctor will open the vagina with a speculum and inject a liquid into the uterus with the help of a catheter. If the liquid does not pass through the fallopian tubes, it is said to be blocked. This however does not say much about tubal scarring.
- Laparoscopy: A small incision is made below the belly button and a slim, flexible tube with a camera is passed through the incision. This gives your doctor a clear view of the condition of your fallopian tubes. A laparoscopy can also be used to rule out other causes of infertility such as endometriosis or blocked fallopian tubes.
Treatment for infertility caused by tubal scarring is of two types.
- Surgery: This is suggested in cases where tubal scarring is minimal. Depending on the intensity and placement of scar tissue, your doctor may decide to perform one of many types of surgeries. She may choose to remove the scarred section of the fallopian tube, create a new opening (in case of blockages) or rebuild the damaged edges of the fallopian tubes.
- In Vitro Fertilization(IVF): Women with badly scarred fallopian tubes usually have poor chances of conceiving naturally. Hence, IVF is the preferred treatment route. However, your doctor may still advise you to undergo surgery and remove the damaged tubes prior to IVF to prevent the tubes from filling with fluid.
In large number of cases of tubal scarring tubes would be open on tubal testing. However, it may not be working well or is functional. A lot of women with so called unexplained infertility may actually have tubal scarring or non functional tubes as the cause of Infertility. IVF is the best treatment option in such cases as it would bypass the work of the tubes completely. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an IVF Specialist.