Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Gowri ShankarYour feedback matters!
I have 4 months child and she is suffering gas problem she cry please help me to solve this problem.
Hello gynecologist mam, I just want to know for new born baby when we can identified like whom. She looks like exactly? Now she s looks like my husband 20 days completes. For her.
My daughter has allergic problem in out side food she get rashes on hand and legs she feel like doing scratches suggests me some medicine.
Hello. My daughter is one year old. She has been suffering from cold and cough since a week. I am giving her sinarest AF and Brozeet. What else I have to give? Should I massage mustard oil on her feet? Pl help.
My grandson, aged 2 years and 3 months now is struggling to speak except for words like Papa, Bike, Car, Horse. He is not speaking words with'M' including Mama. What should we do?
The baby is 4 months old and drinks very less milk, during feeding she drinks for only 2-3 minutes and after that for many hours she doesn't drink. Just keep on licking her finger the whole day. And doesn't feel hungry.
My Son is of two years of told. Still he cries and fights with my wife for breast feeding. How to make him to leave it?
My baby is of 15 months he is eating nothing not even any intake of milk he never feel hungry even I give some homeopathic medicine for his hunger but they dosent work on it what to do.
My son is 4 year old and many time he is suffering blood from nose. Last night my son suffering blood from nose around 4 a. M around 15 drops of blood so after some time stop blood after he lay down straight. But in morning around 8 a. M again blood come from nose. Please explain what is the reason and solution for it.
My daughter 4 years old. Everytime we feed her lunch or dinner she tend to vommit. This problem is going on for a couple of months?
I am having a one year old baby boy. He is not eating anything besides needed milk by his mother. What should we do?
my 4 month baby boy is currently admitted in Apollo hospital as he is suffering from bacterial meningitis because of which there is occurrence of subdural fluid between brain and skull which is the side effect though meningitis has improved a lot. This fluid is probably not infectious and thus hardly any chance of surgery. I want to know the Ayurveda treatment in current situation and also to avoid it's future side effects. Please suggest.
My son 1 year and 5 months old he suffered from cystic fibrosis. Still we are continuing medicine. My son weight s only 6.5 kg. What can I do for weight gaining?
My daughter is 4 years old and her skin is sensitive to insect bites (Mostly Mosquito). She develops bumps and rashes after bite. She can’t stop rubbing it again and again which converts it to a wound and in many places in her hand and leg she has black patch for this. Is there a medicine which will help reducing the sensitivity and what is the best medicine for after bite.
We all got together to indulge into our favourite foods this holiday season, where platter overflowed with sweet, spicy and acidic foods. However, when it comes to teeth, sugar isn’t the only culprit that cause tooth decay. High levels of acid in everyday foods and drinks are equally harmful. Lemons to wine, high-acid foods and drinks erode your teeth, causing decay, sensitivity and discoloration. But that doesn’t mean you have to strike all acidic foods and drinks from your diet. The way you consume these items can lessen their damage on your teeth.
It is a type of tooth wear where, the protective surface of your teeth or the enamel wears away exposing the underlying material, called dentin. This leaves your tooth vulnerable to tartar, plaque and bacteria, which cause decay.
Causes of tooth erosion:
Calcium is a key ingredient in building strong teeth. Unfortunately, exposing your teeth to acid can leach calcium from your enamel, causing this protective surface to break down. Foods which have Ph. below 5.0 to 5.7 are acidic. This acid can come from many sources, including the following:
· Carbonated drinks. All soft drinks, including “diet” options, contain high levels of acid that can easily dissolve your enamel.
· Wine. Whether you choose red, white or rosé, drinking wine will soften your enamel.
· Pickles. Which are traditionally seen in an Indian platter
· Fruit juice. The most acidic options include lemon, cranberry, orange and apple.
· Citric fruits. Snacking or sucking on lemons, oranges and limes can wear down your teeth.
· Candy. No sugary sweets are good for your teeth, but you should pay extra attention to avoid sour gummies and candies.
· Sugar. Even though sugar itself does not contain high levels of acidity, it promotes the growth of acid-creating bacteria in your mouth, creating an acidic environment.
· Stomach acid. Vomiting and reflux also can cause serious tooth damage when stomach acid comes into contact with your teeth. If you suffer from an eating disorder, acid reflux or a related condition, seek professional help.
Signs of tooth erosion
Acid wear may lead to serious dental problems. It is important to notice the signs of tooth erosion in its early stages (sensitivity and discoloration) before more severe damage occur, such as cracks, pain and decay.
· Sensitivity. As your teeth’s protective enamel wears away, you may feel a twinge of pain when you consume hot, cold or sweet food and drink. As more enamel is worn away, teeth become increasingly sensitive.
· Discoloration. Teeth can become increasingly yellow as the thinning enamel layer exposes the underlying dentin.
· Rounded teeth. Your teeth may have a rounded or “sand-blasted” look.
· Sharp edges. You might notice thinning of teeth with sharp edges which might cut your tongue and cheeks.
· Transparency. Your front teeth may appear slightly translucent near the edges.
· Cracks. Small cracks and roughness may appear at the edges of teeth.
· Cupping. Small dents may appear on the chewing surface of the teeth, and fillings may appear to be rising up out of the tooth.
What you can do to prevent tooth erosion
Follow these tips to reduce the effects of acid on your teeth.
· Eating higher pH. Food alongside. This helps in lowering the acidity. Includes food like nuts, cheese, oatmeal, mangoes, melons, banana, apples, eggs, vegetables, brown rice and whole grains.
· Eat with meals. Instead of snacking throughout the day, save acidic foods for mealtimes. This will reduce their contact with your teeth and help neutralize the acid by eating it with other foods.
· Wash down with water. Sip water alongside or after the acidic food or drink to wash it out of your mouth.
· Use a straw. While having acidic beverages, reduce their contact with your teeth by using a straw and finishing the drink quickly, instead of sipping over a long period of time.
· Say no to bubbles. Swap out carbonated drinks with water, milk or tea.
· Wait before brushing. Acid softens your enamel, so brushing immediately after eating or drinking high-acid foods or drinks can actually cause damage. Wait at least half an hour and then start brushing. In the meantime, you can always rinse your mouth with tap water.
· Quit smoking. Studies have showed that smokers are more prone to acidity leading to acid reflux and teeth erosion
· Professional help. See your dentist twice a year for dental cleaning and oral screening.
· Sugar free gums. Chewing on sugar free gums increase the saliva flow which, neutralise the acid and help the teeth to stay strong.