Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. GovindarajYour feedback matters!
My daughter is 4 yrs old and has weight 13 kg consistently for past 1. 5 yrs. Also she is frequently ill by day to day cold, fever and vomiting. We have been taking every care regarding hygeine. Also she suffered from chicken pox 20 days back followed by post viral fever. Her cough also is frequent. In past 4 months she has been infected by sometimes bacterial infection, diarrhea, viral fever resulted of lymph nodes at sides of neck, still in small amt visible. Please advice some kind of medicine/immune system strengthening tonic for her
My 7 n half months old son does not like to have foods breast milk is not enough for him now, he remains hungry but it takes a lot of effort s to feed him daal, cerelac specially cow milk he hates. He looks weak only 7 kg. please suggest what should I give him to gain weight. I am worried kindly help me.
Sir, my daughter is three years old and still her voice is not very clear, she cannot speak a sentence clearly. She's very active by nature. Please help i'm worried.
My son is 3 years old son, he doesn't eat anything, we use" Apti must" hungry syrup, but he doesn't eat anything, please give me a best suggestion?
My daughter is 6 years old and for last 1 week she is having one big boil on her left forehead and in some parts of head along with lower part of left eye having boils and swelling. We are cleaning it with warm water and twice we are putting Himalaya eye drops twice a day. But the boil is in puss formation on her forehead. Please suggest medical reason and cure. Could it be because she ate mangoes during this summer month or probably because of excessive rising temperature of this summer?
My baby loves to eat suji. I gve her the same by just boiling it in the infant formula in her breakfast. She is suffering from paediatric constipation. Should I stop giving her suji? Her age id 2 years 3 months.
My son is 3.5 years old, he got stomach pain first. By taking motion test, the result is hookworm. Then after taking scan, he got mesenteric adenitis. He is taking macox zh kid and senasef. How long will it take to cure? What is the cause for this disease? Is hookworm serious? kindly tell what not to do?
My 2.5 months baby cries a lot. I think because of not passing stool easily. Once she empty her bowel, she looks good and happier. But I am not sure this is the reason. It occurs for 3 4 days without emptying her bowel. Consulted 2 doctors but both recommended neopeptine or similar medicines. She is on mother's breastfeeding. Please suggest.
My son in his tenth month a toddler, he doesn't have a sound sleep, in the night on a average 1 hour he gets distracted, we have to feed him or make him sleep. Also he roles a lot. Both sides. He is a tummy down sleeper. What can we do to improve. We are giving solid foods, fruits etc.
He has completed 9 months but his weight is not increasing from 5th month. His weight is still 8 kg as he was in 5th month. I am giving him diet of meshed cereals, cerelac, and some vegetables (5 meals a day ). Also to mention that he does not like mother's milk, every time he refuses that within a minute or two. Please suggest.
Hi, my daughter. S age is 3 years 4 months, she is having hair problem. She is having some whitish hair. She is taking SHELCAL syrup & FERIS suspension syrup for last 2 months (prescribed by doctor.) she have too much cough & cold problem too. What should we do? Please suggest.
My baby daughter is 4 months old. She is underweight. What all can I give her to feed other than mothers milk? Like orange juice grapes juice? Please help.
Iron is an essential nutrient and mineral that is required by adults and children alike. Iron helps move oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body and helps muscles store and use oxygen. It is especially important for children because it aids development and prevents anaemia. Untreated iron deficiency in children can cause physical and mental delays. It can lead to less healthy red blood cells in the child's blood stream which will cause a delay in the growth of physical and mental faculties.
Risk factors for iron deficiency in children
Infants and children at highest risk of iron deficiency include:
- Babies who are born prematurely or have a low birth weight
- Babies who drink cow's milk before age 1
- Breast-fed babies who aren't given complementary foods containing iron after age 6 months
- Babies who drink formula that isn't fortified with iron
- Children ages 1 to 5 who drink more than 24 ounces (710 milliliters) of cow's milk, goat's milk or soy milk a day
- Children who have certain health conditions, such as chronic infections or restricted diets
- Children ages 1 to 5 who have been exposed to lead
- Adolescent girls also are at higher risk of iron deficiency because their bodies lose iron during menstruation.
Symptoms of iron deficiency anaemia
The signs and symptoms of iron deficiency anaemia in children may include:
- Pale skin
- Fatigue or weakness
- Slow cognitive and social development
- Inflammation of the tongue
- Difficulty maintaining body temperature
- Increased likelihood of infections
- Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or pure starch
Prevent iron deficiency in children
Take steps to prevent iron deficiency in your child by paying attention to his or her diet. For example:
- Breast-feed or use iron-fortified formula. Breast-feeding until your child is age 1 is recommended. If you don't breast-feed, use iron-fortified infant formula.
- Encourage a balanced diet. When you begin serving your baby solids, typically between ages 4 months and 6 months, feed him or her foods with added iron, such as iron-fortified baby cereal. For older children, good sources of iron include red meat, chicken, fish, beans and dark green leafy vegetables. Between ages 1 and 5, don't allow your child to drink more than 24 ounces (710 milliliters) of milk a day.
- Enhance absorption. Vitamin C helps promote the absorption of dietary iron. You can help your child absorb iron by offering foods rich in vitamin C, such as melon, strawberries, kiwi, broccoli, tomatoes and potatoes.
- Consider iron supplements. If your baby was born prematurely or with a low birth weight or you're breast-feeding a baby older than 4 months and he or she isn't eating two or more servings a day of iron-rich foods, talk to a child's doctor about oral iron supplements.
Make sure that you watch out for the tell tale signs of iron deficiency and take the necessary precautions to avoid the same. If you wish to discuss about any specific child related problem, you can consult a specilized pediatrician and ask a free question.