Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychologists in India. You will find Psychologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Sex Addiction Counselling
Submit a review for Dr. GopinathYour feedback matters!
I am 23 years old. My self confidence is very low. Many times it creates problem for me. What should I do to increase my self confidence?
I am 24 years old, I am having anxiety disorder and my heart beats like it will pop out and I thought too much and can't relate to what is going on and having unknown fear and zero excitement.
Hi, I am 23 years. I am a chain smoker. I wanna to quit it, but I can't. Please tell me by how I can quit it for ever.
I got TIA (stroke) two years ago. I am doing really good right now. But, I am deeply into the phobia, that stroke can return again. I am in fear always. How to overcome it. Please suggest measures.
I have serious problem of sleeping antym anywhere wat should I do pls suggest me? I am very disappoint because of my sleep anywhere at anytym even I sleeps in exam too. Because of this I have nt cleared my exam bcz my paper never complete.
Hello Doctor, Due to my past experience with my husband in 10 years of my marriage life, I still doubt my husband I always try to catch him red handed, but still not successful, he lies to me often and later when I know the truth from someone else it's very heart breaking for me. I want to retain this marriage as I have kid too and somewhere he takes care of mine too But his lying and staring at gals habit makes me feel insecure Please help.
Schizophrenia is a psychiatric disorder in which a person’s mood, knowledge, thought and several other characteristics gets disturbed. We can notice most of the adults and old people with few symptoms of schizophrenia, which are most commonly left unidentified. The exact cause of schizophrenia is not yet known. The person feels that they are being constantly watched, they feel the presence of someone or something, which is not actually there. They are always suspicious and think that other people are gossiping and thinking about them.
Possible causes of Schizophrenia
Though the exact cause of schizophrenia is not known there are few factors, which contribute to the cause of schizophrenia.
- Genetic factors: People with a family history of schizophrenia are at higher risk of getting schizophrenia.
- Environmental factors: Environmental factors include excessive stress during pregnancy or later stages of life. Several other factors during pregnancy and childhood are responsible for causing schizophrenia. These factors are:
- Decreased oxygen level during delivery due to premature birth or prolonged labour
- Parental loss or separation in early stages of life
- Parental exposure to virus or during infancy
- Childhood physical or sexual abuse
- Abnormal brain structures and brain chemistry
Sings and symptoms of schizophrenia
- Hallucination: To see, feel or hear anything that really does not exist is known as hallucination.
- Delusion: A thought or belief of a person, which is either false or impossible in reality is known as delusion.
- Thought and speech disturbances: The thought process and speech of a schizophrenic will be disorganized, due to which he or she will fumble or is distracted as they are unable to align their thoughts.
- Difficulty in concentrating: It is difficult for people suffering from schizophrenia to concentrate on the task at hand.
- Erratic behaviour: People suffering from schizophrenia tend to behave erratically, either they will be too jumpy or will be perfectly still for hours at a stretch. Most people belief that those who are suffering from schizophrenia are often violent in nature, which actually is not the case.
Treatment for schizophrenia
Schizophrenia can be treated, if identified at an early stage. It is best advised to consult a psychiatrist the moment you spot the symptoms. Anti psychotic drugs, self help behaviour change, counselling and rehabilitation are few treatment modalities available for schizophrenia.