Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. GopalaswamyYour feedback matters!
I am 18 years old girl & I have a daily stomach problem particularly acidity. I have choosen many doctors but nothing new happened. Now I wana to get rid of this disease if you give some a good tip and advise or tablet/syrup. Will be a most kindness.
I am 21 years old male, I was suffering from stress for past 5 yrs, and have affected by psoriasis from past 8 years now it is cured somewhat .and I have indigestion problem due to psoriasis I was worrying daily when it will cure. It causes me more stress and memory loss. I can't able to concentrate on my studies. From morning to night I was in stress, I can't able to sleep properly. It takes more time to get sleep in night. I was in depression always. I was mumering while in sleep during night , if any one teased me or scold me I am getting very angry on them. I can't able to eat properly I am not getting hungry. I can't able to share any thing with others. And also I was addicted to masturbating past 2 yrs. I have aims and goal to achieve in my life but this stress is affecting me somemuch. I can not able to think and can not able to take decision. I was depending on others always. Whether this stress will affect my life in future sir. How can I come out from this stress. Pls help sir.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or spastic colon is a rather common intestinal tract disease which is characterized by sharp pain in the stomach, stomach gas, diarrhea or constipation. It is a chronic condition whose exact cause, although unknown, is sometimes attributed to the dysfunctional production of the neurotransmitter, dopamine.
There is no particular treatment for IBS. However, the symptoms can be brought under control through various methods. The symptoms of IBS can be controlled by making lifestyle changes such as incorporating certain modifications to your diet and reducing or managing stress levels. For severe symptoms, you may require medications.
Patients may also consider homeopathic treatment for a rather wholesome effect and lesser side effects. The purpose of homeopathic treatment is to stimulate the body’s inner self-balancing mechanisms. In order to achieve this, this person must be provided with the right solution at the right time. Since homeopathy aims at treating the root cause of the problem, the treatment is stretched over a longer period of time. Additionally, homeopathy functions by stimulating the natural healing capabilities of the body. Some of the common homeopathic medications that can be used to treat IBS are listed below:
- Pulsatilla: Prepared from a medicinal plant known as wind flower, Pulsatilla is effective in the cure of IBS with its remedying effect on the gastrointestinal tract.
- Nux Vomica: This too is derived from a plant and has a positive effect on the digestive and nervous system, thereby being effective in the treatment of IBS.
- Sulphur: It is one of the most common choices among homeopathic practitioners for IBS. Sulphur affects the digestive tract and is helpful in the treatment of intestinal gas and constipation. It is usually prescribed for individuals who are rather thin and physically weak.
- Lycopodium Clavatum: This is mainly prescribed for people with diarrhea and stomach gas. This drug acts specifically on the gastrointestinal tract
- Asafoetida: This drug is prescribed when there is a fairly common constriction in the bowel muscles.
Hello sir/mam, I have been suffering from bitter mouth taste from last few days. Due to which I repeatedly use mouthwash listerine and after some hour its effect fades. Plus I have also digestion problem but now there is downfall in digestion problem not much issue with stomach and for it I also take anzyme syrup. I do not why I always feel bitter bitter in my mouth. Please help me what is causing it and remedy.
Dear Sir, I have gastric problem and i am taking tablet RAZO-D. Sometimes i am getting pain in bones and muscles in back body if gastric became huge in body discomfort for breathing. I have done ECG test but report came normal. And also chest muscles are also getting like a jammed.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is a form of digestive disorder, which affects the lower oesophageal sphincters or the muscle ring present between the stomach and the food pipe. GERD incorporates the return of the contents of the stomach back to the oesophagus or food pipe. The functioning of the lower oesophageal sphincter is disrupted.
Causes: Hiatal hernia is a common cause of GERD. An unhealthy lifestyle and diet may also lead to GERD. Intake of an excess amount of chocolates, fried food, coffee or alcohol triggers the chance of a reflux. GERD also occurs in obese people and pregnant women.
Symptoms: Heartburn, also known as acid indigestion, is the primary symptom of GERD. The affected person may feel a burning chest pain which starts from behind the breastbone and reaches up to the throat. The feeling can be defined as food coming back to the throat with a bitter, acidic taste. The burning sensation may last as long as two hours.
Other symptoms include:
- Excess saliva secretion
- Chronic conditions of sore throat
- Gum inflammation
- Tooth cavities
- Unpleasant breath
In order to diagnose GERD, several tests may be conducted . They are:
- An X-Ray of the upper part of the digestive system.
- Endoscopy to examine the inner part of the oesophagus.
- Ambulatory acid test for monitoring the amount of acid within the oesophagus.
- An oesophageal impedance test to measure substance movement inside the oesophagus.
- A person must make several changes to his daily lifestyle and diet plan for treatment of GERD.
- Food and beverages like chocolates, fatty food, coffee, alcohol and peppermint should be avoided in order to reduce the weakening of the lower oesophageal sphincter. Several food items irritate the damaged oesophageal lining and should also be avoided. They include citrus fruits, tomato and pepper.
- Smoking cigarettes results in weakening of the lower oesophageal sphincter and should be stopped to reduce GERD.
- One should elevate the head of the bed on which he or she sleeps on blocks measuring 6 inches. This reduces the heartburn as gravity minimizes stomach reflux to return to the oesophagus.
- Over the counter medicines can be used to cure GERD. Antacids are a good example and neutralize the acid in the oesophagus and stomach, reducing heartburn. Combining antacids with foaming agents is also effective. A foam barrier is formed over the stomach, preventing the occurrence of acid reflux.
- Medicines for reducing acid in the stomach are prescribed in cases of chronic GERD, which include H2 blockers by the likes of cimetidine, famotidine or nizatidine.
GERD is a digestive disorder, which causes disruption in digestion, as reflux from the stomach is returned to the oesophagus. Proper treatment measures should be taken.