Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. DevakanthanYour feedback matters!
My mother age is 70 year, she is suffering with lot of body pain and also kidney creating problems please advice me.
Diabetes is often referred to as diabetes mellitus by physicians, which is used for describing a group of metabolic-related diseases. Diabetic patients have high blood sugar (blood glucose) in the blood, the cause of which might be either the inadequate production of insulin or because the body is unable to use the insulin properly. Diabetes might also be a result of the combination of both.
Types of Diabetes-
There are three types of diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes which was formerly known as insulin-dependent diabetes or juvenile onset diabetes due to the fact that the symptoms are typically diagnosed in young children and children in their teens. Approximately 10%diabetic patients are Type 1 diabetic where the body is unable to produce insulin.
- Type 2 diabetes was also known as non-insulin-dependent diabetes or adult onset diabetes, as it occurs mostly in adults. Approximately 90%diabetic patients worldwide are Type 2 diabetic which occurs because the body is unable to produce the required amount of insulin for proper functioning. Overweight and obese people suffering from central obesity or abdominal obesity are more at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes than people who have a healthy body weight, as obesity forces the release of chemicals which may destabilize the cardiovascular and metabolic systems of the body. The risks of developing Type 2 diabetes also increases as one grows older.
- Another type of diabetes is gestational diabetes which mainly affects pregnant women who have high glucose levels in their blood. The bodies of these women are unable to produce the required amount of insulin to transport all the glucose to their cells leading to the progressive increase of glucose. Studies have revealed that women who have animal fat and cholesterol-rich diet before pregnancy are at more risk of developing this type of diabetes.
Symptoms of diabetes include excessive thirst, dehydration, increased urination and hunger. Symptoms may also include fatigue, skin problems, slow healing wounds, blurred vision and tingling in the feet.
- Patients who are afflicted with Type 1 diabetes will have to take insulin injections for life. Proper blood glucose levels have to be maintained throughout by following a strict diet and regular blood tests need to be carried out.
- Patients with Type 2 diabetes need to keep their weight in check. They are generally treated with tablets but sometimes insulin injections are recommended. These diabetic patients need to follow a healthy diet strictly, exercise regularly and keep monitoring their blood glucose levels. Another option for obese people to reduce symptoms is Bariatric surgery.
- While gestational diabetes can be controlled with proper diet and regular exercise, there are 10 - 20%of diabetics who will need medications to control blood-glucose. Undiagnosed and untreated gestational diabetes raises the risks of complications during childbirth and may result in a baby who is bigger than he / she should be.
Acute complications of diabetes may include hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia while chronic complications may include diseases of the blood vessels which could damage the eyes, nerves, kidneys and the heart. If you think you have symptoms which suggest diabetes, consulting a doctor at the earliest would be your best option.
I have a back pain and nose blocking from last one year tried many medicine but nothing is change now my pain' s a lot then before please do give me some options or medicine something by the pain will stop
I am a 18year old Male. I am masturbating 3times a week. Is this harmful? How many times to masturbate to have a healthy life?
I am having cough from nearly 2 weeks it is not continuous but now and then it comes it is not dry and I am not getting(kapha kannada word) no fever not other problem why the cough is coming.
Doctor, What food is good when there is gastric problems. Please suggest few for morning breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I am 24 years old height 168 cm, weight 55 kgs recently started workouts in gym my trainer suggested supplements but I have doubt on that is there any side effects using of that? I heard that some one says it effects on testosterone production I don't know? Is there any good supplement body growth and gaining weight and it doesn't effect on my natural life like sex, skin, body effects like that.
I am 22 years old I am suffering from severe cold from my childhood. This happens in snowy day and even when I take cold water bath. How do I get relief through it?
I am a 40 yr old man with a bit of swelling in left bottom ankle and it pains a lot. I have tried voilini, mmov etc it of no use, some say its uric acid, other say that it is bone enlargement on my bottom of left ankle, plesae advice.
My mother is suffering from aplastic anemia and count of wbc hb and platelet are down so please help me to cure my mother.
Sir I am 56 year old man suffering from diabetes since last year and I am not feeling well and I have also used many plant leaves juice and kadha but there is no any control, as it always get increase or decrease. What should I do?
I am 20 years old why my face is sweating And in my face holes are happened. I didn't use any type of face creams also.
Science has now discovered that virtually everything to do with weight loss for both men and women is controlled by one master hormone. This hormone that controls 100% of your body’s ability to burn fat is Leptin. Researchers recently discovered that women naturally have twice as much of the fat burning hormone Leptin in their body compared to men, thus making it difficult for women to lose weight compared to men. You become leptin-resistant by the same general mechanism that you become insulin-resistant – by continuous overexposure to high levels of the hormone. If you eat a diet that is high in sugar (particularly fructose), grains, and processed foods – the same type of diet that will also increase inflammation in your body – as the sugar gets metabolized in your fat cells, the fat releases surges in leptin.
Newer methods of managing diabetes and obesity –Diabesity is centered around this hypothesis which many times termed as central obesity ( white fat cells and brown fat cells ) cancer-boosting "white" fat cells to less harmful "brown" fat (a heat-generating type of fat that burns energy instead of storing it. while researchers investigate the pharmaceutical avenues to convert white fat cells to brown in an effort to reduce the potential for cancer growth, other research has already shown that this can likely be achieved through exercise.
Thus normal blood sugar with diet and exercise-lifestyle modification can increase your brown fat cells which in turn helps in reducing fat storage, reducing insulin resistance and leptin resistance and obesity.