Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Amudha
Submit a review for Dr. AmudhaYour feedback matters!
I am 22 years old suffering from heaviness in stomach after having anything and uneasiness (ghabrahat). And problem related to burp and also feels that there is uneasiness for past 4 months.
I was H. Pylori infection 5 years back and was treated. Now I get stomach infection quite often. Gas, fullness in stomach etc.
I have pain in lower abdomen on both side, recently I went on travelling rishikesh, punjab and delhi. But the pain is very mild.
I am suffering from acidity along with sore throat and shortness of breath heartburn and tightness of head associated with headache. Feeling pressure on my left eye it's very Annoying please suggest my condition and relevant treatment.
My digestive system is very weak and huge problem of gas and acidity. Suggest me a balanced diet or diet chart.
I'm 19 years old and I have a very bad burping problem. Once when a visited a gastroenteritis doctor he gave me some medication which later got me in bed vomiting for a few days. What can I do to end it?
My name is kumar. My age is 53. I am not able to digest food very often. I have tried many medicines but I can't able to digest. Please help.
Heartburn can be a very discomforting condition and affects almost everyone at some point in his or her life. This is a condition wherein the stomach acids back up through the esophagus resulting in a burning sensation, especially near the chest area. Quick-relief medications can help you deal with them for a particular episode. However, recurring deposits might warrant changes in diet and lifestyle. Some of the long and short term remedies are mentioned below:
Short term remedies to deal with heartburn
- Eat a banana or an apple: A few slices of banana and apples can introduce acids into your stomach which will counteract the stomach acids and thus help reduce heart burn.
- Use baking soda and water as a home remedy: This is another quick fix if you don’t have anything at home when suffering from heartburn. If you mix half to a full spoon of baking soda with water and then drink slowly, it will immediately help relieve symptoms. However, don’t make this a regular remedy as it may cause side effects such as nausea and swelling.
- Ginger root tea: Making tea with ginger is another great home remedy which can easily relieve heart burn.
- Chew gum when you have heartburn: This is helpful as the constant stimulation within the mouth due to chewing gum helps with saliva production. The excess production of saliva helps wash away the acids that have built up in the stomach. Once the acid recedes, it helps in relieving or eliminating heartburn.
- Aloe Vera Juice: Drinking aloe vera juice helps in relieving heart burn very easily. It helps control inflammation in both the esophagus and the stomach and relieves pain from heartburn. However, regular use isn’t recommended as it can act like a laxative.
Long term lifestyle changes
- Change your Sleeping habits: Try to sleep on the left side of your body and ensure that your upper body is in a slightly raised position as this will stop the stomach acids form coming up into the esophagus.
- Watch what you eat, when you eat and how quickly you eat: It is advisable to not only maintain a fixed time of eating but also try to eat slowly as it give the stomach more time to adjust in digesting the food, thereby ensuring controlled secretion of the acids.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol: These are common triggers for heartburn and avoiding them will show results in a relatively short period of time. It is advisable to stop smoking and reduce alcohol consumption to once a week or even lesser.
- Wear loose fitting clothes: Wear clothes which are loose as this would free up your stomach. Tight clothing can push stomach acids up the esophagus and it is advisable to loosen up clothing to relieve symptoms.