Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. A. Sukumar
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. A. SukumarYour feedback matters!
There are some marks like things below my shoulder portion. May be some type of allergy? anyway to remove it?
Skin aging is a gradual process, but multiple factors, including stress and less sleep, expedite the aging process. Skin aging manifests itself in the form of wrinkles, sagging, discoloration and other visible effects. Such changes become more apparent as soon as one reaches late thirties or early forties, but early onsets are now very common too, which can be caused by a number of factors.
There are many ways by which skin aging can be prevented. Let us have a look at the following:
- Eat healthy: Having a nutritious balanced diet can make a tremendous positive impact on your skin. Consumption of food items that are rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients is essential. It is also important to drink lots of water and fluids to stay hydrated. Junk food and sugary drinks should be avoided as it negatively affects skin health.
- Avoid sun exposure: This is the most basic way of reducing the rate of skin aging and slowing down the process. While going out in the day cannot always be avoided, it is important to keep the skin covered with clothing, hats and sunglasses.
- Always wear sunscreen: This provides protection from the harmful rays of the sun (known as UVA and UVB). Making a habit of constantly applying sunscreen on all exposed parts of skin plays an important role in preventing skin aging. It is also necessary to use the right products, which should have an SPF rating or 30 or more.
- Exercise regularly: Keeping fit through regular workouts and exercise improves the circulation of blood in the body and consequently, the supply of blood and oxygen to the skin. This keeps the skin healthy and young and prevents early onset of wrinkling and aging.
There are several other ways of preventing skin aging such as avoid smoking, avoid the use of too many products and cosmetics, getting enough sleep, and always keeping skin cleansed and moisturized. Following these simple ways can effectively make your skin look younger and slow down the aging process. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
Hi I am 23 year old, recently married woman. Yesterday I accidentally got struck to the corner of dressing table door. It hit right in the center just above the butt on lower back. And I had blood in my stool a few minutes back. I also haven't got my periods since 2 months. Please help m bit scared.
Hyperpigmentation is a relatively harmless condition, but can affect a person’s self-image and psyche. This skin condition is characterized by dark patches on the skin due to exposure to UV radiation or as a sign of aging. It is caused by an excessive production of melanin in the body. Hyperpigmentation affects people of all ages and with all skin types. However, fair-skinned people are at a higher risk of suffering from this condition than dark skinned people.
This condition can be treated in a number of ways including:
- Laser: Laser treatment for hyperpigmentation improves skin tone and boosts collagen production. With advancement in laser technology, scarring is no longer a very big risk with this form of treatment. Depending on the degree of hyperpigmentation argon or carbon dioxide lasers may be used in with short pulses or long pulses. Treatment can take anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes and is relatively pain free.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels rid the skin of its top most layer and bring new cells to the surface. This gives the skin an even tone and eliminates dark spots and patchiness. A light salicylic acid or glycolic acid peel is ideal for hyperpigmentation treatment. This is often used in cases where the patient’s skin is resistant to over the counter topical treatment. The concentration of active ingredients in the peel depends on the skin tone. Mild skin discolouration and blotchiness can be treated with a superficial peel while age spots and freckles require a medium peel.
- Topical ointments: Topical ointments are usually the first form of treatment for hyperpigmentation. Hydroquinone or retinol are the most commonly prescribed ointments. Broad spectrum sunscreen that offers protection against UVA and UVB rays can also help prevent further sun damage and dark spots. Skin lightening creams with soy or niacinamide as active ingredients also help brighten skin tones.
Apart from these forms of treatment, there are also a number of home remedies for this condition. Some of these home remedies are:
- Rubbing a freshly sliced or the juice of a grated potato on the skin
- Applying a combination of cucumber and lemon juice on the skin
- A grated papaya face mask
- Soak almonds in milk overnight and then skin them and puree with the milk. Apply this mixture on the affected areas.
- A mask of guava and banana pulp
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!