The pyramid diet was conceptualised in 1992 and it emphasises the best amount of servings to be consumed daily from the basic food groups (dairy, fruits and vegetables, grains, beans and legumes, meat, oils and fats).
The pyramid is divided into four levels. The very first level is comprised of grains, beans and legumes; the level above it is made up of fruits and vegetable; the third level from the top is composed of meat and dairy products and the very last one on top contains fats, sugars and oils.
The diet aims to divide the food groups in the above mentioned fashion to make you understand just how much to consume from each food group. Here is a breakdown of servings from each food group:
- Grains- 5 to 7 servings
- Fruits and vegetables- 2 servings of each
- Milk and dairy- 3 servings of which 1/2 serving should be dairy products
- Oils, sugar and fats- 6 teaspoons for oils and minimal servings for fats and sugars
This seems relatively easy to follow, but most people do not understand portion control. The amount or serving of food is called portion control and it is important if you want your diet to work. Here is a guideline that you can follow:
- When you are consuming one serving of grains in one sitting, you can choose to eat one cup of cereals or one slice of whole-wheat bread.
- When you are eating vegetable or fruits with your breakfast or lunch, choose one and a half cup of chopped vegetables, or one piece of orange, banana or apple.
- If you are drinking milk, then one cup of milk in one serving. And, if you are eating meat, choose one ounce of cooked fish or chicken.
- Lastly, do not go beyond one teaspoon of vegetable oil and try to keep your sugar intake to the minimum throughout the day.
The pyramid is an excellent guide to lose some weight. You just need some concentration and a ton of commitment to stick to the guide. Along with the diet, don't forget to get some exercise.
I am doing exercise in the gym for the past 1 year. And I have the doubt can I take the HGH injections. And I want to know what is its advantages and disadvantages and can I go for it? What it will do for my body any changes in face hair or other parts of the body. Thanks in advance.
When I walk upstairs or kneel down, I used to hear small cracking sound on my left knees. Is that due to loss of synovial fluid? I once had an accident and my knee had hit hardly.
My daughter has a strong urge to eat chalk, what medicine in homeopathy/allopathy/naturopathy can she be given?
If you are suffering from arthritis, it is important for you to know about how it affects your knee and other joints. Arthritis is a chronic, systematic inflammatory disease which damages your joints and connective tissues. Your knee is commonly affected by arthritis and there are three primary types of arthritis that occur in the knees. They include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and post-traumatic arthritis.
Types of arthritis
The different types of arthritis affecting the knees occur due to different reasons. Osteoarthritis is a progressive condition, which wears away the joint cartilage over time. Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory condition, which may occur at any age. Post-traumatic arthritis occurs after an injury is inflicted to the knee and may occur several years after a ligament injury or knee fracture.
- Arthritis pain may occur all of a sudden, but commonly develops slowly. In the early stages, the pain is observed in the morning after you have been inactive over the night. Pain is likely when you want to move around. Pain may be experienced even when immobile.
- Periodic inflammation is a common symptom of arthritis of the knee. This happens because of the formation of bone spurs or excess fluids in your knee. The swelling gets pronounced after being inactive for a long period. The skin on your knee may look red and feel warm while you touch it. This may lead to chronic inflammation, which is very difficult to manage.
There are several ways of treating knee arthritis. The mode of treatment depends on the severity and cause of knee arthritis. NSAIDS or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are commonly prescribed for dealing with arthritis pain temporarily. Other medicines used for knee arthritis treatment are as follows:
- Analgesics, which help in pain reduction act as good alternatives to NSAIDS.
- Corticosteroids are used for reducing inflammation.
- Certain DMARDs or disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs are used.
Certain injections that are used for helping with knee arthritis. They include:
- Hyaluronic acid supplements, which ease the pain and inflammation by lubricating your knee joints.
- Corticosteroid injections also soothe inflammation and pain.
You may also require a surgery for dealing with knee arthritis when other modes of treatment fail. The most common surgeries are as follows:
- Total joint replacement, where your knee is replaced with a prosthetic made of metal, plastic or ceramic.
- Osteotomy, where the knee bones are modified for controlling pressure and damage in the knees.
- Arthroscopy, where an incision is made in the knee for removing damaged parts.
It is recommended for you to consult a doctor, if you experience any symptom of knee arthritis. Early treatment will prevent the condition from worsening.
At a point when downpour comes, individuals can be seen moving and celebrating from various perspectives. In any case, this is additionally a season for some diseases and health issues. Because of the sudden change in temperature, the safety of our body turns out to be low and makes us powerless to numerous diseases. Taking after proper monsoon Ayurvedic care tips can turn out to be advantageous to stay healthy.
The digestive framework gets debilitated because of dehydration in summer. This prompts low digestive force. This is further debilitated by vitiation of doshas and dhatus because of storm. Consequently taking after an eating routine that expansion force of assimilation and fortifies the digestive framework would be useful in the blustery season.
- Drink bubbled and cooled water blended with minimal nectar. Drink a lot of water and keep your body all around hydrated.
- Avoid overwhelming, hot, acidic, harsh (chutneys, pickles, yogurt, chilies, curry, and so forth) and salty sustenance as it advances water maintenance, heartburn, bloating and hyperacidity. Evade broiled nourishments, garbage sustenance and meat. Stay away from servings of mixed greens and verdant vegetables.
- Consume light and effortlessly edible sustenances, vegetable soups, steamed or boiled pumpkin, vegetables, squash, zucchini, steamed serving of mixed greens, natural products, khichree, corn, chickpea flour, moong dal and oats as well as more. Stick to nourishments arranged out of old grain, rice and wheat.
- Do not enjoy overwhelming activities like running, cycling and so on which expand Pitta (heat). Yoga, strolling, swimming, and extending are great.
- Be watchful while eating out and ensure you go to a spot which is perfect and hygienic. Totally abstain from eating nourishment which is presented to climate, similar to the ones sold by roadside merchants.
This is very hard problrm I am feeling very sad and very lazyproblem I am feeling very sad and very leazy doctor sir any solution this problems.
I have gained weight after my marriage from 80 to 130. After many tries also not able to reduce. Neither I have any thyroid, diabetes, bp or any problem. What can be done?
I am 19 years old. But I look so aged due to malnutrition. Please answer me. Can I get back to normal looks or like others of my age if I maintain proper diet. Can I be normal again?
Hello doctor! My issue is that I have a proper diet but I'm failing to gain some fat! I just skip my breakfast due to job, but my lunch are dinner are done on time! What could possibly make me gain some fat?
Hello doctor, I want to know that may do exercise and yoga combine or if I do exercise in morning and yoga in evening so is it good for health. I tell you that I am doing flat tummy exercise daily 1 hours so may do yoga in evening. Please reply me soon.
How can I gain some weight? I want to gain some weight as I am so thin. Suggest me any protein powder or supplementary. I am 23 now.
I am having chicken and fish for protein intake. Is it safe to have it on daily basis. I am 38 years old and go to gym for workout daily.
Genetic factors play an important role in determining the traits of obesity and also rate of weight loss. Some genes play the role to telling the body how to metabolize food and to use extra calories or stored fat. Obesity runs in families as generally families eat similar foods, have similar lifestyle habits and thinking patterns, such as that children should eat more to become big and healthy. Certain illnesses like thyroid gland problems or genetic diseases run in families.
Some eating disorders like binge eating disorder affect a person's diet as he eats more and repeatedly often in binges. These people generally lack the developed eating patterns learned in childhood.
It is also to be remembered that obesity is not the result of momentary overeating. It is a long term phenomenon because people tend to overeat over long periods of time.
Emotions can fuel obesity, as people tend to eat more when they are upset, anxious, sad, stressed or even bored. Afterwards they feel bad about eating more, and later to relieve this stress, they may eat even more.