Find numerous Radiologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Radiologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Radiologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sampath Kumar. N
Diagnostic X- Ray
Bone Densitometry Procedure
Uterine Artery Embolization
Interventional Diagnostic Procedures
Angiography Radial Approach
Submit a review for Dr. Sampath Kumar. NYour feedback matters!
I have slip disc problem in l4 n l5. Is it possible to get relief with problem by exercise only. I have this problem from last 5 years. My age is 30 years.
Hello doctor plzz say me is surgery essential for Diffuse annular disc bulge seen at l4 and l5 level causing indentation over thecal sac with bilateral recess narrowing and significant nerve decompression.
Did you know barley water is good for kidney stones?
Barley (jau), a member of grass family, is a cereal that has been cultivated for over 13, 000 years. Packed with carbohydrates (78%), fat (1%), protein (10%) and water (10%), barley is a rich source of essential nutrients, dietary fiber, vitamins such as niacin, manganese, phosphorus and vitamin B6.
With several health benefits to its name, barley water is termed as the elixir to good health. It has been found to be beneficial in reducing chances of heart disease, soothing bowels, reducing blood cholesterol levels, improving blood sugar regulation in the body and acts as nutritive broth for fever, cold and cough. Additionally, studies support that barley water has also been found to play an integral role in maintaining renal health.
What is a renal stone?
A renal stone is a solid stony piece consisting of crystal forming substances in the urinary tract. They are usually formed when the urine is abundant in substances such as calcium, oxalate and uric acid and lack substances that inhibit their accumulation. While small kidney stones can pass through the urinary system without any symptoms, a stone larger than 5 mm can result in blockages in the urinary tract causing severe pain in the back and lower abdomen.
What causes renal stones?
- A family history for stones, lack of adequate water in the body, high BMI, excessive intake of diets rich in protein, sodium and sugar have been found to be some of the common causes for stone formation.
How does barley water aid the dissolution of renal stones?
Studies show that regular use of barley water can dissolve and eliminate existing kidney stones and prevent the occurrence of stones and other kidney problems. Use of diuretics either natural or synthetic can help speed up the expulsion of the stone.
Diuretic in nature, barley water helps to flush toxins from the kidneys by creating bladder pressure and increasing the frequency of urination.
- It helps maintain the PH levels in the body, making it alkaline, preventing various urinary tract issues, including kidney stones.
- The vitamin B6 and magnesium in barley helps break down the masses of toxic calcium oxalate (primary cause for stones) in the kidney.
Dietary fiber in barley reduces the amount of calcium that is excreted by the body through urine, restoring renal health and cleansing the kidneys.
Ways to prepare barley water:
- Boil 1 litre of water with a tablespoon of barley pearls and boil on a low flame for about 30 minutes or until the water has reduced to half.
- Strain and cool this mix and drink it through the day.
- Add lemon juice or honey to make the mix tasty
Regular use of barley water ensures that the renal system is hydrated, healthy and free of depositions such as renal stones. So, go ahead and add this elixir to your diet to ensure a healthy renal system and a healthier you. Eat healthy, stay healthy!
The spinal cord is like a cable consisting of millions of nerves that transmit messages in the form of electrochemical signals from the brain to the rest of the body, and also sensations from the body back to the brain. We are able to perceive pain and move our limbs because of messages sent through the spinal cord.
The spinal cord is soft and vulnerable to injury. It is protected by the bony structure of the vertebral column. A spinal cord injury can happen if there is a fracture of the spine. Sometimes, even if the vertebral column is intact, violent shaking can cause cord contusions. It’s an extremely serious type of injury that is likely to have a lasting and significant impact on most aspects of daily life.
If the spinal cord sustains an injury, some or all of these impulses may get blocked. The result is a loss of sensation and mobility below the level of injury. A spinal cord injury closer to the neck will typically cause paralysis throughout the body, while one in the lower back may affect the legs but spare the hands.
A spinal cord injury is often the result of violent trauma. Events like spontaneous hemorrhage, infection, tumors or autoimmune diseases can also cause spinal cord damage. Some causes of traumatic injury to the spinal cord are :
- trauma during a car accident (specifically, trauma to the face, head and neck region, back, or chest area)
- falling from a significant height
- head or spinal injuries during sporting events
- electrical accidents
- a violent attack such as a stabbing or a gunshot
- Diving head first into water that’s too shallow and hitting the bottom
Some symptoms of a spinal cord injury include:
- Neck or back pain
- Pain radiating along limbs, or numbness/ pins and needles sensation along the arms or legs.
- Weakness of particular muscle groups in focal injury, to complete paralysis in severe injury.
- Clumsiness during finer actions using the hands.
- Unsteadiness or loss of balance while walking.
- Loss of control of the bladder or bowels You must take immediate precautions
If there is the slightest suspicion that someone has a back or neck injury:
- Call 911 or your local emergency medical assistance number
- Do not move the injured person – permanent paralysis and other serious complications may result.
- Place heavy towels on both sides of the neck or hold the head and neck to prevent them from moving until emergency care arrives • Provide basic first aid, such as stopping any bleeding and making the person comfortable, without moving the head or neck
- If movement is absolutely necessary, arrange a cervical collar, then log-roll onto a stiff spine board or flat surface, taking care that all parts of the body move together and that any relative movement between one part of the spine to the next is avoided.
Because spinal cord injuries are often due to unpredictable events, the best you can do is reduce your risk. Some risk-reducing measures include:
- always wearing a seatbelt while in a car
- wearing proper protective gear while playing sports
- never diving into water unless you’ve examined it first to make sure it’s deep enough and free of rocks
- increase protective measures to avoid falls from height
Seek the opinion of a Neurosurgeon or an Orthopedic spine surgeon as soon as possible. X-rays, CT scan or MRI scans may be advised for assessing bony or soft tissue injuries of spine. Minor injuries require only immobilization and rest. Severe injuries, however, may require steroid injections and surgical intervention. Time is of essence, and an early surgery in certain situations may save a limb that would otherwise be paralyzed for life.
My mother is suffering from disc extrusion in L5, is surgery necessary? Or something other will be helpful.
My age is 22 I have slip disk my disk dislocated into 6 mm back so I have heavy pain when I bend or doing any work and long time sitting any home remedies to cure fast.
My age is 28 and I am suffering from back pain due to L3, L4, L5 Disc bulging. Kindly suggest me a solution to over come from back pain without surgery.
A uterine cyst, also called as ovarian cyst, is the formation of a fluid-filled sac within the ovary of a woman. Uterine cysts may sometimes cause several physical symptoms. They can cause great pain and unpleasant sensations. Most cysts go away by themselves, but still sufficient measures should be taken to deal with the inconvenience caused by a uterine cyst. In severe cases, the cyst can damage the ovaries. Scar tissue is also likely to build up in such cysts to form an adhesion, which causes discomfort.
Uterine cysts can cause great damage to the sexual organs of a woman, and hence, it should never be ignored. Here are 5 ways to deal with uterine cysts:
Using Birth Control Pills: In case of recurrent uterine cysts, you can take oral contraceptives with the prescription of a doctor. This will prohibit ovulation, and the development of new cysts will be prevented. The risk of ovarian cancer is also reduced.
Laparoscopy: In case the cyst is small, a laparoscopy surgery can be conducted by a doctor. This will enable the surgical removal of the cyst. The process of laparoscopy involves making of a small incision around the navel region. A small instrument or device is inserted into the abdomen, which removes the cyst.
Laparotomy: Laparotomy is a surgical procedure of removing a large uterine cyst. This procedure is applied when a cyst becomes too large to be removed using laparoscopy. The procedure involves the removal of the cyst via an incision made in the abdomen. An immediate biopsy is conducted and in case the cyst is found out to be cancerous, a hysterectomy surgery is conducted, which removes the ovaries and uterus completely.
Herbal Tea: Moving from medical procedures to natural ways for dealing with uterine cysts, herbal tea is believed to be one of the best natural treatments for uterine cysts. Herbal tea helps in the breakdown of large cysts and the side effects of the cysts such as discomfort or pain are eased. Have a cup of herbal tea every day to get rid of uterine cysts.
Diet: Uterine cysts may develop due to an unhealthy diet. Modern food items contain synthetic and natural estrogens, which cause disruption in ovarian health. Consuming adulterated meat, where the animals are given hormones, and antibiotics may result in uterine cysts. Soy contains a great amount of estrogen, which leads to uterine cysts. All the food items which may lead to ovarian cysts should be avoided.
Uterine cysts are common in women and are caused due to several complications. You should not let uterine cysts develop as development increases severity.
Breast cancer is the form of cancer that occurs from breast tissues in women. Signs of breast cancer may include a lump in the breast, changes in the shape of the breast, dimpling of the breast skin, a fluid coming out of the nipples or development of red scaly patches on the skin. There might be pain in the bones, swollen lymph nodes, shortness of breath, or the skin turning yellow and pale.
Breast cancer is a fatal mode of cancer in women, and one must try to abstain from this cancer in all possible ways. Here are 5 ways you can decrease the risk of breast cancer.
- Keeping a check on your weight: Although the process is tough to maintain, keeping up a sound and healthy weight is a critical objective for everybody. Being overweight can expand the danger of a wide range of cancers, including breast cancer, particularly after menopause in women. Exercise is very important for maintaining a healthy body and lifestyle. Women who exert physically regularly are fitter than others and are at a much lower risk of acquiring diseases of any kind. Regular exercise decreases the chance of getting breast cancer and also keeps the body weight in check.
- Maintaining a healthy diet: Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet is a key for keeping away from any kind of cancer or major health problem. Include a sufficient amount of fresh fruits and green vegetables in your daily diet to ensure the supply of all vital nutrients to your body. This would increase your immunity.
- Avoid smoking and consume less alcohol: Smoking is a very unhealthy and harmful habit. Smoking lowers the quality of your life, and causes numerous diseases. Heart diseases, stroke and many kinds of cancer, including breast cancer can be caused from smoking. If you drink alcohol, you should moderate your drinking habits and drink less, as drinking in excess may lead to breast cancer.
- Practice breast feeding: Breast feeding your children for a span of one year or more is likely to reduce the risk of breast cancer.
- Avoid taking birth control pills: Birth control pills, in spite of having several benefits are associated with risk factors as well. Birth control pills have got worse effects in younger women than older aged women. Using birth control pills may cause breast cancer and these pills should be avoided.
There are many ways, adapting which you can lower the chances of getting breast cancer. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.