Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Samanvitha Shetty
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Teeth Cleaning (Scaling) Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Samanvitha ShettyYour feedback matters!
Today smile has become one of the most important of one's personality. Be it personal, or professional. There are so many people who come down to the dentist to get their teeth corrected either cosmetic which includes crowns (porcelain fused metal, metal free) or laminates, or veneers. Or orthodontic tooth movement which is done to move teeth naturally. These are of various types (metal, ceramic, lingual, or invagilin or clear braces. Which usually as per case takes one yr to 1.5 years to get into perfect alignment. For this one must visit the dentist to look for all the clinical details, which as a dentist would decide the time duration and type of braces one would want to go for. At times, there are difficult cases in which extraction may or may not be required, a monthly visit to the dentist. Mild pain during tooth movement. Before we start any treatment we take records in the form of model X-rays. (full mouth, lateral ceph, photographs as per case. All the above details are used to develop a customized treatment plan. This is commonly done by fixing braces to your teeth and using a thin guiding wire to straighten the irregular teeth. Various steps include
Leveling and aligning
Detailing and finishing
Dental braces care
Brush teeth regularly with paste you have to pay special attention to the brackets placed. Use an orthodontic brush, an interdental brush to remove all debris stuck between brackets.
Foods to avoid while wearing brackets
Chewing gum, sticky chewy food.
Hard foods like carrots, apple, nuts which might break brackets.
Lastly, dental retainers which need to be placed for 24 hours initially for a period of 3 months and after that only at night during sleep. Retailers have to be worn for a period of 6 months to one yr. If retainers not worn teeth might start moving back to original position (relapse) so please do as per dentist's recommendations.
The tooth is made of 3 layers, each with unique characteristics and specific function, the enamel, dentin, and pulp. The enamel is the outermost layer of the tooth and gives the tooth it's hard and lustrous appearance. The enamel is thicker on the crown than the root and is the first one to be affected by tooth decay. The only symptom when the enamel is decayed is food lodgment and discoloration.
The dentin is the next layer, which is composed of minute fine tubules leading from the enamel to the living portion of the tooth, which is the pulp. Once decay progresses from the enamel, the dentin is affected, and this leads to sensitivity in the teeth. When the root portion is exposed to the oral environment, because the root is covered by a more delicate substance called cementum, more severe dental sensitivity ensues.
There is a sharp, shooting discomfort through the tooth to specific foods, such as sweet, acidic, or hot or cold foods. The main reasons for tooth sensitivity include:
- Tooth decay, both crown and root caries
- Periodontal disease and gum recession
- Tooth erosion
- Aggressive tooth brushing
- Mouth breathing
- Bruxism or night grinding
However, there are some simple ways to manage sensitivity, which can be done regularly at home.
- Toothpaste made for sensitive teeth: Potassium nitrate has been shown to block the tubules and has been included as an active ingredient in toothpastes. These are very effective, and if you are brushing twice, this can be used instead of the regular paste once.
- Brushing: Both the type of toothbrush and the brushing technique can have an impact on sensitivity. Change to softer brushes and learn the ideal way to brush your teeth. A lot of times, rough brushing can lead to erosion and subsequent sensitivity
- Rinsing: Fluoride containing rinses have been proven to reduce sensitivity
- Food habits: Even before sensitivity sets in, being cautious to avoid acidic fruits and juices can help prolong the onset of sensitivity. If possible, consuming these food stuffs should be followed by brushing or at the least a thorough rinsing
- Sealants: If a person is prone to caries (deep pits and fissures, for instance), then it is advisable to get sealants applied on the teeth. This can reduce the instance of wearing of the enamel which then leads to sensitivity
- Mouth guard: If you are a night grinder, then a mouth guard can help curtail this habit and thereby reduce sensitivity.
There you go with how to reduce sensitivity. Try these simple, easy measures and go on to enjoy the sweets or hot or cold foods that you have always craved for.