Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Nivedita ChandrasekharYour feedback matters!
There has been a long buildup of myths about connections between masturbation and the menstrual cycle. All through the ages, cultures have often frowned over masturbation and have discouraged it; as it happens, female masturbation has been discouraged by citing the idea that masturbation and menstruation are somehow connected and that the former has a harmful influence over the latter.
Does Masturbation really affect the Menstrual Cycle?
The clear answer to this is NO. Menstruation is definitely not affected in any way by masturbation let alone resulting in any health issues.
Is it safe to masturbate during periods?
It is perfectly safe and might even be beneficial for you. In fact, masturbation helps in relieving painful cramps during periods. Moreover, there is no proof associated with the concept that masturbating during periods is unsafe.
Bleeding after Masturbating
It does not happen commonly, but even if you see yourself bleeding after masturbating, there is no need for panicking thinking that masturbation has led to the bleeding. During masturbation, the cervix, vagina and the uterus experience an increase in blood flow. So, if you're using a sex toy probably too hard or if you go for deeper penetration with sharp or jagged fingernails, then that can in some cases lead to a small amount of bleeding. In all cases, a gentler touch might go a long way in avoiding bleeding.
Does Masturbation Delay your periods?
No, it doesn't. Masturbation has no influence on the timing of periods. If there is any irregularity, then it is possibly due to hormonal imbalance.
We had unprotected sex on 27 December evening. But got periods on 28 December noon. Is there any chance of getting pregnant? Should I need to take any contraceptive pill to avoid pregnancy?
I'm having periods since Jan24. I'm suffering from pcod and thyroid. I was taking treatment in acupuncture and was not satisfied by those results. I consulted gyn tdy and started Femilon tonight. She told me to intake femilon 3times/day till my periods stops and then 2times/day for 2 days and then complete the pack by taking 1pill/day. Will femilon help me in controlling pcod?
I am suffering from subchroinic bleeding and is suggested bed rest is it safe to eat lemon.Please tell.
dear dr. have a problem of disturb menstruation cycle. from last 3 i think because of this gaining weight and unable to reduce weight by doing proper exercise please tell me proper solution for this illness.
Hii I m on iui treatment and so on they given 3 injections of ovtriop 5, 7, 9 day of periods and called me on day 11 so my follicle size is 14mm both ovaries with 7.1 mm et given Gmh 75 injection and on day 13 size are Right ovary is 15 14mm and left every 17mm with et 12.3 again given Gmh injection and called me again on 14 day. So my question is why they giving Gmh 75 injections how they r helpful for conceiving and please let me know the chances of pregnancy in cycle according to this reports. Can I ovulate before. Without any trigger shot if yes than how they can do iui.
She has usual cycle with early periods of 2 to 3 days. Her last period date was on 26th of june. She has not got this time. She said she was on nightout with her bf but they didnt go for intercourse on 3rd of july. What to do? consult doctor immediately or wait? any probable reasons?
Hi, My periods delayed by 10 days. I will travel next week and I have to get my periods soon. What should I do.
A fibroid tumour is made up of muscle cells that have escaped and come together to create a knot or a mass in the uterus. These tumours can occur due to a family history and are usually known to occur for women patients nearing menopause. One of the most common symptoms is unusually heavy menstrual cycles. Let us walk you through the rest of the details.
- Types: Fibroid tumours can be of three types, mainly depending on the location. While submucosal fibroids can be found just under the lining of the uterus, intramural fibroids can be found between the muscles that lie on the walls of the uterus. Finally, the third type - subserol fibroids - go beyond the uterine wall to enter the pelvic cavity.
- Symptoms: Usually, there are no symptoms of these kinds of fibroids. There may be heavy bleeding during the monthly menstrual cycle, as well as swelling and pain in the abdomen. Also, prolonged bleeding is common when these kinds of tumours are present in the body.
- Cause: Fibroid tumours are mostly caused due to an overgrowth of the cells beyond the muscular walls that line the uterus. In such cases, the growth is further fuelled by hormones like estrogen and progesterone. These hormones are usually at their highest level in the body, during the childbearing years of a woman. During menopause, these tumours are known to shrink before they eventually vanish. It is very rare to find malignancy in such tumours.
- Risk: Are you at risk? Well, that depends on your age, family medical history, weight and in some cases, even the ethnicity. These tumours are mostly found in women who are between the age of 30 to 40 years and continues through menopause. Obesity is also a major reason that gives rise to this condition. Further, women of colour are known to develop this more easily while a family history can also increase your chances of the same.
- Tests and Diagnosis: A pelvic exam and an ultrasound as well as a history of your menstrual cycle will help the doctor in determining whether or not you are suffering from this condition.
- Treatment: Non steroid, anti-inflammatory drugs can help in bringing down the swelling and pain, especially in cases where there is heavy menstrual bleeding. Birth control pills and patches with hormones can also help in such cases. Further, progesterone shots and iron supplements may be prescribed. Very severe cases may require surgery for removal with a myomectomy.
Remember to visit your doctor in case you see any nagging symptoms of fibroid tumours.
Factors that determine the success of your IVF procedure
IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is a process wherein an egg is fertilized by a sperm in a laboratory dish to form the embryo (baby's first cell) which after growth in artificial medium in the lab is transferred into the uterus of women, In general, a blood sample is collected to determine whether you're pregnant or not about 10-14 days after the eggs are retrieved.
Coming to the success of the procedure, a number of factors are at play and these are:
- The age at which you get pregnant - A factor that plays a role in influencing your chances of experiencing success in your IVF procedure is the age at which you opt for this procedure. The lower your age, the chances that you may get pregnant and deliver a healthy child using your own eggs witness an increase. On the other hand, if you're aged 41 and above, or your egg reserve is very low donor eggs are the most preferred option as they help to increase your prospects of meeting a success.
- Lifestyle habits - Certain lifestyle factors can significantly affect your prospects of getting pregnant through this route. Smoking can reduce your prospect of success using this procedure by about 50%. It can cause you to have lesser number of eggs retrieved during the procedure while increasing instances of miscarriages. Likewise, obesity, alcohol use, consumption of excessive caffeine and drugs can adversely affect your chances of getting pregnant using IVF.
- Cause of Infertility - If your supply of eggs is normal, success rate using IVF is high. Women who suffer from the problem of endometriosis experience lesser chances of getting pregnant than women who have unexplained fertility.
- Reproductive history - IVF success rate chances are higher if you've delivered a baby previously using IVF.
- Embryo status - Embryos that are better developed with good grade stand a higher chance of experiencing success than less developed embryos. More importantly, not every embryo is able to survive the development process.
Related Tip: 4 Worst Foods Ever To Feed Your Baby!