Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Mary Sheela Stephen
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Mary Sheela StephenYour feedback matters!
Mujhe 3ed month pregnancy chalri hai. But mujhe bleeding bhi hori hai. 3 ko meri priead time tha. Ky bleeding hona koi dikkat wali baat hai. please ans me. Kyunki mere pet ke niche hisse me bhit drd hai.
It can also be triggered or made worse due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (gerd), irritable bowel syndrome, stress or anxiety, obesity, ulcers, stomach infection, thyroid disease, smoking and certain medications.
Some symptoms of indigestion are bloating, gas, growling stomach, abdominal pain, burning sensation in the upper abdomen, acidic taste and vomiting.
You can easily get relief from indigestion symptoms using ingredients from your pantry. For instance, sipping a little water at the first sign of indigestion can give you some relief as it helps increase the gastric ph.
I read about yeast infection and I wanted to know if I was acquiring the same? According to the symptoms I don't feel pain but there is white watery discharge during my ovulation period and inflammation is normally negligible but sometimes it is because of low water consumption and there is no itching in my vagina. Can I be acquiring yeast infection?
TVS report RIGHT OVARIAN CYST LIKELY TO BE BENIGN. Size is 3.96, 3.23 cm. Thin separation are seen within it. Right Ovary measures 5.50, 4.07 cm. Please suggest me what to do?
There are women who feel their looks are spoilt because of the presence of excessive body hair. While hair on women's body is common, excessive body hair isn't a normal condition and must be taken seriously. Women are generally unaware that the condition is known as Hirsutism.
What is Hirsutism?
Hirsutism can be defined as growth of excessive facial and body hair in women. With the world obsessed with flawless skin, such changes from feminine hair pattern (soft, fine, vellus hair) to masculine hair pattern (hard, dark, terminal hair) in a woman is generally unwelcoming and, hence, very distressing for the woman.
Why do some women develop Hirsutism?
In order to understand the reasons for such excessive growth in some women, it is important to understand the differences in the physiology of men and women. The male or female appearance of one's body is dependent on a delicate balance between male and female sex hormones. There is a predominance of the hormone estrogen in a woman's body, whereas androgens (testosterone) are the predominant sex hormones among men. However, some amount of androgens is secreted by the ovaries and adrenal glands (located next to kidneys) in women also. But, an excessive production of these hormones results in Hirsutism. Hormonal imbalance is by far the most common cause of Hirsutism.
Causes of Hirsutism
The common causes of hirsutism include:
1. Endocrine causes
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - PCOS is a condition of hormonal imbalance in the body, which can result in an irregular menstrual cycle, enlarged ovaries with a cystic appearance on USG, infertility, obesity and hirsutism. For more information on the causes and management of PCOS.
- Cushing's syndrome - Excessive production of hormone Cortisol by the adrenal glands can lead to symptoms such as high blood pressure, abdominal obesity, skin discoloration, muscle weakness, irregular menstruation, and hirsutism etc. This syndrome is known as Cushing's syndrome.
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) - CAH is a condition of excessive production of hormones Androgens and Cortisol by the adrenal glands and generally manifests in childhood in the form of virilization. In such cases, CAH can present with symptoms such as ambiguous genitals, obesity, hypertension etc. However, sometimes the manifestation of CAH is deferred to early adulthood and results in milder symptoms, hirsutism being one of them.
2. Tumors - Tumors in ovary or adrenal glands can again cause hirsutism due to excessive production of androgens
- Long term steroid consumption (commonly used for immunosuppression, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis)
- Performance enhancing drugs (often used by athletes)
4. Idiopathic - the woman may be having hirsutism despite normal hormone levels
There are essentially two lines of treatment for hirsutism - one is medical management and the other is a cosmetic treatment.
Medical treatments for hirsutism -
A. Birth control pills - It's possible to reduce the severity and intensity of hair growth using birth control pills- the most commonly prescribed medical intervention! The birth control pills help by decreasing the production of androgens by ovaries. Besides this, estrogen present in the pills also helps the liver to produce more of sex hormone binding protein- these proteins bind to circulating androgens, thereby reducing their action on the body. Both these actions help in reducing the growth of hair on the body.
B. Anti-androgen medications - There are three categories of anti-androgen medications, which are commonly used for the treatment of hirsutism.
- I. Spironolactone - Spironolactone is a diuretic medicine, which blocks the effects of androgens on the hair follicles, thus controlling hair growth.
- II. Finasteride - Finasteride works by blocking the conversion of body testosterone into its more potent chemical entity, thereby limiting the effect of testosterone on hair growth.
- III. Flutamide - Flutamide is a potent anti-androgen, which blocks the actions of androgens and helps in controlling the hair growth.
However, we have to ensure that the woman is not pregnant when taking any of these three medications. These medicines are often combined with oral contraceptives, which also have a synergistic effect in reducing the severity of hirsutism. One should also seek an expert opinion before starting these medications as there can be serious side effects, especially on liver.
C. Steroids - Low dose dexamethasone can be used to control the overactive adrenal glands when used carefully. However, long-term steroid therapy has got its own side effects and this therapy should only be considered under expert care and guidance.
D. Insulin sensitizing medicines - Medicines such as Metformin and Pioglitazone (Basically these are anti-diabetic medications) help in reducing insulin resistance in the body, which, in turn, helps in controlling the effects of excessive circulating androgens.
Cosmetic treatment for hirsutism -
One very important aspect of cosmetic management of hirsutism is self-care. This can include shaving, waxing, use of depilators and bleaching creams. All these measures help to reduce the amount of visible hair in undesired parts of the body. But, this needs to be done very frequently for a sustained visible effect.
Permanent hair removal is also possible using electrolysis or LASER treatment. In electrolysis treatment, electric current is passed into the hair follicle using a needle, which damages the root of the hair permanently. Similarly, LASER treatment uses LASER to destroy the hair follicle. Both these are effective methods to get rid of the undesired hair. However, we do not yet know if there are any long-term complications or side effects of these methods and these methods are not yet approved by the US FDA.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Related Tip: How Safe is Laser Surgery for Facial Hair Removal??
2. Sandalwood or chandan powder can also be used with lemon juice and curds as a tan remover.
3. Malai mixed with besan and lemon juice can also be used for removal of tanning especially on face and neck. Apply it as a mask for 20-30 mins and wash with luke warm water. Will help in tan removal.
I took I pill after 5 hours of having sex. After 2 hours I excreted faeces so shall I take another I pill or the first one is enough to stop pregnancy?
Preserving Penis Sensitivity After Adult Circumcision
For most men, the decision to become circumcised is made for them, well before they are old enough to have any idea of what the procedure means. But for some men, adult circumcision might become necessary or preferable. Sometimes a man will practice the best penis care only to discover that something is wrong that needs to be corrected, such as a too-tight foreskin or other medical condition. And still others might choose that they want to undergo adult circumcision for aesthetic reasons. Whatever the reason, men should carefully weigh what adult circumcision means when it comes to penis sensitivity and health.
The circumcision debate
In any discussion of male circumcision, there is bound to be a lot of disagreement. Yes, there are advantages to circumcision, including a lower risk of penis cancer or urinary tract infections, less risk of transmission of certain sexual diseases, and a lower incidence of redness or inflammation of the skin, particularly the glans.
However, some will debate that any man can face these problems, and that circumcision isn't nearly as impressive as it might seem when it comes to the medical literature. There is even some question about penis sensitivity, and whether an intact penis is really more sensitive than a circumcised one. Some studies suggest that the idea of a more sensitive penis comes from cultural ideals and anecdotal evidence, but not from any verifiable difference in one penis over another.
Adult circumcision procedures
Whatever side of the debate a man falls on, sometimes adult circumcision becomes inevitable. For those who have certain medical conditions, circumcision might be a necessity. For those who are converting to a religion that requires circumcision, it might be seen as a necessity as well. And of course, there are men who simply want their penis to look a certain way, and circumcision might be a quick way to make that happen.
Regardless of the reason, there are several ways a man can go about adult circumcision:
1. In some cases, the foreskin can be removed by separating it gently from the penis head, cutting a small slit in the foreskin, and applying a clamp for a few minutes. When the bleeding has stopped, the doctor can then proceed to remove the foreskin completely.
2. In other cases, a doctor might use a 'bell method.' This includes using the clamp, but instead of then cutting through the skin, the doctor applies a small plastic bell that will stay on the foreskin for a certain length of time. This helps the foreskin fall off naturally.
3. Other types of foreskin removal might include various surgical procedures; this depends on what kind of medical condition might have sent the man to the doctor for the adult circumcision in the first place.
Preserving penis sensitivity
After the circumcision is performed, a man should follow his doctor's instructions exactly. This usually includes keeping the area very clean, keeping it covered with an appropriate gauze dressing, and understanding what the drainage from the healing wound should look like. A guy who has any signs of infection, excessive bleeding or serious pain should go back to the doctor to get checked out.
After the penis has healed, a man can take control of improving penis sensitivity with the use of a specially formulated penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin). Look for a crème that includes vitamin B5 for maintenance of healthy tissue, L-arginine for increased blood flow (and thus better healing) and vitamin D for healthy cell function. But the most important ingredient is L-carnitine, an amino acid known for fighting peripheral nerve damage and keeping the penis sensitivity in tip-top shape.