Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Deepti MahajanYour feedback matters!
Most children stop sucking on thumbs, pacifiers or other objects on their own between 2 and 4 years of age. No harm is done to their teeth or jaws until permanent teeth start to erupt. The only time it might cause concern is if it goes on beyond 6 to 8 years of age. At this time, it may affect the shape of the oral cavity or dentition.
Thumbsucking leads to Open bite, a high arched palate because of the pressure created in the mouth . This habit can also cause the maxillary central incisors to tip labially and the mandibilar incisors to tip lingually as the thumb rests on them during the course of sucking. Aside from the damaging physical aspects of thumb sucking, there are also additional risks, which unfortunately, are present at all ages. These include increased risk of infection from communicable diseases, due to the simple fact that non-sterile thumbs are covered with infectious agents, as well as many social implications. Some children experience social difficulties, as often children are taunted by their peers for engaging in what they can consider to be an “immature” habit. This taunting often results the child being rejected by the group or being subjected to ridicule by their peers, which can cause understandable psychological stress.
To prevent their children from sucking their thumbs some parents use bitterants or piquant substances on their child's hands.Parents could get a series of sharp prongs known as "hay-rakes" cemented to a child's teeth to discourage sucking
Praise children for not sucking, instead of scolding them when they do.
If a child is sucking its thumb when feeling insecure or needing comfort, focus instead on correcting the cause of the anxiety and provide comfort to your child.
If a child is sucking on its thumb because of boredom, try getting the child's attention with a fun activity.
Involve older children in the selection of a means to cease thumb sucking.
The pediatric dentist can offer encouragement to a child and explain what could happen to its teeth if it does not stop sucking.
Only if these tips are ineffective, remind the child of its habit by bandaging the thumb or putting a sock/glove on the hand at night.
Is the biscuits of Marie gold or crack jack salt biscuit. Which biscuit is better for baby to give first.
My son of 50 days old is not getting sufficient Breast milk from his mother. Is there any medicine to increase Breast milk for my child or any other powder food can take. Mother is 26 year old.
Hello doctor, meri baby 15 months ki ho gai h and uske abhi tak teeth nahi aaye use vit. D3 ke shacets bhi diye bt unse bhi koi effect nahi aaya. So please suggest something.
Hello, my aunt had a delivery last month. She didn't have enough milk to feed her baby. What should be given to a one month baby if mother's milk is not enough?
What is suvarnaprashana?
The process in which swarna bhasma (ash of gold) with other herbal extracts taken in the form of semi liquid and given to the children through their mouth is called asswarnaprashana, suvarnaprashana, swarnamritha prashana or swarna bindu prashana.
It’s a unique method of immunization which helps the children to boost up the intellectual power and produces non specific immunity in body to fight against general disorders.
It is also helpful even to the special children with autism, learning difficulties, attention deficit, hyper activity, delayed milestone etc.
For what period it should be done:
Daily dose of swarna bindu prashana should be given for minimum of 1 month to maximum of 3-6 months.
Monthly once for minimum of 30 months to maximum of 90 months on the day of pushya nakshatra (pushya nakshatra day comes once in 27 days)
Time and duration to give suvarna prashan:
Every day morning in the empty stomach or on the day of pushya nakshatra. The drops should be given by the parents to the baby in empty stomach.
Dosage of suvarna prashan drops:
Birth to 2 year – 2 drops
2 to 16 years – 4 drops
Age of children who can take suvarna prashan:
From birth up to the age of 16 years.
Benefits of suvarna prashan:-
1. Immune system towards diseases becomes stronger.
2. Increases physical strength. And growth of the baby.
3. Grasping power, analysis power and recall memory becomes sharper.
4. Improves digestive power.
5. Tones up skin colour and texture.
6. Protects the baby from different kinds of allergies.
Importance of suvarna prashan:-
Maharshi kashyapa says suvarna prashana improves intelligence, digestive fire and physical power. It gives long, spiritual, holy and saintly life. It gives rejuvenative effects and tone ups the skin. It improves immunity in a way so that the child is prevented from bacterial and viral infections. Regular use of suvarnaprashana helps in such a way that, the child gets best immunity to defeat diseases. Regular use of suvarnaprashana make child very intelligent and he can remember all heard by him.
Mode of action of suvarna prashan
Gold is considered as very precious in ayurveda. When swarna is converted into swarna bhasma as explained in ayurveda, it would possesses following properties:-
- Swarna bhasma has moisturizing & unctuous effect on body.
- It is madhura, rejuvinative and immunity booster.
- Improves complexion and growth of the body.
- Does detoxification of the body.
- Has ability to treat different fevers like vishajwara, aantra jwara and general weakness.
- It has been proved that swarna bhasma possesses anti oxidants, anti depressants, anti cancerous, antibacterial anti rheumatoid property.
- It also acts as nervine stimulant.
As we know a human brain grows rapidly in 1 to 16 years of life. Swarna bhasma accelerate the growth of brain and boost up its utilization capacity if swarna prashana is done during this phase.
Other drugs in it help to build immunity of the baby.
Also it has many benefits like improvement in concentration, grasping capacity, digestion and complexion.
Swarna bindu prashana underwent series of clinical analysis by many ayurvedic doctors and other associated hospitals. And we have found excellent results in increasing immunity and general health in a normal healthy baby.
Presentation of suvarna prashana drops:
Swarnaprashana drops are available in 5ml, 10ml presentation.
How to store the drops:
Drops should be kept in room temperature and should not be exposed to direct sunlight. Note that it should not be stored in refrigerator. Swarna prashana drops can be used for 5 years when stored in shade and in room temperature.
Hello doctor. My daughter is one year old, when she born her weight is 3.2kg. Nw her weight is 8kg. Is it a normal weight? She do all activities bt looking like little thin. Can you tell me her weight is ok with her age now?
Hello Dr. my baby is preterm n has low birth weight 2 kg, also he is not feeding timely (2 hrs duration) he sleeps a lot n wake sometimes 3-4 hrs later I'm so worried coz he is not gaining weight now he is 3 weeks old still he has gain 2.18 kg only. Also I had lost 8 kg I want to know should I strt giving him formula milk? N if he is breast feeding how mny times I should feed if m giving formula milk please tell.
Today my wife born a baby girl by a major operation in chana Devi hospital this time my baby on ventilator what's happen.
With the word accident, the first thing that comes to our mind is a traffic accident or an outdoor accident. We all may usually relate accidents with outdoor hazards, but little do we realize that the place that we consider to be the safest, that is, our homes, has a number of hazards itself. Accidents at home are usually caused due to negligence. Children are especially prone to be hurt by such accidents. Just like we stay careful outside our home, it is also important to maintain safety indoors to prevent accidents.
Here are some of the common accidents that occur mostly to children along with the preventive steps that can help you to avoid them:
1. Fall: Falling is one of the most common accidents that children experience. There may be a number of factors such as objects scattered on the floor, the floor being slippery, unstable walking of the child, lack of supervision, etc.
- Keep floors clean, dry and free from unnecessary obstructions.
- Always keep a check on your toddler as he learns to walk
- Do not keep babies unattended when they are sitting on a high surface
- Keep the bed rail of the baby cot raised whenever the child is in it
2. Choking: Choking is a serious condition that leads to breathlessness due to accidental swallowing of foods or objects, covering head by blankets, strangulation, etc.
- Avoid toys that have small detachable parts
- Keep a watch on your child when he/she plays with small objects
- Keep children away from buckets or tubs filled with water
- Never allow your children to play while eating
3. Burns: Burns may occur from contact with hot objects, hot water or fire.
- Make sure that you don't hold a child and a hot object or beverage at the same time
- Make sure that your child doesn't enter the kitchen without supervision
- While preparing warm water for bathing your child in, always check the water temperature beforehand
4. Poisoning: Poisoning takes place under conditions of food poisoning or accidental swallowing of harmful substances like detergents, insecticides or drugs.
- Keep all medicines, detergents, soaps and chemicals out of the child's reach
- Store all chemicals and toxic substances in their respective containers or make sure the containers are labelled properly
- Always keep a first-aid box ready at hand if you have a child at home. For severe conditions talk to a doctor or visit a hospital immediately.