Nosebleed (Epistaxis) Treatment
Rotator Cuff Injury Treatment
Corn Removal Procedure
Treatment for Constipation Treatment
Scar Revision Surgery
Scar Revision Surgery
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Deep Pigmentation Treatment
Treatment of Rheumatic Complaints
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment Of Learning Disorders
Treatment Of Childhood Diabetes
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Submit a review for Keshava Homoeo ClinicYour feedback matters!
Diagnosis of tuberculosis is based on a combination of clinical features, smear examination of sputum where available, tuberculin skin testing or Mantoux test, chest X-ray and Histopathologic / cytologic examination as appropriate. Common clinical features are weight loss, persistent fever and /or cough of more than 2 weeks duration and history of close contact with another Tuberculosis patient.
Mantoux test also known as Tuberculin skin test is used for the detection of infection by Mycobacterium Tuberculosis bacteria. The test consists of slowly injecting a liquid intradermally (superficially within the layers of the skin) on the forearm, leading to formation of a raised vesicle which should be easily visible to the naked eye. This liquid, used in India, is Tuberculin PPD RT 23 strain. Tuberculin is a glycerol extract of the Tuberculosis bacteria. This is one of the two WHO accepted standard tuberculins, apart from PPD-S. In India, where the prevalence of tuberculosis is high, the recommended dose of this liquid is 0.1 ml of 1 TU (TU stands for tuberculin units) .1 TU is the strength of the liquid mentioned on the vial. This liquid is usually administered by a very tiny syringe, usually of 26 gauge. (Needle diameter).
Please click on the link to watch a video demonstrating how this procedure is performed.
Test principle : The individual who has been infected with Tubercle bacilli responds with a hypersensitivity reaction at the test site in the form of induration. Induration is the palpable raised hardening of the skin, while erythema refers to redness of skin. Only induration is clinically significant and measured after 48 to 72hours following injection. Diameter of the Induration is measured by a scale in millimetres perpendicular to the long axis of the forearm.
Interpretation of the tuberculin test
- Size of induration 15 mm and above : - signifies infection with tubercle bacilli
- Size of induration 10-14 mm : - could be due to infection with tubercle bacilli, BCG induced sensitivity, or due to cross reaction with other environmental mycobacteria.
It is more likely to be attributable to infection with tubercle bacilli in case of history of contact with smear positive case of pulmonary TB, clinically confirmed TB OR X-ray consistent with active TB.
- Size of induration 5 -9 mm: usually non tuberculous in nature generally
- Size of induration <5 mm : indicates absence of any type of mycobacterial infection.
Precautions during this procedure :
- If a raised vesicle does not appear it means that the liquid has been injected too deeply, and the test should be repeated on the other arm. If the same arm is used the injection site should be should be separated at least 5 cm from the first injection site.
- Occasional patients may experience severe allergic reaction to the tuberculin PPD
- Larger the size of the induration, higher the probability of presence of infection with tubercle bacilli.
- Almost all reactions with induration more than 15 mm maybe considered attributable to infection with tubercle bacilli.
- Formation of necrosis (ulcer) at the test site, indicates high degree of tuberculin sensitivity and suggests presence of infection with tubercle bacteria.
- Tuberculin reaction may be suppressed (falsely low) in presence of immunosuppressive states. Like HIV, malnutrition, patient on steroid therapy etc.
- Mantoux test is generally not recommended for infants less than 12 weeks old. If the test turns out to be positive, then it is significant, but if the test is negative, then the test needs to be repeated again.
- The tuberculin test detects only the presence or absence of tuberculosis infection. The presence of infection is not synonymous with disease. It simply means, that even if you have tuberculosis infection in your body, as detected by positive Mantoux test, it does not mean you have active Tuberculosis in your body and require anti tuberculosis drugs in all cases. The clinician will correlate your mantoux test result with other tests ( as mentioned at the top of the blog) to give you a final picture.
- For more such interesting articles please visit my blogsite www.doctors4patients.com
Basic conditions to be healthy are found to be three components they are:
1. Normal weight,
2. Exercise daily,
3. Proper nutrition.
Supposing you were told that you need to keep lugging a really awkward cargo weight from 8 kg to 20 kg, regardless of whether you walk, sit, eat or sleep. You're probably terribly would surely, isn't it? but that's exactly what you're doing in the excessive weight! you wear the unhealthy flab. You're overloading all organs, especially the heart and blood system.
Overweight is dangerous! he depletes the heart. Insurance statistics show that the last thing live fat people. Every pounds overweight shortens your life. That's why condition no. 1 for healthy hearts are normal weight!
It is possible to achieve optimum weight naturally and in continuing to support him all the time. The use of drugs from obesity even more dangerous than the mere obesity!
Condition no. 2 for a healthy heart is a rigorous exercise routine. The exercise will not only help to maintain normal weight, but will also stimulate healthy blood flow, improve muscle tone and bodies would enhance the functioning of all organs of the body.
What is most important is the condition no. 3-proper nutrition! a healthy heart and healthy body are created a clean and healthy blood, and clean, healthy blood is the food that you eat. Food is the most important factor in the regulation of weights, nutrition blood and through it the whole body nutritional, protects the heart from a deadly cholesterol and strengthens it, turning into a powerful source-life eternal youth.
एक समय था जब झुर्रियों को बुढ़ापे की निशानी माना जाता था। लेकिन, आजकल, यह आश्चर्यजनक नहीं होगा कि आप केवल 25 वर्ष के हों, तो भी यह दिखना शुरू कर दें। व्यस्त जीवनशैली, तनाव, नींद की कमी और अनुचित आहार अक्सर त्वचा का नुकसान होने के कारण होता है।
झुर्रियां पतली, सगनी त्वचा के कारण होती हैं। वे विशेष रूप से चेहरे, गर्दन, हाथों की पीछे, और अग्र-भुजाओं के शीर्ष पर दिखाई देते हैं। झुर्रियां तब होती हैं जब त्वचा के संयोजी ऊतक में कोलेजन और इलास्टिन कमजोर हो जाते हैं और टूट जाते हैं। समय से पहले या अधिक झुर्रियां अन्य कारकों जैसे सूरज की रोशनी या कठोर वातावरण, धूम्रपान, कुछ दवाओं के उपयोग, अत्यधिक तनाव, अचानक वजन घटाने, विटामिन ई की हानि, गतिहीन जीवन शैली और आनुवंशिक पूर्ववृत्ति के कारण भी हो सकती हैं।
झुर्रियों से बचाव के घरेलू उपाय
यदि आपने हाल ही में अपने चेहरे पर महीन रेखाओं पर गौर किया है या लंबे समय से उन्हें छुटकारा पाने के लिए संघर्ष कर रहे हैं, तो यहां कुछ अद्भुत घरेलू उपाय हैं जो झुर्रियों को बहुत प्रभावी ढंग से हटा सकते हैं।
1. जैतून का तेल:
जैतून का तेल आपकी त्वचा के लिए एक अद्भुत मालिश तेल है। यह एंटीऑक्सिडेंट जैसे विटामिन ए और ई, का एक अच्छा स्रोत है, जो त्वचा के लिए हानिकारक मुक्त कणों से लड़ते हैं। नियमित रूप से प्रभावित त्वचा क्षेत्र पर जैतून का तेल मालिश करना त्वचा की कोशिकाओं को मॉइस्चराइज, मरम्मत और पुनर्जीवित करेगा।
आप 1 बड़े चमच जैतून के तेल में 1/2 चम्मच कालनजी तेल को भी जोड़ सकते हैं, इसे अधिक शक्तिशाली बनाने के लिए।
मेथी के पत्ते विटामिन और खनिजों में बहुत समृद्ध हैं जो आसानी से शरीर द्वारा अवशोषित होते हैं और झुर्रियाँ और अन्य त्वचा की समस्याओं का इलाज करते हैं। ताजी मेथी के पत्तों को पीस लें, एक पेस्ट बनाने के लिए। अपने चेहरे पर पेस्ट को लागू करें और इसे रात भर छोड़ दें। सुबह इसे गुनगुने पानी से धो लें।
आप मेथी के बीज के साथ उबला हुए पानी से भी अपना चेहरा धो सकते हैं या अपनी झुर्रियों और महीन रेखाओं पर मेथी तेल लगा सकते हैं।
यह इलास्टिन के टूटने को रोकने में मदद करता है, झुर्रियां और महीन रेखाओं के मुख्य कारणों में से एक है। अदरक एंटीऑक्सिडेंट्स में समृद्ध है, इस प्रकार भी झुर्रियों को रोकने में मदद करता है। शहद की एक चम्मच के साथ कसा हुआ अदरक मिलाएं और हर सुबह इस मिश्रण को खाएं। आप अदरक और शहद वाली चाय भी पी सकते हैं।
एलोवेरा विटामिन ई का एक समृद्ध स्रोत है, जो त्वचा के लिए एक बूस्टर है। एलोवेरा एंटीऑक्सिडेंट और शोथ रोधक यौगिकों के साथ सुस्त त्वचा को भी स्वस्थ कर देता है। 1 बड़ा चमचा एलोवेरा जेल और 1 अंडे के सफेद हिस्से का उपयोग करके पेस्ट बनाएँ और इससे अपने चेहरे पर मालिश करें। इसे आधे घंटे के लिए छोड़ दें और फिर धो लें।
केले विटामिन, खनिज और एंटीऑक्सिडेंट्स में समृद्ध हैं जो झुर्रियों और महीन रेखाओं के कारणों से मुकाबला करते हैं। एक गाढ़ा पेस्ट बनाने के लिए दो केलों को कुचल दें। झुर्रीदार क्षेत्रों पर पेस्ट को लागू करें। इसे कम से कम आधे घंटे के लिए छोड़ दें और फिर इसे गुनगुने पानी से धो लें।
बादाम में विटामिन ई होता है जो त्वचा की प्राकृतिक लोच को लौटाता है। बादाम फाइबर, लोहा, जस्ता, कैल्शियम, फोलिक एसिड, और ओलिक एसिड का भी एक उत्कृष्ट स्रोत है, जो संयुक्त रूप से बुढ़ापे की प्रक्रिया में देरी कर सकते हैं और झुर्रियों का इलाज कर सकते हैं।
रात भर के लिये कच्चे दूध में कुछ बादाम सोखें। सुबह, उन्हें छील लें और पीसकर गाढ़ा पेस्ट बनायें। इसे चेहरे पर लागू करें, 15 मिनट तक सूखा दें और फिर पानी से धो लें।
अनानास में एंजाइम होते हैं जो त्वचा लोच को बढ़ावा देते हैं, त्वचा को मॉइस्चराइज करते हैं और साथ ही मृत त्वचा कोशिकाओं को खत्म करने में मदद करते हैं। यह एंटीऑक्सिडेंट, फाइबर और विटामिन में भी समृद्ध है जो त्वचा के स्वास्थ्य को बढ़ावा देते हैं।
प्रभावित त्वचा क्षेत्र पर अनानस मांस रगड़ें। आपकी त्वचा पर अनानस का पल्प लागू करें। इसे लगभग 20 मिनट तक सूखने के लिए छोड़ दें और फिर इसे धो लें।
मधुमेह के प्रारंभिक लक्षण, विशेष रूप से टाइप 2 मधुमेह, सूक्ष्म या हानिरहित हो सकते हैं। वास्तव में, कुछ लोगों को पता नहीं चलता कि उन्हे मधुमेह है, जब तक उन्हें रोग की वजह से दीर्घकालिक क्षति से समस्याएं न हों। टाइप 1 मधुमेह के लक्षण आमतौर पर दिनों या कुछ हफ्तों के मामले में जल्दी से देखा जाता है। वे बहुत अधिक गंभीर भी हैं।
डायबिटीज़ के लक्षण
आप कैसे बता सकते हैं कि आपको मधुमेह है? पता करने का सबसे अच्छा तरीका रक्त परीक्षण है। लेकिन यदि आप निम्न मधुमेह के लक्षणों में से किसी का सामना कर रहे हैं, तो अपने डॉक्टर से मिलें:
1. लगातार पेशाब आना:
जब आपको मधुमेह होता है, तो आपका शरीर चीनी में भोजन को तोड़ने में कम कुशल होता है। आम तौर पर आपका शरीर ग्लूकोज को पुनः अवशोषित करता है जब यह आपके गुर्दे से गुजरता है। किन जब आपको मधुमेह होता है, तो अतिरिक्त शुगर (ग्लूकोज) आपके खून में बढ़ जाता है। आपके गुर्दे को अतिरिक्त चीनी को फिल्टर और अवशोषित करने के लिए अतिरिक्त काम करने के लिए मजबूर किया जाता है। अतिरिक्त चीनी जो कि आपके गुर्दे अवशोषित नहीं कर सकते, आपके मूत्र में उत्सर्जित होते हैं। यह आपको अधिक पेशाब करने का कारण बनता है, खासकर रात में।
2. अधिक प्यास:
जैसा कि ऊपर बताया गया है, जब आपको मधुमेह होता है, तो आपकी गुर्दे को अतिरिक्त चीनी अवशोषित करना पड़ता है। जिसके लिए बहुत सारे तरल पदार्थ की आवश्यकता होती है, इसलिए आपको अधिक प्यास लगती है।
3. वजन घटना:
जब आप अक्सर मूत्र के माध्यम से चीनी खो देते हैं, तो आप कैलोरी भी खो देते हैं। इसके अलावा, मधुमेह आपके भोजन से चीनी को आपके कोशिकाओं तक पहुंचने से रोक सकता है।
4. अतिरिक्त भूख लगना:
भूख की अत्यधिक पीड़ा, मधुमेह का एक और लक्षण, रक्त शर्करा के स्तर में तेज उतार-चढ़ाव से आ सकता है। जब रक्त में शर्करा का स्तर घटता है, तो शरीर यह सोचता है कि इसे खिलाया नहीं गया है और अधिक ग्लूकोज की आवश्यकता होती है, जो कोशिकाओं को कार्य करने के लिये आवश्यकता होती है।
बेशक आप ज्यादातर समय थका हुआ महसूस करते हैं, क्योंकि जो भोजन आप ऊर्जा के लिए खा रहे हैं वह कोशिकाओं द्वारा प्रयोग नहीं किया जा रहा है। इसके अलावा, निर्जलीकरण भी आपके थकान को बढ़ाता है।
6. धुंधली दृष्टि:
विकृत दृष्टि और रोशनी की कभी-कभी चमक देखना, उच्च रक्त शर्करा के स्तर का प्रत्यक्ष परिणाम होता है। आपके शरीर में द्रव का स्तर बदलना आपकी आंखों में लेंस को सूजा सकता है। इसके अलावा, जब रक्त में ग्लूकोज उच्च होता है, यह लेंस और आंख के आकार में परिवर्तन करता है। यह सब, लेंस की अपनी क्षमता खोने का और ठीक से काम न करने का कारण बनता है।
7. कटौती और घावों का धीमी गति से उपचार:
कटौती, और घाव का जल्दी से ठीक न होना, मधुमेह का एक और उत्कृष्ट संकेत हैं। प्रतिरक्षा प्रणाली और प्रक्रियाएं जो शरीर को चंगा करने में मदद करती हैं, बहुत अच्छी तरह से काम नहीं करती हैं, जब आपके शर्करा का स्तर उच्च होता है।
8. खमीर संक्रमण:
चूंकि मधुमेह आपके शरीर की प्रतिरक्षा को नीचे लाती है; संक्रमण और रोग अधिक होने की संभावना है। खमीर का आहार ग्लूकोज है और शरीर में बहुत अधिक होने से यह कामयाब होने लगता है। संक्रमण किसी भी गर्म, त्वचा के नम गुच्छे में बढ़ सकता है, जिसमें शामिल हैं:
- उंगलियों और पैर की उंगलियों के बीच
- स्तनों के तहत
- सेक्स अंगों के आसपास
महिलाओं को, विशेष रूप से, योनि कैंडिडा संक्रमण से सावधान रहना चाहिए।
9. झुनझुनी की अनुभूति:
आपके रक्त में अतिरिक्त चीनी से तंत्रिका क्षति हो सकती है। आप अपने हाथों और पैरों में झुनझुनी और सनसनी की कमी महसूस कर सकते हैं, साथ ही साथ अपनी बाहों, हाथों, पैरों और पैरों में दर्द का दर्द देख सकते हैं। आप अपनी बाहों, हाथों और पैरों में जलता दर्द भी महसूस कर सकते हैं।
10. शुष्क मुँह और खुजली वाली त्वचा:
मधुमेह रोगाणुओं से लड़ने की आपकी क्षमता को कमजोर कर सकता है, जिससे आपके मसूड़ों में संक्रमण का खतरा बढ़ जाता है। आपके मसूड़ों को अपने दांतों से दूर खींच सकते हैं, आपके दाँत ढीले हो सकते हैं, या आपके मसूड़ों में घाव या मवाद विकसित कर सकते हैं। इसके अलावा, निर्जलीकरण के कारण शुष्क मुंह और खुजली वाली त्वचा सकती है।
Breakfast: The most important meal of the day; never skip your breakfast
Since childhood train your child to eat a balanced and nutritious breakfast.
Do not let your kid go to school with just milk.
Every individual irrespective of age and gender must be calculative of a complete n balanced meals throughout the day.
Dental caries (tooth decay) is caused by acid-producing bacteria that collect around the teeth and gingivae (gums) in a sticky, clear film called “plaque.” Without good daily oral hygiene and regular dental visits, teeth become more vulnerable to caries. Brushing twice a day and cleaning between teeth with floss or another type of interdental cleaner help remove plaque. Regular dental examinations and cleanings also are important for keeping teeth healthy.
Another key to good oral health is fluoride, a mineral that helps prevent caries and can repair teeth in the very early, microscopic stages of the disease.
Fluoride can be obtained in two forms: topical and systemic.
TOPICAL AND SYSTEMIC FLUORIDES
Topical fluorides are applied directly to the tooth enamel. Some examples include fluoride toothpastes and mouthrinses, as well as fluoride treatments in the dental clinic.
Systemic fluorides are those that are swallowed. Examples include fluoridated water and dietary fluoride supplements. The maximum reduction in dental caries is achieved when fluoride is available both topically and systemically.
Dentists have used in-office fluoride treatments for decades to help protect the oral health of children and adults, especially patients who may be at a higher risk of developing caries. Some factors that may increase a person’s risk of developing caries include the following:
- poor oral hygiene;
- active caries;
- eating disorders;
- drug or alcohol abuse;
- lack of regular professional dental care;
- active orthodontic treatment combined with poor oral hygiene;
- high levels of caries-causing bacteria in the mouth;
- exposed root surfaces of teeth;
- decreased salivary flow, resulting in dry mouth;
- poor diet; dexisting restorations (fillings); tooth enamel defects;
undergoing head and neck radiation therapy.
PROFESSIONAL FLUORIDE TREATMENT
If you, or a family member, are at a moderate-to high risk of developing caries, a professional fluoride treatment can help. The fluoride preparation used in the "Smile Up Dental Care & Implant Center " dental clinic is a much stronger concentration than that in toothpastes or fluoride mouthrinses that may be available in a store or at a pharmacy.
Professional fluoride treatments generally take just a few minutes. The fluoride may be in the form of a solution, gel, foam or varnish. Typically, it is applied with a cotton swab or brush, or it is used as a rinse or placed in a tray that is held in the mouth for several minutes.
After the treatment, you may be asked not to rinse, eat or drink for at least 30 minutes to allow the teeth to absorb the fluoride and help repair microscopic carious areas.
Depending on your oral health status, fluoride treatments may be recommended every three, six or 12 months. Your dentist also may recommend additional preventive measures if you are at a moderate or high risk of developing caries. These measures may include over-the-counter or prescription therapeutic products such as fluoride mouthrinses, gels or antibacterial mouthrinses.
There are neurological causes also, which are mentioned below
• Spinal cord injuries
• Chronic back pain
• Other neurological conditions.
Low testosterone is linked to erectile dysfunction and hampers the sexual life of people suffering from it. Treatments are available to offer therapy to men suffering from this problem.
There are neurological causes also, which are mentioned below
• Spinal cord injuries
• Chronic back pain
• Other neurological conditions.
Low testosterone is linked to erectile dysfunction and hampers the sexual life of people suffering from it. Treatments are available to offer therapy to men suffering from this problem.
In India, especially the urban centers, obesity or even being overweight is becoming a new epidemic. The increases in consumption of fast foods, sedentary lifestyles and stress have increased the incidence of this problem. This has in turn, led to an exponential increase in the cases of diabetes, heart diseases and blood pressure among a host of other problems.
The Ayurvedic approach
Ayurveda is a discipline, which has been practiced over many millennia and contains the collective wisdom to effectively treat problems of obesity or being overweight without side effects. According to Ayurveda, the body is made up of 7 elements or Dhatus:
- Rasa (Lymph)
- Rakta (Blood)
- Maans (Muscle)
- Meda (Fat)
- Asthi (Bones)
- Majja (Nervous system)
- Shukra (Reproductive System)
However, if you are overweight then it means that due to an imbalance of the ‘Kapha’ dosha, you are accumulating more ‘meda’ or fat. Ayurveda has some very effective actions to prescribe through which you can lose weight very effectively. Some of these tips are mentioned below.
- Drink a mixture of lemon, honey and water first thing in the morning: Drinking a mix of lemon, honey and water helps to jump start your metabolism and boost your digestive system. Drinking this regularly over a period of a few months and would help reduce your weight very quickly.
- Meditate for at least 10 minutes a day: This is a very important step as meditation helps relax your mind, muscles and nerves and reduces stress. This enables you to take better decisions throughout the day. It also controls your appetite thus stopping you form binge eating. Meditation and relaxation have also been shown to contribute to weight loss by keeping the metabolism regulated.
- Do at least 30 minutes of exercise: It is important that you do at least 30 minutes of exercise daily as it would regulate your metabolism and help you to keep burning fat throughout the day. Incorporating light yoga along with a brisk walk is possibly the best way to safely and easily lose weight. Some of the easiest poses to lose weight would be
- Dhanurasana or Bow pose
- Setubandhasana or Bridge pose
- Bhujangasana or Cobra pose
- Vakrasana or Half spinal Twist pose among many others
- Consider your diet according to season: According to Ayurveda, you should be careful about what you eat during the various seasons as this will ensure maximum nutrient absorption without the deposition of fat.
- Eat three meals a day, not more: According to Ayurveda, you should have three meals a day without any snacks in between. Have a heavy breakfast as that tends to set the tone for the day, followed by a comparatively light lunch and an even lighter dinner. This is because your digestive system functions most effectively in the morning, fairly fast at noon, but it is the most sluggish at night.
- Go to bed early and rise early: This is often propagated as disturbances in the Circadian rhythm or the natural sleep and waking cycles are a big contributor to weight gain. Once this is properly regulated, it could result in weight loss because of your body metabolism being properly regulated.
Pregnancy loss could be devastating. Not only does it affect a woman mentally, but it also often takes a huge toll on her confidence. Post miscarriage trauma is a common phenomenon in this case. The range of emotion a woman might go through include denial, guilt, anger, depression, envy and yearning. Although the process of grieving takes a lot of time, the first step towards post miscarriage trauma is to accept the inevitable and move on.
Here is a list of tips that will greatly help a woman to cope up with the loss:
- Take time: While listening to friends and family seems to be the best course of action around this time, your loved ones need not get priorities at this time. If you believe that clearing your baby’s belongings is causing pain to you, take the time to prepare yourself. Clear away the stuff only when you are emotionally ready to do so.
- Create memories: While a lot of people suggest to completely get rid of all the memories that are attached to the baby, it may not be a great thing to do. Studies have shown that creating a memory about your loss helps to heal faster. So go ahead and take a picture with your baby, plant a tree, take a footprint or christen the baby. Good memories attached to your baby will not haunt you about the loss.
- Take care: Do not neglect your personal health and well-being. Eat well, take enough rest, quit smoking and drinking and seek pleasure in your loved one's company. The more you embrace life, better are your chances to get back to the grooves. Following an old hobby or working out one hour per day goes a long way in the process of healing.
- Get your partner’s help: Being open about your emotions is a good thing to do. Express your feelings about the baby to your partner. The process of coping up can be entirely different from each other. What matters is to let each other’s feelings known. Your partner’s broad shoulder is your best bet to come out of your loss.
- Set the expectations right: Women often get cranky and irritated after a miscarriage. Speak to your loved ones and let them know about your feelings. This will help you to get your loved ones support you and let you heal quickly from your loss.
- Support group: It is very comforting to share your feelings with people who have already experienced the kind of loss you have faced. Sharing in person can reduce your pain a great deal. A spiritual healer or a professional psychiatrist can also play a crucial role in your recovery.
Human beings are designed to relish contact and interaction with one another. After all, it is what makes us different from quite a few members of the animal kingdom. Having said that, sometimes, separation between people is a fact of life and it does have an impact on the lives of the people who get separated.
One of the interesting things about separation is when it occurs between couples is not only a feeling of sadness, but also a feeling of insecurity. It is to be kept in mind that the entire process of adjusting is not only one that is to be gone through by the couple, but also by their children. While it can prompt children to become independent and not overly reliant on their parents’ love, separation can also lead to a deficit or inadequate love being provided to them in the years that they are in the greatest need of it. This is quite an unfortunate aspect of separation.
There are a range of feelings which a person is likely to feel when separation occurs and there is a lot to be done by the way of working through these emotions. The mix can include resentment, disappointment, as well as a longing for the partner, even for quite some time after the divorce has taken place. In a number of cases, the most tormenting phase of separation is the time leading up to separation and the few days following it. Facing legal challenges, letting friends and family know about their decision and undergoing the entire role change leaves the couple as well as their children fatigued.
It may be ironic, but the fact of the matter remains that a person is not always rational after a divorce. Whimsically, it can be said that a separation of a marital bond does often affect the person’s ability of separation of rationality from irrationality!
While life as a single mother is quite tough, it is intriguing that women are the ones who initiate divorce twice as often as men do! After a divorce takes place, women are the custodians of the children they had in 90% of the cases; so it is true that women do have a high level of concern for their children. Often people in a separation emotionally act the same way children do when separated from their parents.
With the fast changing scenario and advancement of research, the definition of ailments are also becoming precise. Earlier, one term 'Impotency' was used in wider sense to define all sexology related problems, such as erectile dysfunction, low libido, low sperm count, infertility, and the inability to produce a child in both males and females. However today, with the advancement of research each problem has its own definition. Impotency is the condition where you suffer from a sexual dysfunction. It can cause stress and might undermine your confidence when you and your partner have a sexual encounter. It might also cause uneasiness between the two of you or embarrassment for having a dysfunction. In men, impotency is mostly in the form of erectile dysfunction whereas in women it is the inability to get pregnant. It may be due to a physical condition or an emotional trauma that you might be facing. Here are the two broad divisions of the causes of impotency:
1. Psychological causes: Depression, anxiety or stress might be the major psychological causes for impotency. Also various mental disorders might take a toll on potency and your sexual libido. A sexual dysfunction might just start very suddenly after suffering from any psychological trauma. A very common psychological problem which men face at least once in their lifetime is a condition called performance anxiety. You become extremely conscious about whether you will be able perform well as the society expects men to take an upper hand while having sex. This burdens you and you get anxious about your performance in bed, causing you to suffer from a dysfunction. In cases of a marital dispute or lack of communication with your partner might also be a reason of an occasional dysfunction.
2. Physical causes in women: The physical causes may or may not be curable naturally. Sometimes surgeries are required to cure these causes. Some medicines have certain side effects which can cause a dysfunction to form. Often times not enough blood flows to the reproductive organs which results in impotency. Certain nervous and hormonal disorders also affect your potency. Disorders like Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, blocked fallopian tubes, hormonal imbalances causing irregular periods, or improper egg implantation can cause impotency. In these cases it is extremely difficult for the women to become pregnant, i.e., you will not be able to conceive.
3. Physical causes in men: Having a low sperm count is the most common factor which results in impotency. Hormonal disorder like hypogonadism which results in a low sperm count is also a contributing factor. If you have a blockage in the testicles, it will again affect the sperm count negatively. Improper ejaculation is another common cause of impotency.
Although impotency may be extremely disheartening, you can be treated for it and have your own family eventually.
Sildenafil (Viagra), whose function is to inhibit a substance called Phosphodiestarase-5 or PDE5 - was initially used only for the treatment of angina pectoris (a cardiovascular problem) and pulmonary hypertension. Incidentally, it was discovered that it could help the issue of erectile dysfunction too, and thus became hugely popular in the late 1990s. The little blue pill, as it was called, ruled more than 50% of the sexual dysfunction market for more than 15 years. However, as its popularity and usage increased, so did the scientific information about this drug, and now there is an increased speculation that it could be contributing to skin cancer, specifically melanoma. This is considered as one of the most dangerous forms of skin cancer and so the safety of Viagra sildenafil came into question.
Research has shown that users of Viagra sildenafil are at a higher risk for developing melanoma. There are reports stating that about 45 million men are at an increased risk of developing melanoma due to associated Viagra sildenafil use. The risk of developing melanoma was found to increase in men using ED drugs by 21%. Though there is no conclusive proof as yet that sildenafil is the cause, research is increasingly pointing out its role in melanoma. For example, PDE5 inhibitors (sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil) are known to promote melanin synthesis, which may exacerbate melanoma development.
The analysis of biochemical pathways of this correlation suggests that Viagra sildenafil triggers a special biochemical action involving the growth-stimulating cGMP (cyclic guanosine monophosphate (an intracellular signaling molecule) which in turn promotes the growth of malignant melanoma. In normal cases, the enzyme phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) regulates the cGMP preventing any adverse cellular activity. Sildenafil inhibits the production of this enzyme, and potentiates a specific cGMP-related biochemical mechanism (called cGMP-cGKI pathway) , and thereby contributes to malignant melanoma. This has been proven to happen in mice and is yet to be proven in humans.
However, there are also reports which suggest that this does not happen due to Viagra sildenafil per se, but due to greater exposure to sun, which even otherwise increases the chances of skin cancer in general, and melanoma in particular. The countering theories also say that the population in which skin cancer was detected, comprised mostly of high income individuals who spent a significant amount of time holidaying on beaches and are not connected to the extensive use of Viagra per se.
Therefore, though there is a correlation that has been established, there is no definite proof that Viagra sildenafil causes skin cancer. It is however, advisable to use ED drugs after medical consultation. If a patient has a genetic predisposition to develop melanoma, it is advisable to seek medical advice before the use of ED drugs. Occasional use should not be harmful. Also, when going out in the sun, limiting exposure to direct sun and UV protection should be managed too.
Asthma is a common disease, characterized by the inflammation of the airways. These airways are responsible for the passage of air and therefore their inflammation causes shortness of breath and extreme discomfort. Though different branches of medicines have tried in their own ways to deal with this problem, Ayurveda with its emphasis on natural remedies has emerged as a clear favorite. According to Ayurveda, it is the stomach that is the source of all chronic diseases. The science believes that as impurities accumulate in our system, diseases like asthma come to the fore.
The different ways by which Ayurveda treats asthma are:
- Maintaining a proper diet: Since stomach is identified as the source of most diseases, any attempt to treat them should begin from the stomach itself. Ayurveda believes that those foods, which are easy to digest, inevitably helps in relieving you from the bouts of asthma. The concept that operates behind this is that easily digestible food provides nutrients, which are further absorbed by the tissues. This helps in rebuilding the strong strength as well as keeps the stomach in a sound condition.
- Herbal oil massage: A daily massage with herbal oil has always proved to have an extremely soothing and a calming effect on your system. Ideally the massage should be performed before taking a bath as it increases the blood circulation and pacify the nervous system.
- Exercise: Ayurveda is perhaps the only branch of medicine that gives equal priority to medications as well as exercises. It is believed that stretching and those exercises that facilitate flexibility can markedly reduce bouts of asthma. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Tendinitis is a discomfort of the tendon. It results in pain outside the joint. There are many tendons in the body, but this condition is mainly witnessed in wrists, heels, shoulders and elbows. Some frequently used names for different kinds of tendinitis includes pitcher’s shoulder, tennis elbow, jumper’s knee, golfer’s elbow and swimmer’s shoulder.
Symptoms of tendinitis:
Symptoms of tendinitis are witnessed at the point of contact between bone and the muscle. Some of the visible signs of tendinitis are tenderness, swelling and a dull ache while moving the affected joint. Even constant pain can be felt in some cases.
What are the causes of tendinitis?
Tendinitis is frequently observed among sportsmen and athletes. If a job involves repetitive motion of a particular joint, the stress on the tendons can result in tendinitis. It is therefore very important for sportsmen to use the right technique in order to refrain from tendon related problems. Sudden accidents can also result in an injury to the tendon.
Risk factor of tendinitis:
Risk factors for this condition include job, occupation, and sports. As a person gets older, tendons tend to lose their flexibility which can lead to an injury of the tendon. If the job of a person involves frequent reaching of the overhead, vibration, repetitive motion and forceful exertion, he might face an injury to the tendon resulting in tendinitis. Last but not the least, tendinitis is very common among players who are involved in sports such as basketball, tennis, golf, baseball, running , cricket and bowling.
What are the complications involved?
Tendinitis can aggravate to tendon rupture of proper treatment is not done on time. Tendon rupture needs a surgical procedure to fix. If tendon pain lasts for few weeks at stretch, there is a good chance that the condition has turned into tendinitis.
Diagnosis of tendinitis can be done with the physical exam itself. A doctor might want to look at an X-ray scan to negate other condition that might be causing the pain.
Treatment includes the prescription of pain relievers, such as ibuprofen and aspirin. Tropical creams can also be prescribed to relieve the pain. Doctors often suggest corticosteroids be injected along the tendon in order to relieve tendinitis. If the condition is not very serious, a doctor might suggest specific exercise such as eccentric strengthening to fix the condition.
If the condition is severe, the doctor might want to go for a surgical procedure to fix tendinitis. Especially in conditions where there is a tear in the tendon and the bone. Another invasive technique to treat tendinitis is the focused aspiration of scar tissue. This procedure is performed under anesthesia thereby causing less pain to the patient.
Infertility is a condition wherein a woman does not get pregnant in spite of having unprotected sexual intercourse over a period of a year or even more. An abnormal menstrual cycle that is either too short or too long, irregular or even scanty can be an indication of a lack of ovulation, which in turn, is another factor behind female infertility.
Ovulation disorders are characterized by either a lack of ovulation or irregular and infrequent ovulation. These are a major cause of infertility. This may be due to defects in the regulation of the reproductive hormones by the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus (brain center responsible for producing some of the most essential hormones required by the body). Malfunctioning of the ovary is another cause in itself. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, premature failure of the ovaries (a condition wherein a woman’s ovaries fail to function properly even before she is 40 years old), hypothalamic dysfunction (a dysfunction of the hypothalamus) and excessive production of prolactin (a hormone that stimulates milk production among women after childbirth) by the pituitary gland are some of the factors responsible for the occurrence of such a disorder.
Damaged fallopian tubes do not allow the sperms to fuse properly with the egg. They might also prevent the fertilized egg from entering into the uterus. This condition may be caused due to pelvic inflammatory diseases (a group of infections of the reproductive organs in women), an infection in the fallopian tubes or the uterus caused due to various Sexually Transmitted Diseases, any abdominal surgery or surgery of the pelvic region and pelvic tuberculosis.
Endometriosis, wherein the tissue that usually grows in the uterus, starts growing outside it, is another factor responsible for infertility.
Several cervical or uterine disorders, such as tumors, inflammation within the uterus, uterine abnormalities, a cervical narrowing or the inability of the cervix to produce mucous for the sperm to travel to the uterus, are likely to impact fertility by obstructing implantation or enhancing the chances of miscarriage.
Reproductive assistance by Intrauterine insemination (a process that involves putting sperms inside a woman’s uterus in order to help her conceive) and Assisted reproductive technology consisting of IVF, which is the safest and the best.
Fertility drugs can be used to regulate and induce ovulation. But they carry with them certain risks and therefore you should consult your physician prior to consumption. Few examples of these drugs are Clomiphene Citrate, Gonadotropins, Metformin, Letrozole and Bromocriptine.
Surgical procedures can be recommended to correct reproductive abnormalities and restore fertility. A laparoscopic surgery or a tubal ligation reversal surgery (a surgery that unites one’s fallopian tubes again in order to enable the woman to have a baby) can be advised by the doctor.
An often persistent and long-lasting condition, psoriasis interferes with the life cycle of skin cells and causes them to increase rapidly on the surface of the skin. These generally appear as dry, itchy and red patches of skin having thick, silvery scales.
Psoriasis can be subdivided into the following:
- Plaque psoriasis: The most common form, characterized by dry, red skin lesions covered with silvery scales and can be seen anywhere on the body.
- Scalp psoriasis: These appear on the scalp and may extend beyond the hairline.
- Nail psoriasis: These affect the toenails and fingernails.
- Guttate psoriasis: Characterized by blister-like appearances and are stimulated by bacterial infections.
- Inverse psoriasis: Caused by fungal infections.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis: Can cover the entire body with a reddish rash that may peel.
- Pustular psoriasis: Capable of causing chills, fever and diarrhea.
The usual signs and symptoms of psoriasis include:
- Red, sensitive patches of skin
- A silvery, scaly cover
- Dry and cracked skin that may bleed when scratched or agitated
- Tiny scaling spots (witnessed in children)
- Persistent itching, soreness or burning sensation
- Ridged, thickened or pitted nails
- Stiff and swollen joints
Possible causes of psoriasis may include:
- Skin infections or strep throat infections
- Skin injuries, like cuts, bites or sunburns
- Cold weather
- Chronic alcoholism
- Certain medications such as high blood pressure medications
The following factors may further increase the risk of developing the disease:
- Fungal and bacterial infections
- Family history
A few health tips for psoriasis patients:
- Maintain safer distance from the possible variables that cause or aggravate psoriasis
- Practice yoga regularly. Yoga can lessen the intensity of psoriasis.
- Avoid pricking, peeling or scratching your skin.
- Make sure to pat your skin dry after washing, and avoid rubbing vigorously with towel or any rough cloth.
- Avoid artificial cleansers and use gram flour (besan flour) instead.
- Use cotton clothes
- Avoid cold water bath or immediate cleaning up right after heavy work-out, long walks, or travel.
- Avoid food stuffs that can cause indigestion.
- Avoid excessive salty and acidic food stuffs, radish, urad dal, sesame, jaggery (gur), curds, fish and other sour food stuffs that can trigger psoriasis.
Depending on various factors like time, quantity, age, sex, purpose, physical condition and health issues of the drinker, alcohol consumption can be harmless or can turn poisonous. While moderate and wise consumption can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, be good for circulatory system and may also prevent type2 diabetes and gallstones, heavy drinking and alcohol abuse may increase the risk of high blood pressure, liver disease (cirrhosis), pancreatitis, heart muscle damage (leading to heart failure) and even certain cancers.
To be a responsible drinker, the most vital point to be aware of is the right and the healthy time to have a drink, besides knowing how to control and prevent heavy drinking.
Times when cons outweigh the pros
Consuming alcohol during pregnancy, after being diagnosed with liver or pancreatic diseases, while taking medications or over-the-counter medications that can interact with alcohol, despite having a history of a haemorrhagic stroke are some of the times and situations when it should be avoided at any cost.
The right times:
Full stomach: If you wish to grab a drink, it is sensible and proper to have it after a full and hearty meal. The richer the pre-meal is with proteins, healthy fat, starch and other macronutrients, the more it will help slow down the rate at which alcohol gets absorbed into the bloodstream, thereby reducing the severity of nausea, dizziness, headaches and other alcohol-induced sicknesses. Eggs, fibre-rich cereals, nuts and salmons – source of vitamin B components, protein-rich chicken are some of the pre-game food items and delicacies that can greatly trim alcohol effects and hangover heaviness at the same time. Refined carbohydrates like chips and cookies don't slow down or prevent the effects of alcohol due to the fact that they can be digested comparatively quickly. Medical help regarding pre-alcohol meal should be sought in case of any health issues.
Hydrated body: Alcohol decreases the number of anti-diuretic hormones produced by our body, which helps us to stay hydrated. As a result, our body loses precious fluids fast and gets dehydrated at a faster pace. On top of that, increased urination and vomiting (if occurs) brought about by drinking further causes dehydration. Some of the signs of dehydration can be a dry and sticky mouth, decreased urination and headache. So it is really important to swallow a glass or two of water before so that you can start drinking with your body already hydrated with necessary fluid. In this context, it is also necessary to keep your body hydrated throughout. Maintaining a healthy alcoholic to non-alcoholic beverages ratio during the consumption process is always the best idea.
Sufficient sleep: Alcoholic drinks can interfere with our sleep. It disrupts the Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep and accelerates our metabolism. Hence our body becomes more alert than general and sleeping becomes difficult. It is advisable to avoid alcohol, if you had slept poorly the previous night and looking forward to a good night’s sleep.
The body produces a number of chemicals called hormones which are essential for the regulation of various functions including growth and metabolism. These hormones are produced by endocrine glands which are located in various parts of the body. One such important gland is the pituitary gland which produces the important growth hormone. This is essential for regulating optimal growth during the growing years and for maintaining proper amounts of body fat, muscles, and bones in the later years of life.
Causes: Deficiency of the growth hormones can occur due to a number of causes, some of which are listed below. It can be congenital (present at birth) or acquired later in life.
The congenital issue could be due to problem in the pituitary gland structure, leading to complete absence or reduced secretion of the hormone.
With age, there is a decrease in the amount of secretion. However, infections, injuries, brain tumors, surgery and radiation can also lead to altered amounts of secretion.
Symptoms: While growth hormone deficiency can occur at any age, symptoms differ depending on the age when the deficiency sets in.
In the early ages:
- Lower rate of growth for a given age
- Delayed developmental milestones
- Delayed onset of puberty
- Short stature/reduced height
- Younger looking compared to other children their age
- Fat deposition around the waist
- Delayed dental development
When the deficiency sets in during the later years, there is
- Low energy levels, constant tiredness
- Decreased strength
- Decreased exercise tolerance
- Decreased overall muscle mass
- Thin and dry skin
- Increased fat deposition and weight gain around the waist
- Changes in social behavior including alternate cycles of anxiety and depression
- Lack of motivation
- History of pituitary tumors
- High levels of fat and cholesterol
The diagnosis depends on the age of the person
- Blood tests are carried out to check the hormone levels in circulation
- In children, in addition to the hormone levels, x-rays to see the status of growth plates is very helpful.
- An insulin hypoglycemia test where insulin is given intravenously to see the levels of the growth hormone after 30 minutes.
- Total cholesterol levels, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, apolipoprotein B, and triglyceride levels can be used to supplement the above tests.
- CT scan and/or MRI of the brain may be needed if tumors are suspected.
Treatment: Once diagnosed, replacement therapy is given as shots a few times a week under the skin. This restores normal growth and helps in controlling the symptoms in adults too.
In cases of tumor, radiation or surgery may be required, but most cases are managed with hormone replacement.
Watch out for the symptoms if your child has delayed developmental milestones and early intervention can help restore growth and function to normal levels.
Shingles is a type of skin infection that results in rashes on certain parts of the body. It is characterized by a single stripe of blisters that may occur on either side of the body. The varicella-zoster virus that causes chickenpox is also responsible for causing shingles. Once you have had chickenpox, the virus remains in a dormant state in the body. If the virus gets reactivated, it might cause shingles.
The symptoms of shingles are:
- You may experience sensations of numbness and burning on the affected area
- The affected area may be sensitive to touch
- Symptoms of red rashes on the body
- Blisters that are filled with fluid
- Bursting of blisters and crusting
- You may experience fever and headaches
- You may have difficulties in vision
The first symptom of shingles is the pain that results from the rash. In some cases, rashes may occur around the eyes.
Shingles is caused by the virus that is responsible for chickenpox. After lying dormant for certain period of time, the virus may get reactivated and travel through the nerve pathways on the skin. This is more likely to happen if your immunity level is somehow affected, which makes it easier for the body to get infected.
The disease is contagious in nature, so it is advised to stay away from people who have shingles. Remember that if you are not immune to chickenpox, then coming in contact with a person who has shingles, might result in you developing chickenpox.
Shingles may result in certain complications in the body such as:
- Vision loss: Shingles, if present around the eyes, may lead to infections in the eye causing vision problems.
- Post herpetic neuralgia: In some cases, the pain that occurs from shingles may continue well after the infection has subsided.
- Neurological complications: Shingles may cause inflammation in various nerves, resulting in neurological disorders such as facial paralysis and balance problems.
- Infections in the skin: Shingles may also cause infections on the skin.