Obesity is a global epidemic, affecting almost all areas of human health, from heart disease to cancer, and impacting upon most of the major causes of preventable death. However, in recent years, obesity has increased dramatically in many parts of the world with India ranking third in the world’s most obese countries. Although diet and lifestyle choices play a big role, obesity might be in your genes, according to a recent study.
With over 50% of obesity being attributed to genetics, obesity can be an inherited condition. We inherit a lot more from our parents and grand-parents than our skin, hair colour and intelligence, but also predisposition to conditions such as obesity. Understanding one’s genetic profile can help individuals understand their body type and tailor their diets to foods best suited to them.
The obesity gene – FTO
The FTO gene, commonly called the obese gene is a major contributor to obesity in individuals. One version of this gene makes impulse control difficult, affecting your food choice and makes it difficult to maintain a healthy weight. Several other genes such as MC4R, INSIG, TCF7L2, LEP, IRS, have also been found to contribute to obesity. While genes do play some role in causing a predisposition to obesity, they are not entirely to blame. According to a study published by Harvard School of Public Health, ‘Active adults who carried the obesity-promoting gene had a 30 percent lower risk of obesity than inactive adults who carried the gene’. In addition to genetics, there are several factors that play a role – unhealthy lifestyles, diet inadequate in nutrients but rich in calories, higher stress levels, physical inactivity, rise in conditions such as diabetes, hormonal imbalances, in fertility etc.
Genetic tests are available nowadays to tell you what type of genes that you carry and your susceptibility to obesity. Personalised weight management programs are more effective than one size fits all approach that provides generic advice.
Simple dietary modifications can help you to overcome risks of gaining weight that might be caused due to your obesity genes:
- Drink 1 glass of water before every meal that you consume. This helps you to make you feel full and eat less.
- Slow paced eating (20-25 minutes) helps you to feel full and also aids in digestion.
- Protein rich breakfast such as two egg whites or 1 cup of pulses will help you to maintain your satiety.
- High fibre diet (at least 3-4 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruits) will help you to lose weight.
- Adding a variety to your diet will also help you to lose weight.
Female aged 25 yrs, weight 87 kgs, height 165 cms. I have a medical history of idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH). I underwent lumbar puncture in March 2014. No current medication/disorder. I would like to take Garcinia Cambogia for weight loss. Ingredients: Garcinia Cambogia extract standardised 60% HCA & 15% Natural Calcium. Will taking this supplement have a negative impact on my health because of my medical history? Will this increase my intracranial hypertension?
My belly fat is not reducing even when I am doing aerobics for last 3 months and doing all sorts of belly reducing exercises. Kindly answer me.
Hello Doctor, My age is 37 and my weight is 85 kg, please suggest diet plan to reduce weight as well as fat.
Every shape is pretty until it stays in shape. Take a healthy diet to stay in perfect shape n to live a healthy life.
What are the benefits on my body drinking 750 ml to 1 litre hot water after a lunch / dinner about leaving for 20 mins. I want to reduce belly fat. And what should I do next!
I'm worried about my heavy weight and broad personality please send me the good diet plan for losing weight.
I am 48 years old. How to decrease my weight? My height is 160 cms, and weight is 69. What food habits and exercise would you suggest me? Also suggest me how to prevent diabetes sugar level. My sugar level is normal now. What precautions should I take to prevent it. Regards
I am 25 year old female and want to know if eating salad (cabbage, tomatoes, radish, beet root, cucumber etc) at night is advisable incase of weight loss?
How can I use pearl millet and ragi flour in my daily diet plan for WEIGHT LOSS process? How much of pearl millet or ragi flour to be added in my diet?
Liposuction is very popular as a relatively quick and safe cosmetic surgery to get rid of excess fat. At one time, the procedure was even touted as a better alternative to healthy diet and exercise. Regardless of such myths, liposuction is an important development in cosmetic surgery. Indeed in certain cases (of extreme weight gain) liposuction is the first surgical procedure performed on the patient. Like all surgeries, liposuction has a few do's and don'ts, and they are:
- Keep your weight at a healthy level before surgery. The more the amount of fat is removed from your body, the greater is the risk involved in surgery, which is why controlling your weight pre surgery is important. Losing a large amount of weight leaves a lot of loose skin in your body, which can make your skin look saggy.
- Wear your compression garments. Compression garments help your skin compress over the area where the fat used to be, leaving smooth, tight skin.
- Continue exercising (with the go ahead of your doctor) after the procedure and follow a healthy diet to maintain your body.
- Maintain gentle activity for two weeks after the procedure. This will help in removing fluid deposition in the surgical area and prevent complications.
- Do not take anti inflammatory medicines like aspirin or ibuprofen as these medicines may cause bleeding complications. They also harm the body's immune system, which is detrimental to recovery.
- Do not smoke or drink while recovering as Nicotine disturbs normal skin growth, which may lead to permanent scars, while alcohol interferes with the effect of some medicines.
- Don't lift heavy objects or bend down immediately after the surgery. Your doctor will give you a more specific timeline as to when you can pursue such activities.
- Don't expect results from day one. You will see results after you have recovered from the surgery.
- Do not opt for liposuction specifically for weight loss. Liposuction is chiefly a procedure for shaping and contouring the fat in your body to give you that shape you always desired. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist and ask a free question.