Doctor Ruchi Gupta is a highly qualified and skilled Anesthesiologist in Amritsar. After 31 years of experience in her field, she is an expert in pain management and especially, spinal pain management. She started with an MBBS from the Government Medical College in Amritsar (1986) and then acquired a DNB in Anesthesia from the National Board of Examination in 1997. In 1991, she completed her MD in Anesthesiology at the Government medical college of Patiala. To add to her list of qualifications she then obtained a Diploma in Aesthetic Medicine in Florida, USA.
Doctor Gupta seeks to provide holistic relief to the pain that her patients experience, which includes their medical and psychological pain as well. An excellent Anesthesiologist, she excels in pain management for the following conditions; facial pains, neuropathic pains, neck aches, lower back pains, Neuralgia and Fibromyalgia. Her specialty lies in treatment procedures such as pain management counseling, Rf Neurotomy procedure, epidural and spinal anesthesia techniques as well as pain management for cancer.
Patients can seek medical consultation from her today, at the RM Pain Clinic in Vallah Mehta road, Amritsar. She is available at the clinic from Monday to Saturday, 9 am to 3 pm.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Ruchi Gupta
Treatment of Headaches
Treatment of Neck Pain
Treatment of Lower Back Pain
Treatment of Nerve Pain
Treatment of Fibromyalgia
Back Pain Treatment
Neck Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Chronic Pain Management
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Treatment of Facial Pain
Treatment of Disc Prolapse
Treatment of Muscle Pain Skeleton System
Cancer Pain Management
Epidural And Spinal Anesthesia Techniques
Pain Management Counseling
Submit a review for Dr. Ruchi GuptaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Tried many doctors about my lower back pain but didn't find any improvement. But in Dr Ruchi Gupta's Pain Clinic in the first treatment I found 50 % improvement in me. Now its improving day by day. Thanxz to Dr. Ruchi Gupta for honest advice and treatment.
A genicular nerve block is a minimally invasive procedure wherein local anaesthetics are injected to obstruct the nerves that cause pain in the knee. This procedure helps to
- Determine whether pathologic changes and swelling within the joints is the reason for excruciating knee pain.
- Confirm whether the pain in the knee responds well to treatment procedures.
A genicular nerve block is used to treat a number of chronic pain causing conditions such as:
- Degenerative diseases of the joint
- Patients suffering from chronic pain but cannot undergo surgery
- Pain that is caused as a result of partial or complete replacement of the knee
Role of Genicular Nerve Block -
- Helps to determine the location of pain
- Enables patients to regain mobility and body vitality. This happens because patients due to extreme knee pain halt activities that might further cause stress and pain.
- It is an effective diagnostic procedure.
What should I expect during a knee genicular nerve block?
A successful genicular nerve block starts with conscientious pre-operative care. Your doctor’s instructions may vary depending on your individual health and circumstances, but in general, you can expect the following before, during, and after a genicular knee block. If this advice differs from your doctor’s, always follow your doctor’s advice first and foremost.
A genicular nerve block is a diagnostic procedure therefore, it will only help to alleviate pain for a couple of hours and not cure it entirely. The effects will last anywhere between eight to twenty-four hours after which the patient’s knee pain returns.
On getting positive results from a genicular nerve block, the doctor will recommended to the patient to undergo radiofrequency ablation which is a more long term solution for the pain.
What happens after the genicular nerve block treatment?
You will be asked not to drive for at least 24 hours after the procedure and you must have a driver drive you home from our office. You may experience pain and some soreness in the injection site lasting a day or two. The anesthetic should give you immediate relief while it may take the steroid 3-5 days to fully kick in.
How long will the pain relief last?
The duration of the pain relief will vary from patient to patient. It can last from only a few days to a matter of months. Repeated injections may be necessary to manage the pain. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Chronic pain in the lower back is intolerable. Treating it with interventional pain medicine ensures you can have a pain-free life. The best part happens to be the multiple alternatives offered by this system and it does not recommend surgery. Chronic lower back pain disables more people than cancer or cardiovascular diseases. This not only affects the quality of life but can also lead to depression. Affected people cannot concentrate on career, and not all nature of jobs is apt for them.
Interventional pain medicine creates a program and routine for various treatments.
Facet injections: Diagnosis and pain relief are offered by facet injections. It diagnoses if the pain emanates from the facet joints of the spine. To identify this, a numbing medicine is injected in the facet joints of the spine. If these joints are where the pain originates, then you will be satisfied for the relief is instant. If the problem is severe, the relief is temporary and if the degeneration is mild, then the relief is long-lasting. The steroid cortisone with the numbing agent is injected, which helps in offering the pain-relieving effect. When only the numbing agent is injected, the pain relief is temporary. Using the steroids helps in bringing down the inflammation. This improves the quality of treatment. Facet blocks, as these facet injections are called, got this name because they block the facet pain. If you are not responding to the facet injections, radiofrequency rhizotomy is recommended.
Radiofrequency Rhizotomy: This advanced treatment helps in alleviating pain caused by progressive degeneration of the facet joints. The pain-sensing nerves in the facet joints are targeted in this treatment. A radiofrequency-generated heat is used to alleviate the pain. The key factor is that your doctor should be aware of the place of origin of your pain. To identify the right nerves, an MRI scan, discography, or facet injection might be used by your doctor. Lumbar discography comes into picture when patients do not respond to the other conventional treatment methods. You need to be awake and guide the radiologist when radiofrequency rhizotomy is performed. An electrode needle is used close to the facet joint that suffers degeneration. After the nerve is numbed with an anesthetic, this thin needle is used to apply heat. The connection between the brain and the nerve is cut down. During this treatment, the nerves above and below the affected nerves are targeted, in addition to the affected nerves. This ensures that no pain is caused even by the less damaged nerves in the future.
Lumbar epidural steroid injection: When the aforementioned treatments fail, Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection, LESI in short, helps in pain relief by using steroids. The skin is numbed with an anesthetic and the steroids are injected. The targets are the dura and sac that contain the nerve roots. The injections are effective in offering results for a few months. Over a period of one year, three LESI injections can be given. The pain relief is excellent and you can do exercises and stretches after getting one injection. This is an excellent treatment for chronic back pain and sciatica.
Sacroiliac joint block: These are a type of injections that used for diagnosing as well as treating low back pain pertaining to sacroiliac joint dysfunction. It is the joint that is located right next to the spine which is connected from the bottom of the spine to the hip. Here in a needle is inserted in the sacroiliac joint to inject a numbing agent and an anti-inflammatory medicatiton. This injection is repeated thrice a year. Also, for best results the injection must be followed by a physical therapy.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Chronic back pain is distressing. It not only causes physical suffering but also mental agony. The affected individual cannot perform any task with ease, which can also affect one emotionally. However, this is a condition that can be reversed to a great extent. While many claim a surgery can help really well, there are ways one can find solace without having to resort to surgery.
- Physical therapy: To manage back pain, most of the doctors trust physical therapy more than medications. This has to be done under the guidance of a pain physicians. It has to be taken into note that for everyone, the same exercises cannot be effective. The therapy is patient-specific. The therapist examines your posture and finds the endurance of your pain. Then he prepared a plan with exercises that help strengthen the core. Some exercises are done with the help of a few helping aids such as an elastic band.
- Injection based treatments: Many injection therapies given by pain physicians are getting popular for the right reasons. They can do away the pain for several months in a few sittings. They aim at identifying the source of pain, and the injection is administered in the nerve ending that causes pain. However, these are not a permanent solution to the chronic condition, and they can be used in conjunction with other remedies. For instance, if it is your working lifestyle that causes back pain, then this treatment can help you to stay off from pain, until you are willing to go for an alternative.
- Lifestyle modifications: Find out what causes pain and work out on solutions based on it. If excess weight is the culprit, then you need to focus on losing the extra pounds. At times, lack of physical activity can lead to this condition. When you start quitting the sedentary lifestyle, you will see that the back pain fades slowly. Taking fresh foods and fruits help because they are loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Stress-free life: Stress can lead to various health issues, and back pain is no exception from the list. You need to follow therapies that aim to rejuvenate the body and fill it with positive energy. Meditation and tai chi are classic examples. You can also consult a rehabilitation psychiatrist for constructing a cognitive strategy that helps in relaxing the body and mind.
- Medications: In case of chronic back pain the NSAIDs are the most commonly recommended as a first line of action. These include medicines like ibuprofen or Flexon.
Other ways include taking drugs under the guidance of a medical professional. You can also try other treatment methods such as acupuncture, healing techniques, biofeedback therapy, electric nerve stimulation, and laser therapy to seek relief from back pain that affects the quality of life.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Back pain is something that affects many people all over the world. Persistent and chronic pain seems to be one of the most common complaints. Middle back pain is back pain that is felt in the thoracic vertebrae region, which is located between the base of the neck and top of the lumbar spine. The ribs attach to a long, flat bone in the middle of the chest called the sternum and wrap around the back. In case, there is a nerve around there is squeezed, disturbed, or injured, you are likely to feel pain in different spots where the nerve goes through, for example, your arms, legs, chest and the stomach.
Some of the most common causes of middle back pain are as follows:
- Middle back pain can happen as a consequence of injury or sudden damage or it can happen through strain or poor stance after some time.
- The most widely recognized reason for middle back pain seems to begin from soft tissue problems or muscular irritation. These can emerge from poor stance, lack of strength, prolonged sitting in front of a computer, utilizing a heavy backpack, overuse injuries, (for example, repetitive movement), or injury, (like a whiplash damage brought about by an auto crash or as a consequence of a sports injuries).
- The middle back is a moderately normal site for inflammatory, degenerative, metabolic, infective and neoplastic conditions.
- Middle back pain and its dysfunctions are connected with various conditions, for example, essential and optional osteoporosis (particularly vertebral cracks and hyperkyphosis emerging from vertebral bone loss), ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritis and Scheuermann's infection.
- Muscle strain, overuse or damage to the muscles, tendons, and discs that are backing your spine can also cause middle back pain.
- Weight on the spinal nerves from specific issues, for example, a herniated disc.
- A fracture in one of the vertebrae can also cause pain in this region.
- Osteoarthritis created by the breakdown of ligament or cartilage that cushions the little joints in the spine.
- Myofascial pain that influences the connective tissue of a muscle or gathering of muscles.
- In uncommon cases, pain might be brought about by different issues, for example, gall bladder disease, cancer or an infection.
- Getting hit hard in the back can also cause chronic pain.
- Lift something too heavy may cause pain and a sudden pressure in this area.
- A compression fracture of the vertebra can also bring about intense or chronic pain in the middle back. The injury may bring about a fracture, however in ladies over age 50 without critical injury or somebody known to have osteoporosis, an unconstrained vertebral fracture is possible.
Other contributing factors to injury include lack of strength which can be treated by a Pain Management Specialist using non-surgical methods. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Are you prone to slipped disc problem? + the ideal way to treat it
A slipped disc, also known as a prolapsed disc or herniated disc, is the term given to the phenomenon that occurs when a cartilaginous disc found between the vertebrae in the spine becomes slightly displaced or protrudes, thereby pressing on the nerves in the adjacent areas and causing back pain.
This happens when the soft inner part of the disc, known as nucleus pulposus, bulges out through a weakness in the exterior part of the disc. A prolapsed disc usually occurs in the lower region of the spine and can be of varying sizes. There might even be the development of inflammation around the disc in some cases.
Who is likely to get affected?
Most cases of herniated disc occur in patients between the ages of 30 and 50. The number of men affected is twice as many as the number of women.
Although the root cause of this problem is not yet known, there are a number of factors that may trigger it. These factors include working at a job that requires a lot of lifting, an occupation that involves remaining in a seated position for a long time, weight-bearing sports, obesity, smoking habits and increasing age.
Effective ways of treating the problem
- Medications - There are many different kinds of medicines that are effective in providing relief. These include painkillers, muscles relaxants, anti-inflammatory pills, etc.
- Spinal injections - A number of spinal injections are used to treat slipped discs. The injection is done at the opening where the inflamed nerve roots are found and reduces pain, swelling and irritation in the area.
- Radiofrequency ablation - This procedure makes use of an electrical current produced by radio waves to reduced pain and sensitivity in the affected area.
- Ozone discectomy - As opposed to the surgical removal of the prolapsed disc, this new process makes use of an ozone-oxygen mixture that is injected into the spine to treat the problem. Many international studies have proved its superiority to traditional methods and surgeries.
Those affected by this problem are advised to keep exercising and continuing with their everyday activities as best as possible. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!