Table Of Contents
Rifampicin belongs to the rifamycin group of antibiotics and is used to treat numerous bacterial infections.This includes leprosy, tuberculosis and Legionnaire's disease. This medicine is administered either by mouth or intravenously. It works by interfering and preventing the production of RNA by bacteria.
Common side effects of this drug include diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite. It often turns the colour of sweat, urine and tears red or orange. Liver problems or allergic reactions may also occur as side effects. Even though its safety during pregnancy is not known, Rifampicin is part of the recommended treatment of tuberculosis during pregnancy.
People with hypersensitivity to Rifampicin and jaundice are not recommended this medicine. It should be used with caution in people with a history of alcoholism and hepatic and renal impairment. Elderly, malnourished patients, children below 2 years of age, pregnant or breastfeeding women need to take this medicine in lower doses.
This medicine is best taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Your dosage will be as prescribed by your doctor where your age, weight and medical condition will be taken into consideration.
What are the uses of Rifampicin
What are the side effects of Rifampicin ?
Key highlights of Rifampicin
- Is It safe with alcohol? Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?
Cavidin 450mg tablet may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
- Are there any breast-feeding warnings? Cavidin 450mg tablet is probably safe to use during breastfeeding. Please consult your doctor.
- Is it safe to drive while on this medicine? There is no data available. Please consult doctor before consuming the drug.
- Does this affect kidney function? Caution to be advised in patients with impaired renal function.
- Does this affect liver function? There is no data available. Please consult doctor before consuming the drug.
What are the dosage instructions?
- Are there any missed dose instructions? If you miss a dose of Rifampicin, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double the dose.
Medicines containing Rifampicin
Below is the list of medicines, which contains Rifampicin as ingredient
Sanofi India Ltd
Shrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd
Themis Medicare Ltd
Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
How does this medication work?
Rifampicin inhibits bacterial RNA polymerase which is the enzyme responsible for the transcription of DNA. Rifampicin binds and prevents RNA synthesis by blocking elongation and synthesis of bacterial proteins. It blocks the bond between nucleotides in the RNA backbone.
What are the interactions of Rifampicin ?
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Medicine
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.