Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Anupreksha Rastogi
Submit a review for Dt. Anupreksha RastogiYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dt. Anupreksha Rastogi to be helped me improve my health, inspiring, professional, very helpful and knowledgeable. Tq doctor
Dt. Anupreksha Rastogi provides answers that are prompt. Thank you for your valuable advice wish u all the very best in your progressive and bright carrer
I found the answers provided by the Dt. Anupreksha Rastogi to be very helpful. Very helpful...i will follow this
If you are concerned about your heart’s health, it is important for you to make some dietary modifications. Simple changes in your everyday diet may offer benefits, which help in preventing future heart problems. If you suffer from high blood pressure or high cholesterol or have atrial fibrillation.
Here are some tips regarding the best diet for protecting your heart:
- Believe in the food hype: Having healthy meals is certainly beneficial and makes a big difference to your heart health. Consuming meals which contain vegetables, grains, low fat dairy and lean meat will allow you to live a longer and healthier life.
- Avoid crash diets: A crash diet may be effective, if you want to fit in a dress within one month. However, for improving your heart health, undertaking different fad diets is not useful. Meals in which a certain type of nutrients such as carbohydrates or fats are ruled out are not beneficial as well. You should have a sensible approach towards your diet and focus on food products such as vegetables, whole grains and lean meat.
- Do not overeat: Overeating will lead to weight gain and commonly, many people get heart attack after taking a big meal.
- Eat less salt: You should consume less amount of salt in your diet and do not eat more than one teaspoon of salt a day. Avoid any food item which contains high amounts of sodium. Salt is responsible for increasing blood pressure.
- Limit your intake of alcohol and caffeine: In case you suffer from atrial fibrillation, you should avoid caffeine and any other stimulant as they tend to trigger the symptoms. You must drink moderately as consuming more than one drink a day increases your risks of having heart problems.
- Choose meat wisely: You should avoid red meat, which contains large amount of saturated fats as these are not good for the heart. You should choose the leanest cuts of meats and trim all fat from it. You should opt for cuts such as flank, rump roast, tenderloin and sirloin. Pork tenderloin, chicken and turkey breast are other alternatives.
- Add fish to your diet: Fish is essential for improving your heart health. Try to avoid having deep fried fish and choose grilled fish or roasted fish, which are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Consume fishes like tuna, salmon, trout and sardines.
You should also add whole grains to your diet. They are effective in controlling blood sugar and lower the chances of diabetes. Hence, the risks of heart diseases are less if you do not have diabetes. Whole grains also help with weight loss, which is beneficial for the heart.
The thyroid is a small gland located on the neck. When the thyroid gland functions normally, it is easy to ignore it but an underactive or overactive thyroid gland can cause a number of problems. An underactive thyroid gland is known as hypothyroidism. In this case, the gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. This, in turn, lowers metabolism. Your diet plays a large role in influencing the functioning of the thyroid gland.
Some of the foods you should avoid in cases of hypothyroidism are:
- Cruciferous Vegetables: This includes vegetables such as cabbage, bok choi, kale, sprouts, and broccoli. These vegetables restrict the thyroid’s ability to absorb iodine which in turn lowers the functionality of the thyroid gland. While you do not need to completely avoid these vegetables, you should restrict their intake to less than 5 ounces each day. Cooking these vegetables can also help reduce their effect.
- Soy: Soy products are rich in plant-based phytoestrogen. This hormone interferes with the body’s ability to use the thyroid hormone. It can worsen hypothyroidism and even increase the risk of hypothyroidism. However, this has not been scientifically proven and hence there are no specific dietary guidelines on how much should be eaten. To be on the safe side, consume soy products in moderation and avoid them whenever possible.
- Fatty Foods: Hypothyroidism is yet another reason to avoid fatty foods. Fats interfere with the body’s ability to absorb thyroid hormone as well as thyroid hormone replacement drugs. It also lowers the production of thyroid hormone and thus aggravates hypothyroidism. Ideally, you should avoid fatty foods such as red meat, fatty fish, butter, mayonnaise etc. You should also avoid foods that are deep fried. Instead, try steaming or baking your food.
- Sugar: Many dieticians refer to sugar as empty calories. These calories do not have any nutrients but can slow down the body’s metabolism rate. It also leads to weight gain that furthers aggravates hypothyroidism as well as other lifestyle disorders such as diabetes. Limit your sugar consumption to 1-2 spoons a day or try and eliminate it completely. You could also try replacing sugar with honey to sweeten your tea.
- Excess Fiber: An excessive amount of anything including fiber can be detrimental to the body. Too much fiber can create complications in the treatment of hypothyroidism. Thus, you should not consume more than 35 grams of fiber a day. This can take the form of whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
If only losing weight was as easy as gaining it, people would have been a lot happier in their lives. Maintaining a healthy body weight has become very important. In addition to the physical discomfort, being obese or overweight can invite innumerable health complications. From diabetes to cardiac problems, menstrual problems to reproductive disorders, the list is endless. Unhealthy lifestyle habits and practices make things even worse. As per a survey, obesity is on a mercurial rise, wreaking havoc like never before. The condition is particularly affecting children and teenagers. It can often be really painful to see them suffer so much because of obesity.
Since time immemorial, we were made to believe that physical activities such as exercise and gymming play a pivotal role, assisting millions of people to lose weight effectively. Nobody ever felt the need to challenge the credibility of this fact. We were too happy to follow the belief blindly. The hardcore fitness freaks swear by the health benefits of exercises and gymming. Now here comes a shocker, recent studies suggest that exercise or gymming does little to help you shed the extra pounds. Yes, you heard it right! Research in the UK and USA have come up with this shocking fact that is sure to break many hearts.
There is no denying the fact that exercise and gymming is a healthy practice. People with cardiac problems, dementia, anxiety, to name a few, definitely benefit from exercises. It has made pregnancy a lot easier for many pregnant women. However, when it comes to weight loss, the contribution is almost negligible. Many people have the misconception that obesity is mainly due to lack of physical activity and exercise. If that was the case then physically fit people would never put on any weight, which is not always the case. Obesity can be an indication and an outcome of some serious health complications, such as PCOS (PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome), hypothyroidism, cushing's syndrome, to name a few. In such cases, exercise may help to lose some weight, but only when supplemented along with proper medications and treatment.
Many health and fitness institutes and organizations guarantee 100% success and fruitful results for people dealing with obesity. It would be extremely foolish on your part to buy their words without getting yourself medically examined. A timely diagnosis and treatment will automatically be helpful to deal with the situation better. Gymming or exercise helps to lose weight when amalgamated with a proper diet and healthy lifestyle practices. A strong determination and willpower are equally important for weight loss.
Losing weight may be difficult, but not impossible. Have patience, lead a healthy life, eat a healthy and balanced diet. Exercise, but do not depend on it to work miracles for you.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am vegan (no meat no egg no dairy) can you tell me the good vegan source for b12 and how to increase level melatonin level ?_?
A rising number of teenage girls in the country are getting affected with Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease or PCOD. Though an advanced menarche has become very rampant these days, there are many young women who are suffering from a delay in menarche which in turn is leading to PCOD as opined by gynaecologists. Obesity and sedentary lifestyle among young people have caused a rapid doubling of PCOD cases in the past five to eight years.
Occurrence and Symptoms:
Gynaecologists report that they get at least 15 fresh instances of PCOD cases, and a considerable number of teenagers aged 16-17 are not getting their menarche. Such patients are recommended to take a strictly balanced diet which will help them to lose weight. Initially, their mothers think that they would experience their menarche in proper time, but some girls are diagnosed with PCOD when taken to a family gynaecologist. Even worse, they could never imagine that their obesity can pave the way for such a grave health issue. PCOD can cause numerous other problems like delayed and irregular menses, rapid weight gain and tremendous difficulty in losing weight, developing acne and blocked skin pores.
Help yourself with the right diet:
There is no proven evidence regarding the cause of PCOD though gynaecologists are of the opinion that some females possess a predisposition to this disease, and it may run hereditarily in the family. You can alleviate your PCOD symptoms to a considerable extent by regulating your diet properly.
Have loads of fruits and green leafy vegetables and try to abstain from dairy products as many experts believe that dairy products are a direct cause of an increase in insulin levels, which can aggravate skin troubles along with other PCOD symptoms. Avoiding red meat and eating lean meat instead will help the condition and reduce the chances of infertility. It is always recommended to avoid hydrogenated and saturated fats, which are normally found in animal and dairy-based food. Try to put a stop to cheese, cottage cheese, clarified butter, pork, lamb, beef, etc. and certain baked products like cookies, cakes and fudges as they will trigger a rise in your blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
The following dietary tips can be helpful with the condition:
- High levels of the insulin hormone causes PCOS symptoms like high blood sugar, increased hair growth, weight gain etc. So, refined foods rich in fat and carbohydrates should be consumed in small amounts.
- Whole foods in their natural, uncooked form should be consumed fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans etc. These are low glycemic foods that reduce the glucose circulation by insulin.
- Intake of salt should be very limited. You should not consume more than 3 grams a day.
- Green vegetables have antioxidants. These are good for women with PCOS because they have a high amount of oxidative stress.
- Your daily diet should contain at least 30 grams of fiber to improve the digestion process and remove toxins.
- Milk and dairy products are best avoided because milk helps to increase the level of testosterone (male hormone) in the body.
- Soy products should also be avoided, especially if you are trying to conceive, because they interfere with the ovulation cycle.
- Processed fat is harmful but essential fatty acids found in avocado, fish, olive oil and nuts are important for the body.
- High levels of male hormones also cause high cholesterol. So foods which have high saturated fats like butter, cream, coconut oil and fatty meat should not be included in the regular diet of women with PCOS.
- Protein-rich foods like lean meat, fish, legumes, whole grains are beneficial as protein can stabilize blood sugar. These foods also keep you feeling full and prevent over-eating.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!