Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Rheumatologists in India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Rheumatologists online in parkal. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Leesa
Submit a review for Dr. LeesaYour feedback matters!
Are you aware of a disease called osteoarthritis that is more likely to develop in case you are aging? Osteoarthritis is a disease, which affects the joints of your body. It occurs when the cartilages that protect and cushion your bones break down, causing swelling and pain, and may make you immobile. The chances of developing osteoarthritis increase with age as your cartilages start breaking down. Women who are beyond menopause are at a higher risk of getting this disease as they do not produce estrogen, which is essential for bone growth. There are several precautions you should follow for the prevention of osteoarthritis, especially if you are aged. They are as follows:
- Manage your occupational risks
- Certain jobs involve repetitive motions, which cause stress on your joints.
- If your job or occupation involves a lot of lifting, twisting, kneeling, and walking, you should consult a doctor.
- It is important for you to undertake exercises of low impact, which is very crucial for improving joint health, even if you are aging.
- You should choose activities that involve strength training along with stretching and aerobic exercise.
- Regular exercise helps in the slowing down or prevention of osteoarthritis. It helps you in maintaining healthy joints, reducing fatigue and pain, increasing your bone and muscle strength, and relieves stiffness.
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Excess weight is a primary risk factor for osteoarthritis, especially if you are aged. It cxauses extra stress on your joints that boosts the deterioration of your joint cartilage.
- If you are obese and overweight, your chances of developing osteoarthritis are more. Hence, you should lose extra weight for improving the symptoms.
- Although exercise is important for keeping your joints and muscles healthy, you should avoid overdoing them.
- Have a balanced lifestyle, and when your joints become achy or swollen, give them a break.
- Abstain from using your swollen joint for at least 12 to 24 hours after experiencing them. Letting your injured joint rest helps in reducing your risk of osteoarthritis.
- Fatigue increases pain in osteoarthritis patients, and hence you must sleep properly.
- Control your blood sugar
- Diabetes is considered to be an important risk factor for osteoarthritis in aged individuals.
- High glucose levels may boost the formation of molecules that make your cartilage stiff.
- Diabetes also triggers inflammation, and promotes cartilage loss.
- It is important for you to keep your diabetes and blood sugar levels under control for preventing osteoarthritis.
In spite of no specific cure for osteoarthritis, there are several ways of preventing and managing its symptoms. It is very important for you to maintain a healthy lifestyle and a balanced diet, and also to try and keep away from becoming obese.
Coriander is full of an unusual array of healing phytonutrients and anti-oxidants. Its leaves and seeds contain some amount of various essential oils that makes this herb useful for use in traditional medicines. It is anti-septic, analgesic, aphrodisiac, helps with digestion, fungicidal and a natural stimulant.
It is a very good source of vitamins A, C, K and traces of the B vitamins. In the minerals department, it provides high amount of calcium and potassium. Both of these would have already been helpful for relieving various ailments. Then there are iron, manganese and sodium.
Cilantro has such a wide variety of goodness in the little leaves, making it a very useful herb for relieving many ailments. Include a bunch into your juice regularly for its life-giving properties.
Antibiotic properties: An antibiotic compound, dodecenal, was isolated from cilantro and tested in the laboratory. The impressive result showed that it is twice as effective as the commonly used antibiotic drug gentamicin at killing the food-borne bacteria, salmonella.
Anti-cancer: The anti-oxidant properties from cilantro include beta carotene, vitamin C and E, ferulic, caffeic acid, kaempferol, and quercetin. This broad spectrum of anti-oxidant helps to lower the risk of oxidative stress in the cells that are carcinogenic (cancer-causing).
Anti-microbial properties: Cilantro contains volatile oils that have antimicrobial properties, making it a very useful herb that can be used for fungal, bacterial or yeast infections.
Anti-inflammatory properties: Cilantro is an excellent source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids is the building block for several of the body?s most widely used families of anti-inflammatory messaging molecules and many other uses.
Blood sugar: A study that was done on mice confirmed that this herb has an anti-diabetic effect and can control blood sugar. When juiced and consumed regularly, cilantro can help stimulate the secretion of insulin, thereby lowering blood sugar.
Bone Health: Cilantro is an excellent source of calcium. Calcium is a vital nutrient that is required for formation and maintenance of strong bones.
Cholesterol lowering ability: Cilantro when juiced and consumed on a regular basis can help reduce the amount of damaged fats (lipid peroxides) in the cell membranes. Studies have shown that cilantro can lower bad cholesterol level and increase the good cholesterol level.
Eyesight: The high beta-carotene and anti-oxidants in cilantro make it one of the best herbs that helps alleviate eye problems thus improving eyesight. In addition, it also help reduce the threat posed by age; associated with vision disorders such as macular degeneration, and cataract.
Heavy metal detox: Cilantro is one of the very few herbs that is used as a heavy metal detox agent, to detoxify mercury, aluminium and lead among others. Make a small bottle of neat, concentrated cilantro juice and mix with chlorella powder. Drink an ounce of the mixture every day and feel the improvement to your brain power. Store the potion in the fridge. Read more about heavy metal poisoning here.
Immune booster: The presence of anti-oxidants, rich phytonutrients, minerals and vitamins in cilantro all work syngergistically to boost the body?s overall immunity system against infection.
Insomnia: Due to the various phytonutrients and medicinal values of cilantro, it helps rebalance the internal chemicals, providing a calming effect to the nerves that enable sleep to come easier.
Kidney stones: Cilantro has a diuretic and detoxifying effect that can help lower the risk for kidney stones.