In the earlier video, I mentioned a few things about the dramatic reconstruction that is the constriction in trauma. Now I will be discussing few procedures in aesthetic surgery. So as I said the basic are reconstructed from bringing the abnormal to the normal. Now from the normal to be a little above, the normal are rather super normal. So, as I mentioned a few or many of us are born with a minor deformity that is noticeable or unnoticeable for example nose, our ears or anything for example ear's small curvature. You might have seen many people with the different types of curvatures of the ear. These are correctable nowadays. If it is very minor definitely people do not consider or rather consider for surgery, whereas, if it is gross then definite comes under correction that is reconstruction. So the aesthetic part in the aesthetic.
Also, we take we can divide into three zones which are a face, body that is just part and the remaining body. In the face, so many Corrections can be done starting from the hair transplantation to the nosejob that is, rhinoplasty in some people are born with the small noses. We can increase them depending on our to their reasonable extent or decrease them when the noses are very large or when they are crooked definitely they're correctable as in after trauma or by birth deforms which they are crooked definitely they can correctable. So this is Rhinoplasty then comes a facelift. A facelift is as we keep ageing what happens is the tissues sag down unfolds start appearing and then the fat also deposits which used to be in the upper part then slowly migrated downwards causing lumps in these zones. In facelifts, what we do is we take the position that is we take it back and we bring your shape back to your that is atleast to 10 to 15 years back chronologically. So we try to make you look at it 10 to 15 years younger than me what you are now.
We cut the skin in this zone we enter. We lift entire face redistribute the fat tighten the muscles and finally close the skin so like this face is lift.
Then comes the chest. Some people have small breasts. We increase them by augmentation rhinoplasty by placing some implants and nowadays the latest method is implanting your own fat. Transfer the fat from your own somewhere elsewhere it is more and then place it in the area where it is less that is fat auto transfer. One of the latest and the best methods it is considered especially for minor defects for example sunken cheeks we corrected with the fat then comes the other parts. For example, liposuction, where we take out the excess fat from the belly region or tight region or the lifts that is tummy lift or tummy tucks the excess part of the tummy that is our speciality.
After delivery, females face significant sagging of the skin. Why?
When the babies were there inside the skin tries to accommodate it by sagging. It may not contract back to the same extent as it has sag so after certain time that is six months to one year after delivery if the skin does not contract we try to take out the excess skin like this we try to correct a rather improve the appearance of for various minor are rather unnoticeable deformities especially in the form of aesthetic surgery and then we try to make the patient look better and indirectly we make them feel better also. Many times we try to achieve perfection sometimes we may not be able to achieve the perfection in the first sitting. Those thing in minor correction are usually passable in the secondary corrections. For every problem there
For every problem there is solutions and we can make the patient look definitely better plastic and aesthetic surgery.read more
Hi, I am Dr YV Rao, a plastic and cosmetic surgeon. In this video, I will briefly mention about the various types of Trauma and their reconstruction.
Starting from the Fingertip injury to various severe injuries of different parts. This can be divided into 4-5 categories. We deal with the reconstruction, be it whatever it causes. The common cause is the birth defects, that is, congenital.
As I mentioned, some people are born with some defects, starting from nose, face, limbs or anywhere in the body. All these led to a problem if not corrected. These correctable deformities need to be corrected at certain stages. This is the Congenital birth defects.
Now comes the Traumatic defects. Deformities are caused due to trauma which may be accidental, may be operative, or may be a cancer surgery or any other deformation related to surgical. For example, reconstruction following a breast removal. Breast is considered as one of the feminine sign in females. If one breast is removed and another breast is there, so definitely she likes to have another breast. Now the time has gone in which people could live with one breast or apply padding on the defected one. Now, people are getting forward and when the possibility is there then why not get it done. Yes, it is possible. So the reconstruction of the breast is possible because of the plastic surgery. Likewise, in trauma, be it a fingertip injury or a major crush injury by road traffic accidentsread more
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Yv Rao
Cysts Removal Procedure
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Treatment of Gynaecomastia
Skin Laser Treatment
Skin Rash Treatment
Hair Regrowth Procedure
Breast Reduction Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Hernia Repair Surgery
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Acne / Pimples Treatment
Hair Loss Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Yv RaoYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
One of my cousin's referred to Yv Rao. He is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. I have consulted so many doctors but nobody till now was able to understand my concern properly, until i consulted Yv RaoI as i needed dermabrasion. The overall atmosphere in the drYvrao's Hair & Cosmetic Surgery Centre is very soothing. The waiting area in the drYvrao's Hair & Cosmetic Surgery Centre is very comfortable for elderly patients. I was quite depressed due to my condition, but my Yv Rao guided me to change my attitude. I
I was shocked to experience the symptoms of hair fallSo many doctors I consulted, but his treatment was the best. I am almost my normal self post the treatment and for that my Yv Rao is the reason. The overall atmosphere in the drYvrao's Hair & Cosmetic Surgery Centre is very soothing. My boss referred me this Yv Rao. My previous experiences were not so good, but Yv Rao has completely changed my opinion as he is very helpful and humble. Yv Rao has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes his reference.
Our family physician personally recommended Dr Yv Rao as I was suffering from excess hairloss. He is very courteous and behaves very aptly with elder patients. The best thing about him is that he prescribes limited no. of medicines. Initially the symptoms of hair loss were not that severe but then it became worse. I consulted a number of specialists but the way he treated me was the best
drYv Rao is very courteous and behaves very aptly with elder patients. I have consulted so many doctors but nobody till now was able to understand my concern of dandruff properly, until i consulted him. It was a bad case of dandruff. Everything was just spick and span in the drYvrao's Hair & Cosmetic Surgery Centre in hyderabad . During the treatment, he supported me a lot.
I was in so much tension due to my Dark Skin problems. drYV Rao is so pleasant to talk to and always ready to answer your doubts.The overall atmosphere in the drYvrao's Hair centre in hyderabad is very soothing. During the complete Treatment program he always supported and motivated me.
Initially i was very scared about hair transplantation. But, When I visited his clinic in Hyderabad, He has cleared all my doubts and made my mind to be free . No Doubt about his Skills and Treatments.. He is one of the Best in South India. Thank you very much for your treatment.
William Seemiller - Managing Publisher Of The Hair Transplant Network
Dr. Rao performs high quality hair transplantation and has been approved for recommendation by our large patient community. In my opinion, anyone considering surgical hair restoration in India and beyond would be wise to consider Dr. YV Rao for their next procedure.
DR YV Rao has got good experience and knowledge in Surgery and hair treatments. Provides all the necessary information that is required. Response time is quick and clear for all the Queries. Would definitely recommend him for his Services.
An expert cosmetic surgeon with experience in all cosmetic surgery procedures like Breast implants, hair transplant, face lift and liposuction.
I have noticed good and unique results after my transplantation
I noticed amazing result after my treatment . I recommend
Very good doctor. Good treatments.
A facelift is a procedure which is more commonly known as a rhytidectomy in medical terms. This is a cosmetic surgery which reshapes one-third of the lower face by eradicating excess skin from the face. Few procedures include tightening of the underlying tissues. This procedure is combined with other procedures to ensure younger looking skin. Foreheads, eyes, brows and cheeks are tweaked to achieve great results.
Purpose of a facelift:
- To get rid of the self-consciousness due to the sagging skin of the neck and the face
- To get rid of the scarves and the turtlenecks in order to hide the ageing neck
- To get rid of the ageing appearance that negatively affects relationship and career
- To get a positive vibe about the new face
Traditional facelifting procedure:
The traditional procedure-An incision is created near the ear and the same is extended up to the hairline. The incision is then stretched upward-downward and below the ear in order to remove the excess skin in the face. This procedure is also capable of tightening the deeper tissues. Once the procedure is completed, it is closed with staples and sutures. For removal of the excess fluid and the blood, sometimes a drainage tube is created behind the ear. The latter is removed after a couple of days of the procedure.
Some of the newer surgical procedures of facelifts include:
- Endoscopy: Endoscopic treatments are extensively used to perform brow lifts and facelifts. They deploy smaller incisions making sure that the tissues are less traumatised and the recovery time is faster. Facial structures get raised without the need of cutting the multi fold skin.
- Lasers: Lasers are used for performing techniques such as brow laser neck, resurfacing and jaw liposculpture . The best about this procedure is the fact that only a one inch incision is made near the chin area thus avoiding any possibility of complications. It involves the usage of local anaesthetic and ensures a faster recovery time.
- Liposuction: This procedure focuses on removing fat cells from the face. IT is generally performed in between the neck and the chin. This procedure can be performed in addition to a facelift or as a standalone procedure.
Duration and complexity: The duration of a facelift operation lasts from 2 to 5 hours depending on the complexity of the procedure. The doctor might choose to perform the procedure in and OPD with low to medium sedatives in order to make the patient calm down. For more complicated procedures, general anaesthesia is required and an overnight stay in the hospital is recommended.
Recovery: In order to relieve tenderness, doctors often prescribe medication for a week. The sutures are removed with 6-10 days after the procedure. Recovery time for a patient is no more than 1 week. There could be a little discomfort along with swelling and bruising after the procedure.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Almost everyone has scars on their body that tell tales of falls, accidents or surgeries. However, in some cases, these scars can mark a person’s appearance and affect their self-confidence. In such cases, the person may consider scar revision surgery. As the name suggests, this surgery aims to minimise a scar and make it more consistent with the surrounding skin colour and texture. Anyone can undergo scar revision treatment. Some of the factors to be kept in mind while considering such treatment are:
- Location of the scar on the body
- Functional impairment resulting from the scar
- Likelihood of functional impairment after scar revision surgery
- Quality and skin type of the affected area
- Availability of surrounding tissue
Scars can be revised surgically as well as non-surgically depending on the type of scar. Non-surgical treatment for scars includes the use of skin lightening creams. Microdermabrasion and skin resurfacing. Dermal fillers may also be injected into the skin to reduce fine lines and deep creases.
In case creams or others do not work, surgery in the form of Scar revision is required. It involves removal of scar and re-adjustments of tissues near by. The results are very satisfactory. And wherever the re-adjustments is not possible, rarely skin grafting or flaps are required. The ultimate result will be far better than the scar usually.
- Skin grafting: This is a procedure that is used to treat small but deep scars. It involves the removal of skin from one part of the body and it being placed over the affected area to hide the scar. This new tissue promotes the growth of new healthy skin cells in the injured area. Skin grafts may also be used for injuries that scar improperly or injuries that do not heal well on their own.
- Skin flap surgery: Treatment of larger scars is better suited to skin flap surgeries. This procedure involves a large transplant of skin, fat, blood vessels, nerve tissues and muscle from one part of the body to another. This is used only in extreme cases.
When it comes to scar revision, no form of treatment, if perfect and multiple treatments may be required. The main goal here is to make the patient more comfortable with his or her appearance even if the scar is not completely removed. Hence, it is very important to have a realistic expectation from the surgery in terms of both aesthetics and functionality. For this, the patient and cosmetic surgeon need to understand each other and have a common view of the desired results. Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!
A cleft palate and cleft lip are among the most common congenital birth defects. These conditions can occur individually or together and vary in severity and the side of the face affected. A cleft palate not only mars the beauty of a child, but can also lead to serious health problems associated with speech and food intake.
A cleft palate can be diagnosed in the 17th week of pregnancy with the help of an ultrasound. This condition develops when components of the upper lip and ceiling of the mouth fail to develop normally. A cleft palate can affect children of all races equally but an isolated cleft palate is more common amongst female babies than male babies.
In most cases, a cleft palate can be surgically reconstructed within the first year of a baby’s birth. This not only improves the child’s appearance, but also improves his or her ability to breath, eat, speak and hear. A cleft palate reconstruction surgery is performed under anaesthesia. To begin reconstructing the ceiling of the mouth, incisions are made on either side of the cleft. A specialised flap technique is used to reposition muscles and tissues in the palate so as to bridge the gap. This is then stitched close with removable or absorbable sutures.
Dressings or bandages may be placed over the sutures after surgery. It is essential to prevent your child from sucking his or her thumb or putting anything in the mouth that could hamper recovery. Pain medication may also be prescribed to help your child deal with the discomfort. Over the following few weeks, the swelling will subside and incisions will heal. It is also important to protect your child from sun exposure at this time to prevent the formation of jagged scars.
While a single surgery is often enough to repair a cleft palate, treatment for the same may continue into adolescence. Sometimes this can also extend into adulthood. In some cases, further plastic surgery may be required as the child grows to improve appearances and functioning of the palate. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon.
It is an unfortunate matter that many people, who choose to lose massive amounts of weight, are often bound to bear its side-effects. They are left with saggy skin, unpleasant deposits of fat, etc. They often get an unpleasant body and face great difficulty in finding the right clothes for themselves. You may also develop skin infections and general discomfort, but there is no need to worry.
Plastic surgery has a unique solution to all these problems. Body lift surgery is the best method to get rid of these problems. It is best for patients with excess skin, fat, and tissues that are visible after weight loss. This technique can be applied to the upper, mid or lower body, depending on the location of the excess fat or skin. Sometimes, a combination of these methods is done to get best results.
The method is highly customizable. If you believe that you need body lift surgery, then consult an experienced practitioner for getting effective results. But there are certain points that you must remember before undertaking this surgery. Here’s how you need to prepare yourself for the surgery:
- You should have lost between 30 and 50% of your peak weight.
- You must suffer from drooping skin or fat.
- You should have a stable weight and remember that fluctuations can interfere with the technique. It is advisable that you must wait for at least two years after reaching your weight loss goals. It helps your skin to adjust and adapt to the changes.
- Be in good health before undertaking the surgery as you will have to go through general anaesthesia.
- Keep your pregnancy plans at a bay. Don’t get pregnant after the surgery is done. It will reverse the effects.
- You must be committed to following an excellent nutrition and diet chart. You must exercise and take a balanced diet to avoid fat deposition. It is also advisable that you take protein-rich diet to accelerate your recovery process.
- Do not smoke or indulge in excessive alcoholic drinks.
- Have a realistic approach towards the results. Don’t keep yourself in the fanciful fairytale world of absolute perfectness. Although your surgeon will do his or her best, you may have scars from your incisions. There is also a possibility that your skin may begin to sag with ageing. Therefore, don’t get depressed.
- If you have lost massive weight via some surgery, you might require the permission of your specialist first before undertaking this surgery. He or she will consult with your surgeon and find the best technique for you.
- You will need to check your medical records and conduct physical tests before the surgery.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Some of the worst scars are those resulting from burns. Burn scars are not only cosmetically unappealing, they can also hinder your mobility and cause a loss of sensation. Luckily, burn scars can be revised to a great extent with cosmetic surgery.
The first step in burn reconstruction surgery is the removal of debris and dead tissue. From here, your surgeon may choose to go one of the several ways depending on the nature of the burn and area affected. Some techniques used for burn reconstruction are:
- Skin grafts: In this procedure, healthy skin is removed from one part of the body and transplanted to another. There are two types of skin grafts; split thickness and full thickness. In the former, only a few layers of the skin are transplanted while in the latter, the entire dermis is transplanted. In most cases, the healthy skin is taken from the buttocks or inner thighs. The donor site usually recovers within 3 weeks, though full thickness transplant cases may take a little longer to heal.
- Free flaps: This procedure involves the transplantation of skin, muscle and bone tissue from one part of the body to another along with the original blood supply. It also involves the use of microsurgery. Free flaps take longer to heal than skin grafts.
- Tissue expansion: This procedure encourages the body to grow extra skin to be used for reconstructive surgery. It involves the insertion of an instrument known as a balloon expander under the skin. This balloon is slowly filled with saline solution and stretches making the skin above it stretch and grow. Once enough skin has been grown, it is then harvested and used to reconstruct the damaged part. Though the procedure results in minimal scarring and the colour and texture of the skin used to reconstruction are a near match to the surrounding area it is a slow process that can take up to 4 months.
The results depend on the type and amount of deformity, which are usually satisfactory, but are not appreciated immediately. Tissues normally take time to heal, which may be from weeks to months and in some cases one surgery alone will not be able to cure problems and repeated or multiple operations may be required. One should not expect miracles in terms of surgery, as the improvement will be slow and steady and will depend on factors like how the patient is taking care of its overall health and wellness post surgery.
Wrinkles are the natural signs of ageing. While they make one look wiser, they also portray signs of tiredness, sadness and weariness. It is literally impossible to cure wrinkles. They, however, can be stopped from spreading. Eyes are the first place where wrinkles become visible. Prolonged exposure to the sun, chronic alcoholism, chain smoking are some of the other reasons of wrinkles. Apart from an array of self-help techniques, it is possible to manage wrinkles through cosmetic treatments. Here is a list of 4 such options:
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels are often used to get rid of wrinkles by resurfacing the skin. The physician applies an acidic solution that peels off the existing skin and makes way for the new skin to the surface. The old skin gets removed and become inconspicuous. The beauty of this line of treatment is the fact that they are very simple to perform and does not require an anaesthesia. In the case of deeper peels, a surgical procedure might require anaesthesia. The type of procedure is decided by the surgeon after consulting with the patient.
- Eclipse micro pen: The eclipse micro pen is a very safe and simple procedure performed by cosmologists. An aesthetician makes microscopic wound by using a special device on winkle affected areas such as the forehead and eyes. The opens are left as it is to produce more elastin and collagen. The skin heals itself, giving rise to the fresh skin, which looks much smoother and younger. This procedure ensures that the skin doesn’t get injured.
- Restylane and Juvederm fillers: Dermal fillers are considered to be a good option for treating wrinkles in the eye area. While botox relaxes the muscles and fillers affect nearby waters to fill in the void. Certain fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane have the ability to address dark circles tear troughs and wrinkles. It contains an acid gel similar to the hyaluronic acid that the human body possesses. Since this gel doesn’t fill the holes with foreign bodies they have a more natural way to treat wrinkles. Drastic improvement can be witnessed within 6-8 months of the treatment.
- Lower Blepharoplasty: Blepharoplasty is the best way to treat wrinkles under the eyes. They successfully treat puffiness and severe bags near the eye area. A lower blepharoplasty serves the purpose of removing fat muscles and sagging skin. This procedure ensures a tighter and youthful looking skin at the wrinkle area. Another advantage of this procedure is the fact that it is less evasive and the patient heals quickly. It should be ensured that the patient has a prior consultation with the doctor before going ahead with this surgery. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon.
We can all agree that a slim, trim body has a lot of advantages. While some take the tough route with exercising and diet, there are some who are forced to take drastic measures, such as liposuction.
As a surgery, liposuction has really come into the mainstream as a way to improve the quality of life of a person. This is so true as the impact it has on a person can truly be life changing. That being said, there are some things which are to be known about liposuction surgery.
It is to be kept in mind that liposuction surgery does not happen to be a weight loss procedure. As a matter of fact, it is basically reshaping the body. The reason why it is often associated with weight loss is the fact that the metabolism of a person is boosted up as a result of undergoing liposuction surgery.
Another thing which is useful for a person to keep in mind is that after undergoing liposuction surgery, he or she would be in a position of having a reasonably good body tone. That being said, it is up to him or her to exercise and eat healthy so as to make sure that there is no need for going for the surgery again. One good thing regarding this is that a person would not need the motivation to look fit. As thing will already be the case after liposuction surgery, he or she would just need to maintain and be responsible for the lifestyle which is being led by him or her.
Taking into due account the fact that it is a surgery, many people would normally expect to see results almost immediately. However, this is not the case. As a matter of fact, it takes between 3 to 6 months for the results to really show due to metabolic changes and a reduction in swelling post surgery.
Our elders have always advised us that beauty is a lot more than just skin deep. Barring the moral value associated to this, there is still no reason not to keep one’s skin from looking as good as it possibly can.
In order to have clear skin, one of the methods gaining popularity happens to be that of using chemical peels. While the concept may not seem to be too familiar to some people, it can be said that the results of this method make the time spent getting to know about it well worth it!
Prior to working with the chemicals, the skin [face, hands or neck] will be cleaned in a very thorough way. After this is done, a chemical solution is applied to the skin. The effect this solution has on the skin is that of very mildly burning it. This is done so as to make sure that the old skin can make way for new skin. It is seen that the new skin is much smoother, free from wrinkles, acne and other skin issues than the skin that it replaced. It is true that the blisters are frustrating, but the results are worth it.
While a person may be concerned about the intensity of the burning feeling, he or she really need not be. This is due to the fact that it is a very controlled burn and the professional is around to make sure that it is only a manageable pain that is felt.
Post the burning sensation, there would be a stinging sensation which can be reduced by making good use of an ice pack by the way of a cold compress. In the aftermath of a chemical peel, a person would need to take certain precaution to make sure that all goes according to plan.
Things to Remember
- The first thing which is to be kept in mind is the fact that exposing oneself to the sun post a chemical peel is not a good idea, by any measure.
- In addition to this, it does make quite some sense to make use of bandages after the procedure for some days so that the sensitivity of the skin in reduced.
A chemical peel has some amazing results and can really go a long way in making a person’s skin look young and vibrant! If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon.
Are you not happy with how your nose looks? No! Well there’s nothing to be upset about it. Nature may have done injustice to you. But man made adjustments are there to help you. Thanks to Rhinoplasty or plastic surgery on the nose that can boost your beauty. It is the most common cosmetic surgeries performed across the world. While most persons do this for reconstruction, others undergo this surgery for aesthetic purposes.
Even though, it is a common method, popular among the mases there are several myths surrounding this concept. Some of the most common myths regarding this method are as follows:
- Plastic Surgery gives plastic results: Many people may derive a wrong and misleading meaning of the word ‘plastic.’ The word comes from a Greek term, meaning ‘to mould’ or ‘to form.’ The surgery, therefore, gives you natural-looking results. A good surgeon will shape things closer to real appearance.
- Surgery is the only option: Surgery is not the only way to reshape your nose. It can be corrected using dermal fillers such as Radiesse or Juvederm. Fillers can camouflage the dorsal hump. It can add volume and give you a smooth line profile. But these injections have a temporary effect.
- Patients need general anesthesia always: Some patients may have to be under general anaesthesia during rhinoplasty. But it is not mandatory for everyone. Sedation is used for the minor changes. The patient will not be completely unconscious. But, they will not feel pain in the part, which is being reshaped.
- It cannot be performed outside a hospital: It can be performed at special clinics. You need not be always admitted to a hospital. Sedation may be used for keeping you away from the pain.
- There will be scars: Incisions made on the base of the nose or anywhere outside will go away with time. They will not be visible from a conversational distance.
- You can outgrow your dislike for the nose: It’s a matter of perception. Your perception towards your nose might not change even after the waxing and waning. You may be always unhappy about its shape or look.
- Any plastic surgeon can do this: It is a very complex operation. A millimetre can change things altogether. A slight deviation may make a huge difference. It can only be performed by someone who is a specialist in this subject and has considerable experience in these surgeries. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon.
It is a condition that causes discoloration and discolored patches to appear on the skin. The color of one’s skin is determined by the production of melanin in the body, and hyperpigmentation is caused by a disproportionate production of melanin. People of any race or skin color can be affected by this condition. The most common pigmentation problems are brown sun spots, melasma, age spots, and pigmented birthmarks. Pigmentation issues very depending on the natural colour of the skin. Treatments include fade creams, IPL, Elos Aurora, laser treatments like Fraxel Dual and in some cases biopsy or skin excision is required to exclude skin cancer such as melanoma.
Three skin irregularities caused by this condition are; Post Inflammatory hyperpigmentation, Lentigines (or sun spots) and Melasma.
- Treatment of brown sun spots: Many people have mottled brown spots, freckles and patches on their skin due to excess pigmentation. These are easily treated with medical grade Elos IPL or Fraxel Dual laser. There is a range of different causes of pigmentation. Treatments differ depending on what type of pigmentation is affecting your skin. The brown pigmentation is called melanin and is made by special cells in the skin called melanocytes. The main categories of pigmentation problem are freckles, age spots, (also called liver spots or sun spots) melasma and postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Melasma: Women with a genetic predisposition to this condition or those with darker skin complexions and those who have a higher exposure to ultraviolet rays are most commonly affected by melasma. It is a condition that affects the areas of the skin that are most exposed to the sun. It involves female hormones and so women who are pregnant are generally affected by melasma. Melasma is blotchy areas of brown skin pigmentation on the face. Melasma, (also known as chloasma), appears as blotchy pale brownish pigmentation on the face, especially forehead, cheek and upper lip. It is more common on darker skin types. It is especially common in women aged 20-40 and is associated with pregnancy or taking the contraceptive pill or injection. It also happens in healthy, non-pregnant woman taking no medications and men using aftershave. Sun exposure following some cosmetics can cause a phototoxic reaction where the chemical substance absorbs UV light. The resulting pigmentation extends where sun and cosmetic use have coincided, for example down the neck, often more on the right side in countries that drive on the left. Melasma is more stubborn and unpredictable to treat than freckles or age spots because the melanocytes have become sensitized and continue to produce extra pigment with even the slightest hint of sun. Sun protection is an essential part of treatment. Melasma can be treated with Active FX Laser Resurfacing. It destroys up to 80% of melanin, efficiently, which is ideal for cases of melasma that cause excessive pigmentation of skin.
- Lentigines: Minute brown spots that appear on your face and body, which is the collective result of continuous exposure to the sun, photodamage or chronic sun damage, are called lentigines. The spots usually have a visibly distinct border and appear on areas most exposed to the sun such as the face and hands.
How is one affected by post inflammatory pigmentation?
If there is an excessive production of melanin in the body, it could then overflow to the surface of the skin; this is caused by an inflammation. Post inflammatory pigmentation is the formation of brown patches on the skin that are the result of infection, injury or other conditions. Patients who already have a skin problem are more likely to be affected by this condition.
Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) occurs after injury to the skin from whatever cause and is far more prevalent in darker skin. PIH appears as a dark brown area over the area of the previous injury and is due to excess melanin being produced by melanocytes as a result of the inflammation. Typically PIH resolves over several months but can persist for 1-2 years and in some cases can be everlasting. Treatment is generally patience as it will resolve and treatments risk further inflammation and therefore further PIH. However hydroquinone can be useful in some patients and others benefit from mild treatments of Elos Aurora, IPL or Fraxel Dual laser.
Treatment of freckles
Freckles are small flat brown marks on sun exposed areas. The medical term is ‘ephilide’ and they are an accumulation of melanin in the surface skin cells (keratinocytes). The tendency to form freckles is inherited and is often seen in red heads and younger people. Freckles usually fade in winter and reappear in summer. They need no treatment except sun protection. They can also be faded by Elos IPL, but will reappear with sun exposure. No treatment can transform a skin which freckles, into one which tans evenly. Of course, further sun exposure can bring the freckles out again so it is very important to apply a good sunscreen following treatment to maximise results.
How does laser treatment help to remedy hyperpigmentation?
- Clear and Brilliant, Fraxel and Photofacial are three types of laser treatment that have been known to resolve hyperpigmentation.
- Short bursts of energy and heat are produced by the laser and aimed at the cells that have a concentration of melanin. The excess melanin from these cells is then broken down and destroyed with the help of the laser.
- Each case of hyperpigmentation varies, and their treatment varies on the extent of the condition as well. The treatment will be administered over a course of sessions.
Though these treatments are effective, one must always stay protected from damage due to overexposure to the sun, by wearing the sunscreen with the correct SPF and other sun gear. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a cosmetic-plastic surgeon.