Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Endocrinologists in India. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Endocrinologists online in Visakhapatnam and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Pre And Post Delivery Care
Sperm Donor Program
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. K HymakarYour feedback matters!
I am 41 years old I have sugar problem from last 10 years. I am taking tablet Glycomet trio 2/.3 for three times in a day. But still my sugar level is high. Fasting 170 and after food 220. Can you suggest any other medicine or combination.
Hi, doctor I am 68 i am diabetic since 14 years height 63 inch weight 75kg active I feel mild knee pain while walking do I need some medicine or excercise I walk 3/4 km every day please help.
If you?re one of the 26 million Americans living with diabetes, then you?re probably familiar with diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN), which is nerve damage that?s caused by chronic high blood sugar. DPN tends to be the most common complication of diabetes. Some of its symptoms include a tingling or burning sensation, difficulty walking, and numbness, especially in your feet and toes. If left untreated, DPN can eventually lead to amputation.
While DPN seems to be a growing problem within the African-American community, here are four ways to keep your DPN under control.
1. Don?t smoke.
Ever notice how ?don?t smoke? is always somewhere on these types of lists? Well, there?s a good reason for it. When you smoke, your arteries narrow and harden, reducing the amount of blood flow to your legs and feet, which makes it more difficult for wounds to heal.
2. Keep your blood sugar levels in check.
If you?re a diabetic, then you already know how important it is to monitor your blood sugar levels. When you have DPN, inconsistent blood sugar levels put you at risk for nerve damage, which can ultimately lead to amputation.
3. Take good care of your feet.
When you have DPN, it?s a definite must that you thoroughly wash and dry your feet on a daily basis. Also, always make sure that your shoes are well-fitted and that your socks are clean and dry. Be sure to trim your toenails straight across ? or have them trimmed by a professional. Lastly, stay away from any antiseptic products and sharp tools, including nail files, as they may cause injury and further damage
4. Communicate with your doctor.
Inspect your feet regularly. If you notice anything unusual, such as a foot injury that?s taking longer to heal than normal, inform your doctor right away! ASK PRIVATLEY
I am 59 years old and recently when I tested my blood sugar on fasting was 126and after break fast it was 238. What should I do? please advise.
My wife is having several health problems reccently treated at kem for acute fluid breathless recommended cipap/bipap machine because oxygen level is below the normal. She is diabetic, heart weaken and swallen liver/admomen. Financelly not sound hence arranged bedisde medical oxygen cylinders suggest good remedies ?
My grand father is suffering from diabetes 140-150 on fasting and he had a minor heart attack few months ago . What diet we should follow ?
I am 29 years old. I am taking medicine for bipolar disorder for 18 months. operate chrono 300 mg, dipwell 10 mg. I am 92 kg unable to loose weight. Kindly tell me way and how can I stop medicine. I have thyroid also taking eltroxin 50th mg.
I am 50 years old. I am having discomfort in both my calf muscles off and on especially in the evening. I feel better in raised lower limb position during lying down. My blood pressure is normal. My blood sugar is within normal limits. Lipid profile too is within normal limits. I take meals 4 times a day but the time is irregular. Please tell me the causes of discomfort in calf muscle.
Iam a diabetic. Before breakfast blood sugar is 125 and post prandial it is 150. I am on medication. I have lost 4 kgs in the last four months. I walk a lot, daily. Is my weight loss a matter of concern?
I am a student. My parents started to control my sugar consumption as I eat cake, wafers, ice creams. I don't consume sugar any other way like coffee or milk. Is this will cause diabetics? How much should I consume my items?
I am diabetic for last 15 years. On galvusmet50/500 twice with amaryl2 once daily. For pressure olmax20 that gives my pressure at 166/66 .thyroxine 82. And other vitamins like becadexamine, dexorange,gemitrol, and cariprill as I have low rbc, wbc,and platelet count diagnosed as possible mds. Is it safe to take cardace2. 5.as previously I had taken then it was changed by doc. To nebicard and also given olmetAM40. Pressure was 140/60.55.
My age: 26 years, height 5'3. Suffering with HYPOTHYROIDISM. Please suggest a treatment for permanent cure.?
Thyroid is an important endocrine gland which is located in the neck. It produces triiodothyronine and thyroxine hormones which are known as t3 and t4 respectively. Iodine is necessary for the production of these hormones. These hormones are necessary for the proper working of our body. They increase the cholesterol, fat, protein and carbohydrate metabolism. Common problems of the thyroid gland are over activity or hyperthyroidism and under activity or hypothyroidism. The important causes of thyroid disorders are graves’ disease and hashimoto’s disease. Enlargement of the thyroid gland is known as goiter.
Foods for hyperthyroidism
When the thyroid gland starts producing excessive hormones, it is known as hyperthyroidism. This has various symptoms like increased heart rate, sudden weight loss, irregular heartbeat, anxiety, bulging eyes, sensitivity to heat and sweating, goiter etc. Hyperthyroidism can be controlled by using certain particular foods.
1. Foods belonging to brassica family
Consume foods like cauliflower, brussels sprouts, peanuts, cabbage, broccoli, kale, mustard greens, turnips, rutabagas, soybeans, spinach etc which contains goitrogens.
• goitrogens helps to block the ability of thyroid to use iodine and hence slows down the activity of the thyroid.
• eat raw cruciferous vegetables to get maximum benefit as goitrogens are active in the raw state.
2. Include more berries
Add at least one serving of berries in your diet plan to control hyperthyroidism.
• blueberries, raspberries, strawberries contain anti-oxidants which improves your immune system.
3. Omega -3- fatty acid and proteins
Omega -3- fatty acid helps to control the hyper stimulated thyroid gland. Proteins are necessary for the building of muscles and to provide energy for the body. Protein sources also contain l-glutamine which helps in rebuilding the gut and de-inflaming the body.
• eat cold water fish, flaxseed oil and nuts to get the omega-3-fatty acid necessary for the body.
• include soy, turkey, walnuts, salmon, tuna and trout in your hyperthyroidism diet.
4. Dairy products
Hyperactivity of the thyroid gland can remove the calcium from your blood. The body compensates this loss by leaching calcium from the bones. This can cause osteoporosis.
• include three servings of yoghurt, cheese, milk or cottage cheese in your daily diet.
5. Spinach and collard greens
If you are allergic to dairy products, you can get your daily supply of calcium from vegetable sources like spinach collard greens etc.
• figs, prunes and sesame seeds are also excellent hyperthyroidism foods.
This is another vital component of hyperthyroidism diet. The hyperactive thyroid gland can deplete the zinc.
• include almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts which are rich in zinc in your diet.
7. Fiber rich foods and anti inflammatory foods
Fiber rich foods are beneficial for the proper working of the thyroid gland. Anti inflammatory herbs help to reduce the inflammation of the thyroid which is the reason for hyperthyroidism.
• include whole grain foods, like oatmeal, whole grain breads, brown rice etc in your food.
• the anti inflammatory herbs to be included in your diet are turmeric, ginger, rosemary, cinnamon and oregano.
8. Antioxidant rich foods and vitamin d
It is also necessary to consume antioxidants and vitamin d rich foods in the diet. This will reduce the oxidative stress caused by hyperthyroidism. Vitamin d can reduce the inflammation and auto- immune reactions of the body.
• avocados, olive oil broccoli etc contain antioxidants.
• salmon is a good source of vitamin d. You can get your daily dose of vitamin d from eggs, mushrooms etc.
• spend 20- 30 minutes in the sun to get the necessary vitamin d for the body.
9. Cassava, sorghum, and millet
These food items contain cyanogenic glucosides which blocks the iodine availability of the gland.
• these foods increase the immune function and gives protection from osteoporosis
10. Vitamin c and vitamin e
These vitamins are helpful in reducing the oxidative stress caused by the hyperactivity of thyroid glands.
• all the citrus fruits are rich in vitamin c.
• bell peppers, olive oil, wheat etc are a good source of vitamin e.
Foods for hypothyroidism
Underactive thyroid gland releases too little hormones. This condition is known as hypothyroidism. The symptoms include unusual weight gain, feeling cold even on warm days, lethargy and fatigue, puffiness of the face, constipation, depression constipation, dry skin, goiter etc. This is a lifelong condition however the impact of hypothyroidism can be controlled using appropriate diet. Changing the diet and lifestyle prevents the flares of symptoms which could disrupt your daily activities.
1. Iodine rich foods
Make sure that you consume a diet that is rich in iodine. Some of the most common foods that you can think about that is rich in iodine are:
• seaweeds and sea foods
• salt water fish
• nori rolls
Be certain to use iodized salt while preparing food as it is found to be very effective for hypothyroidism.
One of the most commonly found fruits are bananas. Try to include bananas in your daily diet as it is a good food for hypothyroidism.
• take at least two to three bananas a day. Make sure that you eat ripe bananas.
• you can also at times consume a banana milkshake that is prepared with low fat or skimmed milk.
One of the best known remedies to treat all kinds of disorders as well as hypothyroidism is pure drinking water.
• make sure that you drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water a day.
• water will help to flush out all toxins in your body.
• it will also prevent you from getting dehydrated so that your body does not store more fat and hence you do not gain excess weight.
4. Eating more fruits and vegetables
Try to include more fruits and vegetables in your diet. This will help you to stay healthy and is highly recommended to prevent hypothyroidism.
• it would be better for you to choose a complete veg. Meal plan full of greens and vegetables one or two days in a week.
• you also need to follow a strict fruit plan diet for a day in a week to fight hypothyroidism.
5. Selenium rich foods
Going for foods that are rich in selenium will help in fighting hypothyroidism.
• make sure to make onions and dairy products as part of your daily diet.
• you also need to occasionally include chicken, salmon, tuna and meat in your daily diet. Try to use one product a day.
• it is important for you to use a lot of garlic in your food preparation.
• brazil nuts as well as whole unrefined grains also help in fighting hypothyroidism and you need to take them at least once a week.
6. High fiber diet
It is important for you to take a high fiber diet so that you do not gain weight that easily and this will help to prevent hypothyroidism.
• add beans, oatmeal and whole wheat to your daily diet to improve your bowel movement and to reduce the cholesterol levels in your body.
• make sure that you only consume brown rice and not white rice in any form when you suffer from hypothyroidism.
7. Green tea
One of the best foods known to treat hypothyroidism is green tea. It has antioxidants and will help in reducing body weight.
• it is ideal for you to include green tea in your daily diet and try to skip other drinks like coffee and black tea.
• it would be ideal for you to consume thee to four cups of hot green tea to increase body metabolism and to burn fat.
8. Tyrosine rich foods
One of the best methods to increase the production of thyroid hormones in your body is to consume foods that are rich in tyrosine.
• lean meat
• soy products
9. Coconut oil
Take coconut oil cooked food will help in improving the production of thyroid hormone and will help in preventing hypothyroidism.
• add a tablespoon of coconut oil in your diet every day.
• it helps in increasing metabolism and is also an emery booster.
• make sure that you consume it in moderation depending on your age and lifestyle and structure of your body.
10. Vitamin a, zinc and copper foods
It is ideal for you to consume vitamin a, zinc and copper rich foods in order to increase the production of thyroid hormones in your body.
Vitamin a rich foods
• yellow vegetables
• dark vegetables
Zinc and copper foods
• lean beef
• dried beans
• seeds and nuts
• organ meats that are range free.