Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Vijayawada and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
New research on urinary and sexual outcomes could eventually help prostate cancer patients decide on their course of treatment.
“The ultimate goal is to develop a predictive tool that lets patients decide which treatment is right for them based on the symptoms they have beforehand, and their tolerance for any change – even temporary – in those symptoms,” said researcher Matthew Johnson, MD in a press release. Dr. Johnson is a resident physician in the Department of Radiation Oncology at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
Dr. Johnson and his colleagues presented their study findings in September at the American Society for Radiation Oncology’s 56th Annual Meeting.
Their data came from two study groups of men with prostate cancer who received one of four treatments: intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), low dose rate brachytherapy (LDR), post-prostatectomy IMRT (PPRT), or radical prostatectomy (RP).
Using questionnaires, the researchers assessed the men’s symptoms at baseline and after treatment.
One group of 3,515 men completed the American Urological Association Symptom Score, designed to evaluate urinary symptoms. Over 14,500 surveys were completed. Lower scores on this tool indicate better urinary function. This group was followed for a median of 28 months.
For patients who received IMRT, follow-up scores were slightly lower than baseline. PPRT patients had similar results. LDR patients tended to see an initial score increase when compared to IMRT patients, but fell back to comparable levels after 34 months. Men who underwent RP had lower scores at baseline and after treatment.
The Sexual Health Inventory for Men (SHIM) questionnaire was used to evaluate sexual symptoms in a group of 857 men who completed more than 2,600 surveys. Higher SHIM scores are associated with better sexual function. The median follow-up time was 18 months.
The scores of men who were treated with LDR and PPRT were not much different from those treated with IMRT. However, men who had had RP had the largest score decreases between baseline and follow-up.
These results could help clinicians counsel patients with prostate cancer, the authors noted. In this way, patients could have a better idea of what to expect in terms of urinary and sexual symptoms.
American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
Johnson, M.E., et al.
“A Comparison of Urinary and Sexual Function Patient Reported Outcomes (PROs) Among Treatment Modalities for Prostate Cancer (PCa)”
(Abstract presented at ASTRO’s 56th Annual Meeting. September 16, 2014. Presentation #180)
Fox Chase Cancer Center
“Fox Chase Study Helps Identify When and How Much Various Prostate Cancer Treatments will Impact Urinary and Sexual Functioning”
(News release. September 16, 2014)
- See more at: http://www.issm.info/news/sex-health-headlines/prostate-cancer-treatments-and-urinary-sexual-functioning#sthash.Tym9DcEt.dpuf
Bladder cancer is the result of the growth of cancerous cells inside the bladder. Bladder cancer is mainly of four types:
- Urothelial carcinoma: In this type of bladder cancer, the tumours may be limited to the bladder or spread from the urothelial to the deeper layers in the bladder. The urothelial is the epithelium lining in the renal pelvis, ureters, urethra and bladder.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: Squamous cells are flat, thin cells that form after a prolonged infection in the bladder. The cancer starts from these cells.
- Adenocarcinoma: Glandular cells in the bladder produce and discharge mucus. This type of cancer begins from the glandular cells.
- Superficial bladder cancer: If the cancer is limited to the bladder lining, then it is known as superficial bladder cancer. The cancer might spread to the bladder muscle wall, or spread to the lymph nodes and organs close to it.
It is important note that, if bladder cancer is detected early, then it can be cured most of the times.
Who is at a risk of acquiring bladder cancer?
Those who smoke or have a history of bladder cancer in the family or are exposed for to industrial chemicals for long durations are at an increased risk of bladder cancer.
The symptoms of bladder cancer include:
- Blood in urine
- More frequent passing of urine
- There is a sensation of pain or burning when urinating
- Bladder is not emptied completely
- Pain in the lower back
Bladder cancer treatment by conventional medication can be complemented by Ayurveda; especially, with the Panchakarma therapy, which detoxifies the body. Detoxification can be done by:
- Snehana therapy that is oil massage
- Swedana that is steaming therapy
- Vamana that is by urging vomiting
- Virechana that is by purging
- Basti is the enema medication
- Nasya or through nasal medication
- Raktamokshana Therapy
Along with the above mentioned therapies, consuming medicated juices, which contain fruits and vegetables is good for the body. Antioxidant Ayurvedic medicines are also highly beneficial. Practicing yoga, sound therapy, pranayama, acupressure and acupuncture can help in the long run.
Sometimes, traditional cancer medication can rob the body of its strength once the symptoms are cured. Rasayan Chikitsa can help the body regain its strength. Rasayan Chikitsa improves the metabolism, memory, longevity, hair and complexion. It brings back the vigour that was lost. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized ayurveda and ask a free question.
I am 27 years old guy. I've a lump in right hand near biceps. Its neither different in colour nor paining. But i'm in concern regarding that. So what should I want to do. Is there any ointments available for dissolving that.
Suffering with difficulty with urinating fully, was diagnosed with chronic prostatitis, doctor prescribe me silodosin 4 mg tablet for lifetime. Ultrasound scan shows prostate 19gms, in this size prostate can block urine? Is size is normal or not? Thanks.
My wife age is 21 years and she is going to 5 months of her pregnancy. We got marriage in 30 May 2015.she told that there is some swelling on her left breast and one lumps is there, and some redness there. When she touch it, she feel little pain. Is there any problem. Please suggest doctor.
Cancer is the one of the biggest threat to the young Indian population because of the factors that cause cancer, but also due to late detection. However, certain bad habbits and the factors increase the risk of cancer in India.
Causes of cancer in India:
- Overpopulation and the problem of nutrition: As per records, India is the world's third most populous country. However, it lacks in resources to feed the multiplying number of mouths. Nutrition plays a key role in deciding the quality of a person's life. Nutrition has therefore emerged as an essential branch of research and medical care in the last few decades. Lack of nutrition directly results in weakened immunity. Your body becomes prone to diseases, some of which can be fatal. To fight off cancer cells, one must have a strong immune system that comes from the right kind of nutrition.
- Smoking is a recurrent habit among children and adults: Smoking can cause cancer. Every cigarette packet reads the same warning messages but it doesn't actually deter smokers in any way. Smoking is prevalent among people of all age groups in India. From poor children to conscious educated adults, all are seen smoking.
- A Tropical country and its woes: Tropical countries are known to face the wrath of the sun. While most places in central, western, partly eastern and southern India experience extremes of temperature in summer, other places with moderately hot summers are not exempted from the harmful UV rays. Ultraviolet rays can be very harmful for one's skin, as it can cause skin cancer. Indians have a high amount of melanin, which protects them against sun rays, but the threat exists nonetheless.
- The concept of fast food: A global economy has opened avenues awaiting your attention in the realm of food. To suit the tones and moods of a fast life, fast food has been made available to you. We take pride in consuming things that can be prepared in an instant: instant noodles, soups and even curries. Packaged food and junk food are sources of cancer cells.
- Lack of awareness regarding the most common types of cancer: Breast and cervical cancer are the two most common types of cancer eating away the health of Indians. The problem lies in being unaware about the root causes, symptoms and treatment procedures related to these kinds of cancer. Social repression turns health concerns into matters of insignificance. Women fear social alienation after coming in the open with their problems.
I have been smoking since 4 years now and I am trying to quit but am unable to do so. Please guide me regarding the same and also I wanted to know where can I get a cancer test done with is not expensive. I live in Mumbai.
I feel urge for urinating just after passing urine. And again few drops comes. It happens 3-4 times even after passing full urine. I feel that bladder is not completely empty. Its irritating to go to loo again n again. Specially in night. I drink a lot of water during day n night. Please suggest some home remedies n medicines. I went for sonography. Prostate is little enlarged but not significant. urologist told its not so serious and did not prescribed any medicine. Thanks.
Sir/mam I am 21 year old I am suffering from lymphoma stage 2 where I take my chemotherapy for better result.
I am 66 years old at times i find it difficult control my bladder and small amount of urine passes out is it a sign of prostrate gland enlargement
If there is breast cancer lump you have in your breast can this affects your all body if it's not increased in size?
I had a tumour in right breast which was Benign I got it operated 6-7 years back. Then again after 3 years of operation I again got the similar thing in my left breast. I got it checked it was Benign as well. I recently have been diagnosed with pcod. Initially the time didn't pain except before periods but lately it has been since 2-3 weeks n the breast size has also increased. Even walking briskly or bending leads to pain. Do I need to chk with the medicine given by my gynecologists or is it an indication of something else?
How can secure the very dangerous cancer. I want to know about safety of skin cancer. please tell me.
My aunt is diagnosed to have abdominal cancer, she have got her abscess removed after surgery. What kind of care is required after or during the chemotherapy session.
There are more than 100 types of cancer occurring in different parts of body--out of them 10 to 12 types of cancers r commonly seen.---common symptoms r.
In children recurrent fevers and weight loss may b due to blood cancer//leukemia's.
In children kidney tumours r also common.
In females.abnormal swelling//lumps in breast can b breast cancer.
Foul smelling vaginal discharge--cancer cervix.
Abnormal/heavy bleeding//post menopausal bleeding may b sign of cancer Uterus.//cancer of ovaries.
In males.swelling of testicles is terratoma cancer.
Swelling or enlargement of prostate.
Other cancer in both sexes.include.
Recurrent ulcer in mouth--tongue-cheek=cancer of oral cavity specially in tobacco eaters//smokers.
Swelling /lump any where in body.like thyroid cancer.///swelling of lyphnodes ie lymphomas.
Skin cancer can develop from common mole//warts.
Change of voice[hoarseness].pronged cough//cigarette smokers=lung cancer.
Change in urine/bowel habits like constipation alternating with diarrhea. Can b large bowel/bladder cancer.
Difficulty in eating//swallowing or vomiting upper abdomen pain specially in middle age=stomach cancer.
Unexplained weight loss--leukemia.