Find numerous Urologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Urologists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Urologists online in Vadodara. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment of UTI
Treatment of Bladder Stones
Treatment of Enlarged Prostate
Treatment of H.I.V
Treatment of Urine Stone
Hydrocele Treatment (Surgical)
Treatment of Urinary Tract Problems
Treatment of Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy
Treatment of Blood in Semen
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Urology Minimally Invasive Surgery
Kidney Transplant Treatment
Treatment of Impotence
Treatment of Bladder Cancer
Submit a review for Dr. Sanjiv C ShahYour feedback matters!
Hi, My father (Age-67) has gone through kidney stone operation (left sided pyelolithotomy) on 4th January, 2016.
Our kidneys act as filters which constantly flushes out toxins and excess minerals with water in form of urine. Urine contains lots of minerals which may precipitate and form stones. Urine has lots of pro-precipitating agents and anti-precipitating agents. When their balance disturbs due to some disease, stones start forming. These stones may often lead to abdominal pain which is referred to as renal colic.
What exactly is renal colic?
Renal or ureteric colic is the term used for typical pain in one side of abdomen in flank region starting from back and radiating forward towards lower abdomen up to scrotum. This is usually associated with nausea, vomiting and urinary discomfort. There may be blood in urine.
How kidney stones are related to renal colic?
Kidney stones usually form inside kidney and lies there without causing any pain. But whenever they are dislodged and stuck at mouth of kidney (pelvis) or anywhere in ureter, they block the passage of urine of that kidney. This causes swelling in kidney termed as hydronephrosis. This swelling in kidney causes renal / ureteric colic. This colic is protective phenomenon and tries to push out the stones. Small stones do come out in urine by this natural process. This spontaneous expulsion of small stones is common and many local practitioners used to get credit of it feigning benefit of their medicine. However large stones need some form of intervention to come out. Otherwise, they do harm to kidneys in long term.
Symptoms of kidney stones along with renal /ureteric colic -
- Most stones which are lying in calyces of kidney are asymptomatic
- Nausea & vomiting
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- Fever with chills
- Foul smelling urine
- Hesitency, frequency and burning in urination
- Blood in urine (urine with a reddish, pink or brownish hue)
- Passage of small stones in urine
Treatment of renal colic
Treatment of ureteric/renal stones involves control of symptoms and stone removal.
- Expectant Treatment or Medical Expulsion Therapy: Small stones of less than 4 mm size usually pass on its own and some medicines like alpha-blockers and steroid hasten up their expulsion. Medium size stone (4-6 mm), sometimes passes with aid of these medications. But stones larger than 6 mm usually require intervention.
- Lithotripsy: This method involves breaking of stones by shock waves into small dusty particles which pass through urine on its own. This is usually suitable for stones upto 1.5 cm and lying in kidneys. This is non-operative treatment which can be done on OPD or Daycare basis.
- Ureteroscopy (URS): This method involves entry of very thin semirigid scope through urethra into ureter. Stone is broken by LASER and removed. This involves single day admission and spinal anaesthesia.
- RIRS- Retrograde Intra Renal Surgery: In this method very thin flexible scope in maneuvered through urethra into the upper ureter and pelvi-calyceal system of kidney. Stones in kidney or upper ureter are broken by LASER and removed. This is also done under anaesthesia and requires a day admission.
- Mini- PCNL: This method is suitable for large renal stones. In this technique, a small hole is made into the kidney through back and tiny scope is entered into the kidney. Stones are broken by LASER and removed. This is done under anaesthesia and require two to three days admission. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Urologist.
My wife is a patient of chronic Renal failure for 8 yrs. She is on dialysis 2 to 3 times a week. She is just 35. Lately she has lost weight noticeably .Her dry weight is around 42 kg which used to be no less than 48 earlier. How can we help her gain weight.
Sir. Now i am a 22 years old, but still I used to pass urine in the bad sometimes, so please tell me something, how to control it or how to get cure from this disease..
Dear sir, I have litil pain in kidney & liver, when I go at toilet, little more pain that time what I should do. Please suggest.
I am a female of age 17 I always find a some white sticky substance in my lower inner wear. M I pregnant? But I Dnt think so because I am having my periods regularly. And also there is a very bad smell of my urine. Please help me with medicine and also say me the reason of it.
Steps for maintaining a healthy kidney
Kidney performs the central role in a human body. It is as important as heart or lungs. Many organs of the body are dependent on kidney to function healthily. Kidney removes toxic waste and excessive fluid from blood.
Primary risk for kidney disease includes factors like high diabetes, high blood pressure, family history, heart disease etc. Obesity; autoimmune diseases; urinary tract infections and systemic infections are the secondary risks.
Kidney damage occurs in stages and in most of the cases, body does not show any kind of symptom till kidney is damaged up to 90%.
Steps for maintaining a healthy kidney
1. Keep a control on the blood pressure and take every preventive measures against its increased level.
2. For people suffering from diabetes, have a control on your glucose level.
3. Keep the cholesterol level in the appropriate range.
4. If on medications, take the prescriptions on time.
5. If you have a high salt intake, cut-off the intake and aim for less than 1, 500 milligram sodium per day.
6. Maintain a healthy fluid intake
7. Eat healthily and keep your weight in check.
8. Have a limit on your alcohol intake
9. Exercise should be a compulsory part of daily routine
10. For those who are overweight; need to work on reducing the weight
11. Smokers need to quit it slowly and gradually as smoking would led to serious kidney damages
12. Do not take over-the-counter pills on a regular basis.
13. Check your kidney function if you have one or more of the ‘high risk’ factors consult your doctor.
My rectum is burning while passing stool, nd it is burning and itching whole day long I feel very in confident. To which department of doctor should I consult this issue?
Those two, small bean-shaped organs are indeed essential for a perfectly healthy life. To check if a person is dead or living, medical practitioners need to confirm response from three organs of the human body heart, brain and kidneys. Kidneys absorb impurities from the blood, thus, purifying it and lead to the production of urine. Urine is necessary to rid your system of body wastes. Kidneys play a key role in maintaining hormone balance. The presence of any factor that could impede free functioning of this organ should be diagnosed, treated and eliminated at the earliest possible. Kidney diseases and subsequent kidney failure see no age bar. It affects both young and old people. In case of younger folks, the symptoms take years to surface and thus the chances of a fatal outcome are even higher.
Causes of kidney failure at a tender age:
- Chain smoking is a trigger: Smokers suffer from a higher risk of kidney failure. Smoking is a bad habit that has engulfed almost ninety percent of young adults. Irrespective of awareness programs and warning messages, there are millions who smoke nonchalantly. Smoking is known to impair kidney function which again can have frightening implications.
- High blood pressure levels must be controlled: Since stress is a common phenomenon among most individuals high blood pressure is also prevalent among a majority of these individuals. Younger people suffer from high blood pressure due to workplace politics and familial tensions. High blood pressure should not be taken lightly. Exercising and regular medications should be opted for in order to counter the threat of kidney failure at a young age.
- If you are obese, you are stepping closer to the threat: If not optimal; being close to the optimal body weight is very necessary to keep health disorders in check. If you are obese, you are not safe; one must make efforts to lose weight or else face the alarming situation when his or her kidneys fail to function properly.
- Consumption of junk food can cause complications: Junk food is fatty. One must keep away from high-protein and high-fat diet. Food items rich in protein and fats can push you towards chronic kidney diseases.
- Genetics may discern the health of your kidneys: The incidence of kidney failure in your family history can make you prone to a similar condition. Extra care should be taken to avoid any such possibility. Regular health check-ups should be undertaken. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.