Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Vadodara and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Jigen P Shah
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Jigen P ShahYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Cleft lip and cleft palate are the two most common birth defects affecting children all over the world. What happens in the cleft lip is that the upper lip is incompletely formed and in cleft palate abnormalities, we see babies with an incompletely formed roof of the mouth. Both these can be found individually or can occur together. These conditions can be severe or mild and affect one or both sides of the face.
The fEtus undergoes the separation of the upper lip and the roof of the mouth pretty early. In certain cases, this separation does not happen or happens incompletely and certain parts of the upper lip and roof of the mouth fail to form properly leading to cleft lip and palate.
Repair through surgery
- Plastic surgery is the only way to repair a cleft lip and/or palate. Both of these impair vital functions like speaking, eating, breathing, and hearing properly.
- Surgery is done to restore function and to make the affected child look more normal.
- Most cleft lip and palate surgeries are done on very young children usually 3 months to a year old.
- Before the actual surgery, a team of specialist define a course of treatment, including repair of the cleft using surgery, which means plugging the hole in the lip or the palate; speech rehabilitation and dental restoration, as the child usually has no teeth in the affected parts of the upper palate.
The specialists required are:
What happens during surgery?
Usually, cleft lip surgery happens in children as young as 3-6 months old. It has to be carried out under general anaesthesia. If the condition is severe, and the cleft lip is wide, special procedures like lip adhesion or a moulding plate are used to bring the two parts of the lip closer and it is fully repaired.
Cleft palate repair surgery is done at the age of 9-12 months only.
What happens here is that plastic surgeons bring together the muscles of the upper soft palate and rearrange them to cover the gaping hole in the roof of the mouth. The surgery is usually done under general anaesthesia and requires a short hospital stay.
- Without a normal palate, the child can’t speak properly. So, surgery helps to improve and normalise speech.
- And that’s not all. The child may require more surgeries as he grows older to treat these two problems.
- This is because the child’s facial structure changes and he or she may require advanced surgeries like pharyngoplasty, which helps improve speech, or alveolar bone grafts to provide stability for permanent teeth.
- A bone graft is usually done when the child is 6-10 years old and it closes gaps in the bone or gums near the front teeth. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pediatrician.
My baby is born on april 16 she is weighing 4.5 now is this normal or underweight I am feeding my milk suggest to increase weight.
My daughter was born premature by 20 days and her birth weight was 2.4 Kgs. She suffered from Jaundice after 3 days of birth & was given phototherapy for 1 day. Her weight reduced to 2.1 kg. After 5.5 months, Her weight gain has reached till only 5 Kgs. Her vaccination till 6 months are completed. Question 1 :- Doctor has suggested only Vitamin D3 & Ferris drops. But he has not suggested Calcium drops. Whether this is required or not. We are continuing Pro Nan -1 & we have started little upper diets like cereal water etc. Question 2 :- What else shall we do to raise her weight exponentially, which according to us is less than shall be as actual. Awaiting your valuable feedback, Regards,
My baby girl is now 15 months old and she did not get her teeth as of now. First 6 months she completely on mother milk and after we started semi solid food and also with mother milk. First 12 months we also given her JUST D syrup as suggested by doctor. Not getting teeth till now is it normal? Or any treatment required for this. Please suggest. Thank you.
Hi, My child, is around 9 months old. He was exclusively breast mild for first 6 months. Now weaning. I do breast feed and give homemade cerelac and other homemade food. Do any formula milk is required in additional? If yes, please suggest what is good.
I am a breast feeding mom. I used to take eldoper for diarrhoea before. I heard its harmful for baby. Please suggest an alternative to be used for emergencies ?
Diabetes is a chronic metabolic disorder that results in higher level of blood sugar in the body. It is assuming epidemic proportions and India has become the new diabetic capital with more than 50 million diabetic people. The main problem with diabetes is that it does not completely go away and there is a whole myriad of issues that it brings along with it. Heart attack, stroke, eyesight problems, delayed wound healing, nerve damage and impotence. Therefore, diabetes and by that we mainly mean blood sugar level has to be managed so that there is a delay in onset of the associated conditions and/or reduced in severity.
Ayurveda refers to diabetes as Prameha (excessive urination) and Madhumeha (sugary urine) and has identified close to 20 forms of the disease. According to Ayurvedic belief, each disease is caused due to imbalance in kapha, pitta, and vata doshas and diabetes is caused by all these, predominantly by kapha. With any stream of medicine, management of diabetes involves two tracks – one is lifestyle changes and the second is medications.
Lifestyle changes include the following:
Diet: Reduce the amount of rice, sugar, potato, sweet fruits, maida, deep fried foods, and red meat. Protein-rich foods like lentils, soya, green leafy vegetables and fish should be increased. Diet plan should change to small, frequent meals instead of binge eating.
Exercise: Include 30 minutes of regular exercise into your daily routine if you have a diabetic predisposition.
Others: Avoid smoking and alcohol, ensure sufficient sleep, avoid sleeping during day time, improved foot and eye care, periodically check sugar levels and manage stress levels.
Ayurveda has a whole lot of home remedies which have proven to be very effective against diabetes:
- Jambhul: Eugenia Jambolana whether eaten raw or juice extract has been shown to have beneficial effects in managing sugar levels and cholesterol.
Gymnema sylvestre: Used to manage diabetes for over 2000 years, it reduces sugar cravings and is being touted as the future for diabetes treatment.
Bitter gourd (Momordica charantia): It has 3 components that give it strong antidiabetic properties. The charantin reduces blood sugar levels; the polypeptide has insulin-like effects; and lectin that again has hypoglycemic effects.
Bel (Aegle marmelos): Also known as wood apple, leaves of the plant are shown to have antidiabetic properties. 5 to 10 leaves can be chewed on a daily basis to help control blood sugar levels.
Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum): Consuming 10 g of fenugreek seeds soaked in water increases the amount of insulin produced, thereby increasing sugar breakdown.
Neem: Chewing about 4 to 5 leaves in the morning on an empty stomach helps to control blood sugar levels. Alternately, neem leaves powder is available which can be dissolved in water and consumed.
Adenoids refer to the mass of lymphatic tissue situated at the intersection of the back of the nose and throat. They are a part of the body's immune system and play a noteworthy part in battling infections in kids. Adenoids fight off the microbes and infection that enter the body through the nose. They typically occur in children of five to seven years of age and from that point, they begin to decrease. They vanish when the child gets older. This is the physiological development and relapse of the adenoids. However, permanent adenoids are an issue in view of a number of annoying symptoms they show in a child. The major among these are breathing through the mouth and wheezing because of nasal blockage.
Homeopathic medicines are a very safe option than surgery in kids with extended adenoids. It has been noted that adenoids, when surgically removed, tend to regrow. Homeopathic medicines focus on strengthening the child’s immune system. The cures are as follows:
- Baryta Carb: Baryta Carb is one of the top recorded homeopathic medications for swollen adenoids. It is likewise the medicine to endorse where both tonsils and adenoids are broadened. The child feels sensitive to ice in extremes. The tiniest exposure to icy air causes cough. Cough also shows up at the slightest change in climate. Sneezing and thick yellow nasal release may be seen. Pain in the throat increases on gulping.
- Calcarea Carb: Calcarea Carb is another brilliant homeopathic medicine for amplified adenoids with the tendency to get infected. Calcarea Carb will be recommended where the youngster is exceptionally helpless to cold and falls sick after each such introduction. This weak immune system for diseases brings about broadened adenoids or tonsils.
- Agraphis Nutans and Merc Sol: Agraphis Nutans and Merc Sol are extremely helpful homeopathic medicines for treating ear grumblings because of expanded adenoids. Agraphis Nutans is the best treatment for deafness because of expanded adenoids. Homeopathic prescription Merc Sol is highly used in case of an ear infection connected with swollen adenoids.
- Kali Sulphuricum: Kali Sulphuricum is among one of the top recorded homeopathic solutions for adenoids that regrow after surgery. The symptoms controlling utilisation of Kali Sulphuricum are a blocked nose, mouth breathing and wheezing. Yellow coloured nasal release is also common.
- Ammonium Carb and Sambucus Nigra: Ammonium Carb and Sambucus Nigra are incredibly helpful homeopathic medicines for developed adenoids. A youngster that needs these drugs will have an increased nasal blockage. The nasal hindrance is most set apart around evening time. Breathing through the mouth because of a blocked nose is also very common. Ammonium Carb is likewise used for a seeping nose, particularly in the morning. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopath.
- Sinapis Nigra is one of the great remedy for Adenoid