Find numerous Orthopedists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Orthopedists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Orthopedists online in Trivandrum. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Back Pain Treatment
Treatment of Joint Pain
Treatment of Leg Pain
Treatment of Knee Pain
Treatment of Hand Pain
Treatment of Shoulder Pain
Treatment of Foot Pain
Treatment of Lower Back Pain
Treatment of Bone Fracture
Treatment of Arm Pain
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Finger Pain
Treatment of Hip Pain
Treatment of Heel Pain
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Elbow Pain
Treatment of Spondylitis
Treatment of Strains
Treatment of Slip Disc
Treatment of Ankle Sprain
Submit a review for Dr. George AndrewsYour feedback matters!
I am 28 years old male and experience knee pain while driving. Can you recommend any exercise for the same?
Knee pain in only one leg. My age is 55 yrs and wt is 56 kg. After taking multivitamins for 1 month & started taking calcium tablets for 12 days, I am feeling better.
Leg area feels numb knee level down! I was given injection for tetanus and neurobion forte after which doc referred me to the neuro physicist who prescribed renerve, neurobion n liv52 on 10th feb n told to consult after 15 days. I can only feel little sensation when I pinch there. Should I be worried? He told that it was due to some nerve damage.
Sir/ Mam, I am patient of AVN (hip joint). What can be the better if I compare with free vascular fibular graft to THR. I feels pain in thigh since jan'15 and my age is 26 yrs. Currently I am getting treated with AIIMS ortho dept, taking medicines to reduce the degradation of hip joint.
Suffering frm shoulder pain, mostly left side and due to that having problem in breathing and feeling like something is sticked in chest. Yesterday went to doctor and he did ECG and blood test. This problem is frm last 5 days. Ecg- 802 sinus tachycardia, 401 short PR INTERNAL. Please suggest.
I have a very unique problem. I feel some hindrance when I bend my neck. My throat does not pain or I dont have any irritation in my throat. But when I bend my neck, I feel some disturbance. But no pain. Please advice
I have fell down from vehicle and found that lower part of fibula bone is fractured. Then advice me for how many days I wear air boot to become normal.
Hi. Doctor I am 23 yr old girl and I have problem last 5 month. I have pain around or more in left side of my belly bottom. And lower part. Last 5 month every month the pain in occur and 5, 6 days the pain is gone and than it is occur. Now pain is coming what should I do. Please help me.
My mother has complaint pain in her arms. She can not pick up her own arms. Please tell me treatment for this.
The bone is one of the hardest substances in the body. It is equal to a matrix which is filled with various minerals like calcium and phosphorus. With age, people lose on the minerals and what remains is the porous matrix. This is a very common condition in elderly people and is known as osteoporosis - osteo for bone, and porosis for the porous condition.
The good news is that this condition can be managed and the onset can also be prevented.
Management: This involves a multi-pronged approach, covering lifestyle changes, diet, exercise, and medications.
- Lifestyle changes: Quitting smoking and reducing alcohol help in improving osteoporosis.
- Diet: Improving vitamin D, calcium intake, and protein supplements help in preventing the onset of osteoporosis. If you do not get the required amounts of vitamins and calcium from the diet, you may be advised to take supplements.
- Exercise: The main issue that people face due to osteoporosis is that the bones get brittle and can fracture and lead to frequent falls. Exercising regularly by including some weight-bearing workouts can a help in strengthening the bones, thus preventing fracture.
- Reduce the incidences of falls: It is very essential to alter the living spaces to reduce incidence of falls. This could include improved lighting, using anti-fall rugs, regular eye checks, etc.
- Medications: Bisphosphonates is the most commonly used drugs for osteoporosis. In addition, hormonal supplements are also used in women who are post-menopausal.
Prevention would include understanding risk factors and working on reducing the impact of these, as below.
- Calcium supplements are suggested for people with a family history. This helps in strengthening the bone matrix and thereby prolongs porous bone formation.
- Women over the age of 40 should take calcium supplements. Menopause is a major risk factor, and this is particularly due to the hormonal changes (lowered levels of estrogen).
- Reducing cigarette smoking helps prolong osteoporosis, as smoking is a major risk factor. The risk is increased in women smokers.
- Sedentary lifestyle is another risk factor, and therefore those who are at risk should engage in an active lifestyle. A regular exercise regime is very essential to keeping the bones agile and strong.
Dietary changes to prevent osteoporosis include:
- Diet rich in dairy products, as it helps by providing adequate calcium. Yoghurt consumption also helps in improving estrogen levels, and prevents osteoporosis.
- Eggs also help in improving calcium and estrogen levels in the body.
- Fish and meat are rich in calcium and protein, so help in preventing osteoporosis.
- Bananas improves calcium absorption, provides essential oils required for bone health.
- Cabbage helps in improving bone metabolism and improving calcium uptake by the bones.
- Reduce alcohol and caffeine intake.
So, while osteoporosis is inevitable given the natural bone structure, it can definitely be prevented and managed.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!