As one of the oldest tree nuts to be cultivated by humans, walnuts have long since been known as a wonder food that can prevent and manage many diseases. It is nutrient packed and is easily available in all seasons. Including a small handful of these nuts in the daily diet can help you stay healthy and fit. Store them in an airtight container and if refrigerated they can remain fresh for many months.
Following are the reasons why you must eat them
- Weight Management: Walnuts are high in fat and protein. You can sprinkle them on your salads, fruits, oats or any other cereal or eat them as they are. Due to its fat and protein content, they have a high satiety value and can prevent hunger for a long period of time.
- Brain Health- Walnuts resemble the brain and the omega 3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid found in them helps improve memory, concentration and brain functions in all age groups. Regular consumption of these nuts may prevent Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Skin Health- Vitamin E found in walnuts helps in keeping the skin healthy, glowing and young. They have been found to prevent skin dryness and delay ageing.
- Heart Disease and Diabetes: The fat found in them is monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. They are an excellent source of the heart-friendly omega 3 fatty acids. The antioxidants found in walnuts keep the heart healthy and prevents type 2 diabetes. It helps regulate levels of LDL (the bad cholesterol) and enhance HDL (the good cholesterol).
- Source of Minerals- Apart from being rich in fats and protein they are also a good source of various minerals like copper, manganese, zinc, selenium, calcium, potassium etc.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!