With exam time around the corner, the stress is on both parents and students. Some kids spend very less time with books and assimilate all that is there in the books. Other children may have a hard time trying to focus on studies and even harder time in recollecting what they have studied.
What can help improve focus, concentration, and memory? Try some of these tips and identify what works for you and build your own rules.
What is stress?
There are situations in life when a person is required to perform beyond his/her normal capacity, or situations when some expectations are not met. This creates anxiety, fear and anger. This is a situation where a person feels inadequate, under-confident and experiences loss of control. This affects a person's physical and mental wellbeing. This feeling of fear, anxiety, restlessness is commonly known as "tension or stress".
Symptoms of Stress :
What causes stress?
Why stress management is important?
Body and mind affect each other's functioning. When the mind is stressed out, it gets reflected in the body in the form of high blood pressure, high sugar levels, indigestion, acidity, heartburn, ulcers, skin rashes, headache, nausea, cancer, eating disorders, psychosomatic pains etc. It may trigger asthma, migraine etc.
Because of these harmful effects of stress, the body's capacity to function reduces. At times, it may cause a serious threat to one's life. Hence, it is very important to learn to relieve and also to manage stress, in order to have a long and healthy life.
There are a number of ways to relieve stress:
How to manage Stress?
Stress is an inevitable part of life now. Right from a kid going to Pre-Nursery school to senior citizens staying alone at homes and having severe health problems; all are under a lot of stress. No one can avoid stress. But there are certain ways to manage your stress-
Try to minimise stress in life and lead a happy healthy life.
For many people, striking a healthy work/life balance almost seems like an unachievable goal. More often than not, we struggle to juggle heavy workloads, take on family responsibilities, manage relationships, and end up compromising on our interests. It is no surprise that one in every four Indians is living a stressful life.
In a rush to get it all done in one go – be it at home or in the office – we tend to forget that our stress levels go up and productivity drops. Chronic stress affects our ability to concentrate and makes us depressed or irritable. In due time, it harms both our professional and personal relationships.
Ways to Strike a Balance between Work and Life
Here are a few steps you can take to ensure that you do not end up living under the pressure of meeting deadlines at work or miss out on family gatherings –
• Set Manageable Goals Daily Being able to meet our priorities gives a sense of control and accomplishment. Be realistic about deadlines and workloads. Create a ‘to do’ list and focus on important tasks first. Eliminate the unessential ones. Ask for help if needed.
• Take a Break Taking small breaks in between work helps clear the mind and improves one’s ability to make good decisions when you jump back into the grind.
• Unplug The same technology that makes work so easy can also burn us out if used round-the-clock. Make yourself available, but also recognize the need for your ‘own time’. Unwind, engage in fun activities and spend some time doing what makes you happy.
• Get Support Catching up with friends and family can go a long way in boosting your mental health in general, and productivity at work. No matter how busy you have been all week, make sure you find some time to spend with your loved ones.
• Stay Active Besides improving physical health, regular exercise also benefits your mental health – it reduces depression, anxiety, and stress.
Research states that any sort of physical activity helps you cope with adversities better. Make time for a brief walk during lunch break or hit the gym later in the day.
Do not allow stress to stand in the way of your happiness and health. If you are facing issues managing your time between professional and personal life, and are persistently overwhelmed, consider seeking help from a mental health professional.
Marriage is perhaps the most important relation in an adult’s life. That’s why it needs extra care and attention, especially when things are not exactly gung ho. This is where marriage or marital therapy comes in.
Marriage counselling is the process of counselling the married couple to recognize and to reconcile or at least manage differences and repeating patterns of stress upon the marital relationship.
Basic practices of marital therapy
The successful couples usually make concrete changes to accommodate the needs of the partner and also show greater emotional acceptance of the other.
Role of the relationship counselor
A couple therapist is usually someone with a degree in psychiatry or counseling. And her primary role is to listen, understand and facilitate better communication between the couple. The counselor also:
When should you seek marital therapy?
Marriage counseling is a long process. And another thing to remember is that it can’t save a marriage that is unsalvageable. So, go in for marital therapy with an aim to do what’s the best for you and your partner.
Are you feeling stressed out? don’t reach for the pills just yet; there is a better option out there. Almost all conventional methods of treatment come with side effects, no matter how effective they are. Why not opt for an equally effective method, but without side effects, yes you heard it right! homeopathy is a method of treatment that is effective and free from side effects.
Here are some homeopathic remedies that can help you de-stress:
1. Be active: feeling stressed of late? time to get your running shoes on. Research proves that exercise is one of the best remedies for stress, activities such as running and swimming release ‘endorphins’ in the system, which uplift your mood. So go for an early morning jog or a late evening swim, whatever suits you just make sure that you get some exercise on a regular basis.
2. Diet: stress can result from an improper diet where the body is not well nourished. The body needs its share of various vitamins and minerals to function optimally. So it is important to eat a well-balanced mean and avoid eating junk food. Eating unhealthy food can cause reactions in the body that lead to various diseases.
3. Be connected: being connected does not mean being connected on social media, rather forming and nurturing ‘people to people’ connections. Talk to people, getting involved in team activities and participating in various sports. Form meaningful relationships with others so that you have someone to listen to you when you feel weary and low. Staying isolated can cause symptoms of stress to aggravate.
4. Start a hobby: if you don’t already have one, spend some time doing things that give you pleasure. It can be something that gives you a sense of accomplishment. Doing such activities will keep your mind active and reduce stress levels.
5. Medications: apart from the above, homeopathy has medications such as nux vomica which is used to reduce anger and impatience. For people who are stressed due to overwork, kali phos is an effective remedy. In case of prolonged grief such as the one resulting from a sudden demise in the family, natrum mur and ignatia are advised. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
A stressful life and unhealthy lifestyle impacts not only our physical health but also our mental health. There are some instances now that have proved that most cases of mental illness such as depression, anxiety, and stress, happen due to an unhealthy lifestyle.
Though in an extreme condition, you may need the help of a professional expert, there are many ways through which you can keep your physical, as well as mental health, in check.
Food is the most important ingredient of a healthy body and mind. Today, many physical ailments take place due to the wrong diet and unhealthy food habits. Some of the most common mistakes that people make these days are:
It's always best to consume lots of green vegetables and fresh fruits. The vitamins and minerals available in a balanced diet are very important to keep you away from health issues. Also, green vegetables such as spinach help in oxidizing the blood that reaches your brain and help in proper working of the brain cells.
Along with consuming a proper and balanced diet, it is also important to provide a proper amount of workout session to both the body and mind.
Today, some people rely on gym instruments inside the four enclosed walls of a room. This may help you in getting a well-toned and fit body, but may not benefit your mind.
If you wish to keep your mind away from problems such as tiredness and stress, then it is important to inhale some fresh air at least once a day. A good way is to go for some exercises such as walking, jogging, cycling and others in open air for some time. The fresh and open air, along with exposure to greenery, refreshes your mind and hence controls the release of anxiety toxins in the brain.
After proper diet and exercise, what is most important is relaxation. If you are working the whole day and you do not have time for relaxation, the tiredness will make you fall sick. Some useful tips are:
Thus, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle not only to keep your body fit and healthy but also to keep your mind healthy and free from anxiety and stress.
We often fear a change in our daily routines, it makes us anxious and jittery (nervous). But sometimes change is often required to shake up your life and inculcate better and healthier daily habits. We are creatures of habit and linearity and like to keep it so. Soon these new habits will be a part and parcel of your life in no time. But it is important to push yourself and be disciplined and not slack off when your body refuses to comply.
Inculcating below-mentioned habits to your daily routine can help in healthier living, know how -
1. Exercise daily - This habit can never be stressed upon enough. It gets your body up, and running first thing in the morning helps to make you feel good about your body. When exercising daily, your body is fit and healthy, decreasing the risk of lifestyle diseases. The kind and level of exercises that you do are completely dependent upon your goals.
2. Eat right - What you eat every day by way of habit, makes more impact than you think. Stick to well-balanced meals that supply your body with just the right amount of proteins, carbohydrates, etc. Food also has an impact on your moods and it is important that you understand what each food does to different kinds of moods. Make sure you eat a power-packed breakfast for it is the only meal of the day that gives you enough energy to get through to the next meal.
3. Limit your online time - Social media has become so much a part of our lives. But being online and making your social media presence felt all the time isn't all that 'cool', but a rather unhealthy habit. Checking your phone constantly for those incessant notifications, hearing ghost rings, can make you have extremely jumpy nerves. Limit the number of times you check your phone in a day and have phases where you don't touch it at all, especially just before you go to bed. The glare of your smartphone can not only ruin your sleeping patterns but also your eyesight.
4. Stay hydrated - You should drink a glass of water first thing in the morning, to wash out all the toxins that have accumulated overnight. This helps to boost your metabolism and raises your energy levels. Drink enough water the rest of the day to keep up this cleansing effect.
5. Meditate - In a world that is now so virtual, it is integral that you take out time for yourself and yourself only. Meditation is a way by which you can find inner peace and clear your mind of all unnecessary thoughts. It helps you to focus on yourself, your goals and wants. Starting your day peacefully with intent and focus is the way to go.
It's all about trying and being disciplined enough to keep at it and succeed. It is for your betterment and will go a long way to keep you healthy mentally, physically and emotionally.