The job of a nurse is not an easy one. It involves them working in a high-risk environment and often encountering a wide range of potential hazards while on the job. Sometimes, their calling puts them in the line of deadly diseases, even as they valiantly continue with their duties and responsibilities. Therefore, proper hygiene practices are of the utmost importance for those in the nursing profession.
Here are a few tips on personal hygiene for nurses –
Wear gloves at all times - As part of your job, you may have to administer medications intravenously to the patient or come in contact with heavily soiled and contaminated substances. Not wearing gloves or the improper use of gloves can expose you to a host of infectious diseases. Therefore, you must wear them at all times, when you are on-duty. You must also keep changing them between work hours to avoid contracting diseases. Disposable gloves are a good option, so you can wear them off and dump them completely in a covered dustbin.
Wash hands thoroughly - We already know the importance of handwashing as part of daily hygiene, but for nurses, this is even more essential. No matter how clean and sterile your work environment is, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you encounter surgical tools and equipment – scissors, scalpel, needles and syringes. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends washing hands with water and soap, preferably in liquid form, for at least 20 seconds. In case you do not have access to either of these, use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content, to wash hands.
Focus high-touch areas - Avoid touching surfaces, such as doorknobs, bed rails, remote controls, and telephones in the patient’s room with bare hands, as these are highly contaminated areas and are prone to bacteria. Wash your hands immediately after being exposed to such high-touch surfaces, and certainly after using the toilet.
Maintain cleanliness at all times - No matter how exhausting your day might have been, be sure to change your uniform once you get back home. Get a shower, change into clean clothes before you start with your household chores or even before you come in contact with any of your family members. Wash your hospital clothes with mild disinfectant and detergent and dry them completely before wearing the same set the following day.
It takes a lot of dedication and compassion to be in a nurse’s profession. Sometimes, it can be hard to keep up with one’s health while caring for others. However, with proper measures, you can maintain good hygiene for yourself, as well as, others. Maintaining hygiene and keeping the hospital facilities clean for healthcare workers and patients should be of top priority.
In this COVID-19 pandemic time whenever you visit hospital please do not touch your masks in hospital and please dont put it down when you talk to staff or doctor.
Keep your mobile and purse with your spouse.
Wash your hand when you enter and leave the hospital.
Organ donation is a topic we often hear in the media. Over the last few years, this subject has slowing gained traction primarily due to increased awareness among the public. Events like the organ donation day have been particularly helpful in this regard.
But still, there are many misconceptions that do persist even now. The problem is that these misconceptions prevent many people from donating their organs. The fact is that every organ donor can save eight lives and improve many others, so even a loss of a single donor can impact many lives.
In a bid to dispel these myths and enhance awareness about organ donation, here are some facts of organ donation –
You can donate even when you are alive - Many people aren’t aware of the fact that they can donate their organs in their lifetime. In fact, living donors can continue to lead healthy and normal lives after their donation.
The elderly and chronically ill patients can donate - Age is not a roadblock when it comes to organ donation. People of old age can donate their organs if they so wish. Moreover, just because someone has a chronic illness does not disqualify him/her from being an organ donor. A doctor can assess your condition and let you know which organs can be donated.
Many organs and tissues can be donated - The most commonly donated organs are the heart, liver and kidney. But the fact of the matter is that one can also donate stomach, lungs, intestines and pancreas. Connective tissues, bones and even your skin can be donated. Although these organs and tissue less publicity compared to some of their more famous counterparts like the heart and the kidney, they are not any less important.
You can help save multiple lives - As stated above, every donor can save up to eight lives. These are just from the important organs like the heart and the kidney, organs that perform crucial life-sustaining functions in the body. However, your tissues and other organs like the eyes and the skin can help up to more than 50 people.
You don’t have to pay anything to become an organ donor - There are charges that you have to pay to register yourself as an organ donor.
Organ donation is the need of the hour. With more awareness about this subject, more people will come forward to donate organs and change countless lives on this planet.
A healthy diet is crucial for healthy bones. Many people face problems like osteoarthritis and osteoporosis as they age. While there are many factors that lead to deterioration of bone health such as obesity, the foods that you consume has a bigger impact on your bone health.
For starters, two of the basic nutrients that your bones need are calcium and vitamin D. Calcium strengthens the bones while vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium. Deficiency of these key nutrients can set you up for bone ailments.
Here are some foods that will promote bone health –
Go nuts - Nuts like almonds and walnuts have omega 3 fatty acids, which prevent the rate of bone cells breaking down. Moreover, nuts are also rich in protein and other trace minerals that are essential for the musculoskeletal system of the body.
Leafy greens - Leafy greens like cabbage, spinach and kale are packed with calcium and vitamin K. We know what calcium does for the bones, but not much about the role of vitamin K in bone health. Vitamin K prevents calcium loss from urine. It also plays a critical role in forming essential bone proteins. You can add leafy greens in your salad servings or in your sandwiches.
Dairy products - Most people give up on milk when they enter their teenage years. Milk is a powerhouse of nutrients, especially the ones that play a role in bone health, which is calcium and vitamin D. Ensure that the milk you drink is of the non-fat variety. Also, avoid certain products made from dairy such as ice cream and cheese as they are high in calories and contain very little vitamin D.
Seeds - Seeds like flax seeds and chia seeds are rich in magnesium. Not many people know this but 50% of your body’s magnesium reserves are in the bones. So when your magnesium levels drop, your calcium levels too drop and this results in weak and fragile bones.
Fatty fish - Fatty fish like salmon are rich in vitamin and omega 3 fatty acids. In addition to eating these foods, you should also get sufficient sun exposure to naturally produce vitamin D. Remember to expose yourself to the early morning sun, as the sun can get unbearable during the middle of the day.
Moreover, you need to follow a daily exercise regimen to keep your bones healthy and strong. It will also keep your joints flexible.
Following a healthy lifestyle can help you keep your bones in good shape for a long time to come.
Stay Healthy With 3 Handy Tips -
1.Walk For Atleast 45 Min
2. Do Self Stretching
3.Take Bath With Lukewarm Water With Rock Salt In It
World environment day - tips for a healthier lifestyle
Let's all take a pledge to follow these guidelines for asthma, allergic rhinitis and pollution-free - healthy lifestyle.
1) reduce automobile use.
2) stop smoking (passive smoking is as harmful)
3) use energy-efficient gadgets
4) create green zones (in our homes, colonies, offices)
5) reduce the use of plastics, reuse plastics and recycle plastics and other garbage.
6) proper garbage disposal (never allow burning)
All these steps along with proper treatment of allergic, chest diseases, can reduce the physical, emotional and financial burden of treatment.
Please remember" we don't own this planet, we borrow it from our future generations"
Can psychology help you get better life? The answer is yes. You got to have a proper psychological balance so that you can get a planned and peaceful life. You can now get innumerable benefits by having proper and perfect psychological support.
10 psychological ways for getting an improved life
- Get acute motivation: if you are fully motivated towards life, then you will get success in every phase of your life. This is why you must take psychological help from a doctor.
- Improving leadership skills: Psychology can improve your leadership skills to a great extent, and thus you can influence your team members.
- Becoming a better communicator: A better listener is a good communicator, and if you want to become a good listener, then you got to have enough patience, and this quality can be gained only through psychological help.
- Having better understanding about others: You should understand people well, otherwise, you might face great difficulty in interaction or communication with others.
- Making accurate decisions: Taking accurate decisions in life is a great necessity, otherwise, you will not be able to lead a comfortable life. You get more confidence and take the right decisions when you take psychological help.
- Improving your memory: You can get enhanced memory power and thus can remember things much easily and freely. If you are a student, then psychological help or counselling will be a great help for you.
- Making wise financial decisions: You can now get the capability of taking independent and wise financial decisions on your own without taking the assistance of others, and this is possible only by receiving proper psychological help.
- Getting better grades: You can concentrate on studies well, as a result of which higher grades can be easily earned. You will face no hindrances and can study with a peaceful mind.
- Becoming more productive: you can get higher physical and mental productivity as a result of which all your objectives can get fulfilled. If you remain energetic, then you can perform your duties well.
- Healthy living: If you are psychologically strong, then you can lead a healthy life. Depressed or stressed-out mind cannot help you to live properly, and thus you are in need of a stable mental condition. Healthy mind will help you to take proper decisions and these decisions are helpful in staying healthy without inviting any complications.