Ayurveda believes that health is the result of a balance between three elements in the body or what are known as tridoshas. These are Vata, pitta, and kapha. Increase or decrease in each of these levels can induce various diseases. Obesity is also the result of an imbalance between these three elements. Restoring balance through Ayurveda includes a multipronged approach including diet, supplements, yoga, massage, and lifestyle changes.
- Massage: There are specific massages using herbal powders and/or oils which are used with the intention of reducing weight.
- Udwarthanam: This special dry massage uses dry herbal powders, and the vigorous strokes used help in breaking up fatty deposits, reducing fat accumulation, improving circulation, and improving muscle tone.
- Abhyangam: This is basically to revitalise and energise the body where massage is done using warm herbal oils. It is a great detoxification method and improves both blood and lymphatic circulation. This helps remove wastes and provide nutrition to starved cells.
- Dietary changes: Ayurveda uses multiple herbs and spices to help in weight reduction. These act by multiple methods including reducing fat accumulation, reducing triglyceride levels, improving resistance to insulin, and improving fat - waist ratios.
Some of the most commonly used modes are.
1. Mix black pepper, honey, and lemon juice in a glass of lukewarm water in the morning is the best way to start the day and is great for weight loss.
2. A mix of cumin
seeds, and fennel
seeds boiled in water can be strained and used through the day as a fat burner.
powder mixed with honey is also helpful in burning fat.
4. In addition, ginger
, licorice, guggul, and wild gooseberries are useful in reducing fat accumulation and fighting obesity.
5. Reduce substances like potato, rice
, salt, sugar
, caffeine, alcohol, junk and processed foods, refined foods like maida.
6. A bowl of boiled cabbage
is another great way to reduce weight.
7. Ensure honey is consumed daily as it prevents fat accumulation
8. Sufficient hydration of about 3 litres per day which can help wash off the toxins produced as a result of fat burning.
9. Ensure that the largest meal is not the last one of the day, but either breakfast or lunch. This helps in reducing fat accumulation.
- Quit smoking
- Don't take alcohol, totally stop it. Surely start with pranayam - surynamaskar meditation twice a day. It will also improve your metabolism.
- Maintain a daily sleep routine and adhere to it, at least 7 to 8 hours per day
- Include yoga asanas like Ardha Chandraasana which are aimed at weight loss. Any yoga is useful in detox and improving metabolism, so go ahead.
Weight loss programs should be comprehensive and not just include starving away to losing weight.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!