Dermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure to resurface the uppermost layer of the skin which contains dirt and dead cells. This cosmetic procedure is suggested to the patients with fine lines, patches, scars, or pores. The procedure is done by using a rolling device which is rolled on the skin and the dirt or dead layer is removed.
While undergoing the dermabrasion procedure, the doctors will numb your skin area. You can also be given general anaesthesia depending upon the length and complication of the procedure. The skin looks pink and sensitive for a week after the treatment. This treatment can be suggested along with other cosmetic procedure as well.
Dermabrasion is done to correct the skin defects like:
● The appearance of fine lines
● Resurfacing the dull skin and dead cells
● Smoothening of skin
● Lightening the scars due to surgery and acne
● Lightening and brightening of patches and other marks on the face
● Uneven skin tone
● To treat damaged and red skin
Dermabrasion helps in skin problems which are not due to inflammation and radiation. However, if you have swollen skin, inflamed pores, and radiation pores, then dermabrasion will not be suggested by your doctor.
Dermabrasion can cause following mentioned side effects:
● Redness and swelling in the skin are common after the procedure. These symptoms will decrease within a week.
● Enlarged pores are also a common side effect of dermabrasion. Since the upper layer of the skin is removed, the simulated skin leaves the pores enlarged. Your doctor will recommend some medicines for the
● You will notice tiny white bumps like acne. These will usually disappear within three or four days.
Everybody’s skin reaction is different to Dermabrasion. Very rarely, dermabrasion defects the skin after a treatment. But you should follow the doctor’s instructions to avoid bacterial infection or scarring. If dermabrasion is done deeply, it may lead to some skin reactions, which will slowly decrease with the doctors prescribed treatment. You will be called for the appointment soon after treatment.
When Are You Suggested Dermabrasion?
Not everybody is suggested for dermabrasion. If you are on some skin medication like thinning of skin or steroids, you will not be suggested for dermabrasion by your doctor. It is recommended by the doctor only after:
Physical examination: Physical exams are conducted by the cosmetic doctor to look into your skin conditions. They also look for the thickness in the skin and the affected area. If the problem can be treated with medicines and creams, then dermabrasion is denied.
Medical history: Complete study of medical history is important for the doctor before undergoing for dermabrasion. They may ask you some questions pertaining to the medical conditions in the past and in the family.
Condition of the skin: Doctors do not suggest dermabrasion on the first visit. The first criteria of the doctors is to make your skin ready for the procedure. This is done by looking into the problems, listening to your expectations, and examining the affected area of the skin.