Pre Menstrual Syndrome: Treatment, Procedure, Cost And Side Effects
Last Updated: Nov 30, 2023
What is Pre Menstrual Syndrome?
Pre Menstrual Syndrome is a condition affects women just before her menstrual cycle. It affects women emotionally, physically and behaviorally as well. It is a common condition which affects almost 90 percent of menstrual women. Cause of Pre Menstrual Syndrome is unknown, but ts symptoms start five to eleven days before periods.
Pre Menstrual Syndrome has some risk factors such as -
Bipolar disorder - it is a form of mental illness, in which patients have episodes of depression. These depressive episodes lead to deep sadness, suicidal thoughts, loss of energy, hopelessness, and duration of little or too much sleep. Bipolar disorder is also known as manic depression. It is of three types include bipolar 1, bipolar 2 and cyclothymia.
Dysmenorrhea - it is a condition in which girls started feeling menstrual cramps in lower abdominal, which could range from mild to severe. This kind of condition occurs after one or two years when a girl reached puberty. These menstrual cramps stop entirely when a girl had her first baby. Due to this condition, a girl may feel pain in lower back, loose stools, upset stomach, vomiting, and pressure in the belly as well.
Major depressive disorder - an intense feeling of sadness for a long period of time can be called as major depressive disorder. It can also be referred to as clinical depression. In this condition, the patient feel irritated all most all day. Along with these experiences like restlessness, unusual tiredness, lack of energy, less interested in activities, insomnia, difficulty in decision making, thinking and concentrating are some major symptoms of it.
Seasonal affective disorder - it is a kind of disorder, which relates to changes in depression along with the season. It is a kind of disorder which causes depression in spring or early summer. Patients having it may experience, changes in weight or appetite, low energy, worthless or guilty feeling, agitated are some symptoms of this disorder. Its causes are unknown, but some factors like melatonin levels, serotonin levels, and genes are the key reason for it.
Schizophrenia - it is a kind of condition which strikes slowly over the years or in some cases, it strikes suddenly. Its symptoms depend upon the individual, include delusions, hallucinations, social withdrawal, cognitive difficulties, avolition etc. it could be caused by genes, the chemical imbalance in the brain, environmental factors, may be due to drug consumption.
Is it normal to get tired before your period?
Due to Pre Menstrual Syndrome mood swings, increased thirst, hunger, craving for certain foods, and tiredness. If you have these symptoms before a week of period then you might have this condition. In general, womens doesn’t feel any such tiredness and above mentioned symptoms.
What is the cause of Pre Menstrual Syndrome?
Pre Menstrual Syndrome has some common causes which can worsen the conditions include -
- Stress - it is problem to many diseases, Nowadays due to a hectic lifestyle, people get too stressful, which leads to many health problems.
- Smoking - as we all know and read it almost at all the cigarettes packets that, use of tobacco and its product could lead to cancer, but it could also lead many diseases which include pre menstrual syndrome also.
- Sleeplessness - people who are more stressed often get sleep on time, in severe cases, they won’t even sleep. Due to which the human body doesn’t get sleep and these problems lead to many health conditions including PMS.
- Too much salt intake - balance is the key for everything so do in eating things, having healthy eating habits can keep you healthy for a long time. Keep a note and check what you are eating and how much intake you have done.
- Alcohol intake - excessive alcohol intake affects over the body through many ways by imbalance the hormones, it leads to pre menstrual syndrome.
- Migraine - migraine headaches are also one of the reason for the condition such as pre menstrual syndrome. Having any such condition should not be ignored.
- Allergies - there are many kinds of allergic condition which are related to menstrual hormones such as eczema, urticaria, autoimmune progesterone dermatitis, angioedema, and erythema multiforme can worsen during pre menstrual time period.
In such condition you can -
- Stop smoking - stopping unhealthy lifestyle regime is a must. Patients required to switch to a healthy lifestyle and routine as soon as possible.
- Sleep enough - you can take proper medications, prescribed by the doctor on the basis of the clinical condition. It can help you to get better sleep.
- Avoid alcohol, salt, and caffeine - patients having a problem like pre menstrual syndrome, it is required to avoid the consumption of alcohol, salt, and caffeine.
- Eat green veggies - in problems like pre menstrual syndrome, it is best to eat green vegetables as much as possible. It can help in balancing the hormone.
- Intake vitamins and minerals - keep a check on it and take an adequate amount of minerals and vitamins in your diet.
- Work to low the stress. - in such condition, you can take help of yoga or medication. Its exercises help the patient to lower down the stress as much as possible.
What are the symptoms of Pre Menstrual Syndrome?
Pre Menstrual Syndrome symptoms include -
- Food craving
- Sore breasts
- Abdominal pain
What are the treatment of Pre Menstrual Syndrome?
For the treatment of Pre Menstrual Syndrome doctor may prescribe you following medications such as -
- NSAIDs- at the onset of your periods, doctor may prescribe you ibuprofen or naproxen, which gives relieves from menstrual cramps and breast discomfort.
- Diuretics - it is also known as water pills, which eases the body shed excess fluid through kidneys.
- Hormonal contraceptives - these medicines stop ovulation and gives relief in Pre Menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
- Antidepressants - use doctors prescribed medications before two weeks of menstruation begins.
How can you tell if your period is coming soon?
More than 90 percent of women have Pre Menstrual Syndrome in their life. Its symptoms arrives just a week before periods and get away with periods begin. There are few signs to know -
- Acne - adult women suffers from more acne than men do. This is due to rising hormone level which activates sebum production.
- Change in breast - tenderness and swelling of breast is also a factor. It could be linked with high levels of prolactin.
- Cramps - abdominal cramps are the most common condition in such situation.
- Constipation - some women got constipation while others got diarrhea.
- Headache - change in estrogen levels lead to this condition.
- Mood swings - emotional signs are the crucial one as physical signs of Pre Menstrual Syndrome.
- Bloating - it is a major complaint, in such condition eat green veggies and exercise regularly is important.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)- Mayo Clinic [Internet]. mayoclinic.org 2019 [Cited 23 August 2019]. Available from:
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)- Office on Women's Health, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services [Internet]. womenshealth.gov 2018 [Cited 23 August 2019]. Available from:
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)- ACOG, The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists [Internet]. acog.org 2015 [Cited 23 August 2019]. Available from:
Table of content
15+ Years of Surgical Experience
All Insurances Accepted
EMI Facility Available at 0% Rate
Find Gynaecologist near me
Ask a free question
Get FREE multiple opinions from Doctors