Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS is a major problem that leads to menstrual irregularity, infertility, sub-fertility, unwanted hair in the face, dark pigmentation, hair loss, persistent acne etc. Also, it leads to insulin resistance and high levels of testosterone in the female body, which makes PCOS an extremely difficult condition to deal with. Ayurveda treats PCOS holistically. Each patient requires an individualistic treatment plan to cure the disease from within. The aim of Ayurvedic treatment is to balance the doshas and boost metabolism. Ayurveda also helps in weight loss gradually, rather than a sudden decrease in body mass.
Benefits of using Ayurveda in treating PCOS patients
- Detoxification of the whole body and treat the disease from within.
- Revitalizing and strengthening the female reproductive system to regularize the menstrual cycle.
- Balance the hormones and prevent any condition, that could trigger diseases related to hormones.
Ayurvedic medicines that could tackle PCOS
- Asparagus racemosus: This is also known as Shatavari. It helps in promoting the ovarian follicles without the aid of external medicines, revitalize the reproductive system and take a woman back to the normal menstrual cycle. This medicine also does wonders in tackling excess levels of insulin, in the female reproductive system.
- Tinospora cordifolia: This medicine is also known as Guduchi in the Indian subcontinent and is a very powerful anti-inflammatory herb. It can cure the chronic inflammation of the tissues that leads to ovarian cysts and insulin imbalance. Guduchi revitalizes the body tissues and boosts female metabolism in a very natural manner. It is also a great herb to lower the resistance of insulin.
- Foeniculum vulgare: This herb is also known as Shatapushpa in Sanskrit. Being a rich source of phytoestrogen, it is a great herb as far as treating PCOS is concerned. Phytoestrogen can drastically cut down inflammation and insulin resistance in the female reproductive system. This herb is also believed to be a great agent, when it comes to fixing the cellular imbalance in the body.
- Triphala: This is a medicine which has a combination of three herbs, i.e. Terminalia bellerica, Emblica Officinalis and Terminalia chebula. It is one of the classical formations of Ayurvedic medicine. Being rich in vitamin C and a natural antioxidant, they can effectively tackle free radicals and inflammation. Triphala is a great agent, when it comes to detoxification and cleansing of the whole system.
- Aloe barbadensis: This is also known as Aloe-Vera. It is known to be one of the very powerful herbs that can treat and manage PCOS. They can successfully regularize the menstrual cycle, normalize the imbalance of the hormone, and restore the ovary. They are great for the face both for treating acne and increasing the glow of the face.
It is suggested that before taking any medication, consult with ayurveda doctor for treatment of pcos in ayurveda and dosage of medications based on the symptoms and your medical history.