Is there anybody who is happy with their body? Definitely not! Almost everyone wants weight loss. While some want to reduce their overall weight, others are concerned about their thighs, arms, buttocks, and/or belly and get fat loss in these areas. The last couple of decades have seen a drastic change in the lifestyle of people. With more processed and refined items finding their way into each of our meals and physical activity drastically declining, the new epidemic is obesity. No germs causing it, but our foods.
Extensive research is being done to identify newer methods to manage obesity. The complicating issue is also that once lost, the chance of fat re-accumulation always exists. One such new technique is the ultrasonic lipolysis. This technique involves the use of ultrasound waves to kill the fat cells (lipo - fat, lysis - kill). This is a noninvasive method wherein localized fat deposits are reduced, thereby helping in fat loss especially in areas like the abdomen, hips, thighs, upper arm, and buttocks and resulting in further weight loss. This is an advanced technique available to patients who want to achieve weight loss and body contouring too.
How it Works?
The fat that is consumed through foods is digested but then accumulates under the skin. The accumulated fat is seen as fat globules or bubbles. These bubbles are difficult to break, but attract
more fat bubble formation and therefore fat accumulation continues over a period of time. After a detailed case history and examination, a customized programme is drawn that could be of 3 to 5 sessions spread over a period of one to two weeks.
During each session, heat waves of different wavelengths are applied to the area of fat deposition through fiber-optic lasers which start the process of fat loss. The sound energy gets converted into
mechanical energy which helps in bursting of the fat molecules. By a process known as emulsification, the larger fat cells are broken into smaller ones, almost to a liquid form, thereby reducing fat deposits.
Benefits of this include:
Earlier, liposuction was used, which would remove the fat leaving sagging skin behind. New research has shown that a combination of lipolysis and liposuction can produce the best results for fat loss. There is no sagging of the skin in these patients and as an added advantage, there is also skin firming indirectly when Lipolysis is done.
Studies have shown that obesity is linked to increased morbidity with higher incidence of cardiovascular disease, stroke, and paralysis. It is therefore, extremely essential that both women and men do all that is possible for weight loss and fight obesity.
Obesity is a serious health issue that has gripped the entire world. A huge chunk of the population is overweight. Usually, factors such as unhealthy eating habits and inactive lifestyles are behind the increasing rates of obesity. However, there is yet another reason behind obesity, which is often overlooked – the use of digital devices.
Will using digital devices make you fat?
Several studies have found that people who are addicted to digital devices like Smartphone, PlayStation tend to be more overweight than those who use these devices more moderately. It is strange that a Smartphone can make you obese because people usually download fitness and dietary apps on their phones in a bid to stay healthy. Here are a few basic reasons why your smart device may make you gain weight –
• People who use these devices for longer than five hours a day usually lead to sedentary lifestyles. Addiction to their devices makes them disinclined to live an active lifestyle. You will find them seated comfortably on their couches or reclining in beds, bingeing on a web series or determinedly playing a game online.
• Smartphone addiction also means people will want to spend considerable hours checking out updates or posting on social media platforms. If there is a gripping movie or a series that they want to return to, they will tend to skip a trip to the gym. Exercise can speed up your metabolism and burn those extra calories, thereby helping you stay in shape. Going without exercise for days on end will slowly result in a person piling on the kilos.
• Smart device addiction is also accompanied by a food craving. More often than not people like to munch on snacks while they watch a movie or a game on their phones. Unhealthy, greasy fast food or sugary drinks have a devastating effect on the human body. Like smart devices, you can become addicted to these foods. They re-engineer your brain to crave for more by suppressing the inhibitors present in your brain that prevent you from overeating.
• Smartphone has made food easily available. Even if the thought of rustling up a snack used to put you off eating, that deterrent has been eliminated. People download food-delivery apps on their phones and order food online, which will be brought to them in minutes.
• It destroys your sleep routine. A good night’s sleep is essential in myriad different ways. Quality sleep keeps you healthy, both physically and psychologically. Sleep deprivation can mess up your metabolism and that is the surest way to gain weight. Moreover, poor quality sleep for a sustained period can induce anxiety and stress. This mental state releases lots of cortisol – a hormone that can whet your hunger and make you binge-eat.
Digital devices are part of our lives and they are indeed beneficial in numerous ways. But it is important to learn to wield them in moderation for the sake of your own health.
Weight loss surgery or bariatric surgery is an effective treatment procedure for people, who are morbidly obese, i.e. a person weighing 100 pounds over his/her ideal body weight or having BMI (body mass index) higher than 40. One of the major reasons for the increasing trend of obesity is the overconsumption of unhealthy food. This combined with a lack of physical activity and a sedentary lifestyle leads to the accumulation of excess calories in the body.
In some cases, even if your BMI does not exceed 35, you still develop obesity-related health issues like diabetes and high blood pressure. In such an instance, the doctor may recommend bariatric surgery – a surgery shrinks the capacity of your stomach and re-routes your intestine. One such weight loss surgery is the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass – it involves the reduction of the upper portion of the stomach into a smaller pouch and connects it directly to the intestines. So, when you eat, the foods go into the smaller stomach and empties right into the small intestine. Because of your stomach’s reduced capacity, you do not feel compelled to eat more, thus resulting in weight loss.
Groundbreaking research into weight loss surgery reveals that people’s taste and preference alter following RYGB, which in turn, influences the surgery’s long-term success rates. A little experiment was conducted to establish the relation between the two. Participants were asked to point out to odour and food preferences prior to and after the RYGB surgery using the Self-Assessment Manikin (SAM) method. Volunteers in the assessment responded to foods associated with five different tastes – sour, sweet, bitter, salty, and savory (umami) – and four typical odours – coffee, banana, gasoline pump, and rose.
Surprisingly, a certain section of the people stated that before undergoing weight loss surgery, they had enjoyed hogging on junk foods like pizza, pasta, pastries, etc. However, after RYGB, the same kinds of food appeared unattractive and unappealing to them; in fact, these people have seen craving for healthy foods. For instance, 20% of the people admitted that their favorite food was a bowlful of green salad and vegetables. These people, who changed their taste preferences, also lost the maximum weight. Tricking the Taste Buds to Lose Weight
Certainly yes! But before we get to the tongue, let’s talk about the organ, which is responsible for detecting the flavors of food through smell. The greater the aroma, the more you crave. Considering how your taste buds function, here are a few ways you can trick your tongue into loving healthier foods –
• Flavour your low-fat meals with the freshest ingredients – lemon zest, parsley, and fresh basil adds flavour to any dish
• Pan-fry the food instead of frying it in oil. That way, you might just trick your taste bud into thinking that you are eating oily food when you are actually not. You can also follow a few hacks to neutralize your taste buds – pinch your nose as you drink or eat anything to neutralize the taste of the food. For example, if you have a bit of onion with eyes closed and nose plugged, it will taste like an apple
What diet is best for weight loss? Starving yourself to death is not the way to shed kilos. If you are looking to lose weight naturally, you need to cut down on unhealthy snacks and switch to a healthier diet. A low-carb, low-fat, and protein-rich diet is best for weight loss.
• Reduce intake of starch and sugar – cutting back on carbohydrates reduces your appetite, brings down the insulin level, and promotes weight loss without hunger pangs. Avoid eating whole-wheat grains and bread, starchy vegetables, sugary foods, legumes, and beans.
• Eat lots of protein, veggies, and healthy fat – Prepare each meal out of a fat source (avocado, coconut oil, olive oil), a protein source (eggs, meat, fish), and low-carb vegetables (broccoli, spinach, kale, lettuce, Brussels sprouts).
These fruits contain a higher number of calories and natural sugars, which may impede your weight loss goals. However, diet alone cannot help you lose weight. Exercise and certain lifestyle changes are essential too – getting enough sleep, giving up smoking, and drinking alcohol.
Updates From Lybrate: We hope this information was helpful to you. Moreover, you can also check out these weight loss products from Lybrate to support your weight loss journey.
Obesity is a condition characterized by the accumulation of large quantities of fat in the body. This condition drastically increases the risks of health problems. The most important cause for obesity is the intake of larger number of calories than what are usually burned through exercises or other routine activities. One with a BMI (Body Mass Index) more than 25 is considered obese. The primary ways of treating obesity are through exercising regularly and following a healthy diet.
How can Ayurveda help?
Ayurveda is a holistic system of medicine which is free from side effects, unlike conventional methods of treatment. Ayurvedic treatments focus on getting to the root cause of the disorder instead of just focusing on the symptoms. There are multiple remedies in Ayurveda that are effective in controlling obesity. They are:
Erectile Dysfunction is a disorder in males that refers the incapability to ‘get’ or ‘maintain’ an erection for intercourse. Many people refer to this condition as impotence. Some of the common symptoms are:
1. Difficulty in achieving an erection.
2. Inability to perform in bed as the person ejaculates way before orgasm and is not able to maintain an erection.
Causes of erectile dysfunction usually include:
2. Relationship Issues
5. Performance anxiety
6. Excessive consumption of alcohol
8. Enlarged prostate gland
Homeopathy offers a number of treatments for the symptoms of erectile dysfunction. It is a popular system of medicine that follows a holistic approach without any side effect. Homeopathy targets the underlying causes that lead to sexual incapacities in men and addresses the problem from its root.
If there is an excessive accumulation of fat within the human body than what is actually needed to perform certain functions ( that is more than 30% body fat in females and 25% in males), chances are you might be suffering from a chronic disorder called obesity or excessive weight gain.
Common causes for weight gain
There can be a lot of reasons which may cause you to gain extra kilos. If you lead a sedentary lifestyle, suffer from depression, PCOS (in women), consume fat-rich foods or junk foods excessively, it can also lead to weight gain.
The threat of obesity
Obesity is a major evil in the world today, as it is responsible for the deaths of millions all across the world. If not treated immediately, obesity can lead to further complications like heart disorders or asthma, among a plethora of problems.
Role of homeopathy in treating obesity
Homeopathy can provide an effective cure for obesity. However, you must keep in mind that the dosage should be followed up with the appropriate amount of physical exercises and a balanced diet and should be taken only after consulting with your homeopathic practitioner. The homeopathic preparations help in the stimulation of body metabolism to burn the excessive fat. The most effective homeopathic preparations to cure obesity are as follows:
1. Antimonium Crudum: This homeopathic preparation is effective in treating obesity in children or teenagers. The symptoms where this medication is prescribed are discolored nails, an abnormal craving for salt and extreme irritation. There can be appearances of thick white layers in the tongue among children suffering from the condition.
2. Nux Vomica: This homeopathic preparation provides an effective cure to obesity caused due to leading a sedentary lifestyle for a long time. If there are symptoms of chronic constipation or sensitivity towards cold weather, this preparation is highly recommended.
3. Lycopodium: If you are suffering from excessive weight gain in the thigh region or the buttock areas along with the symptoms of constipation, craving for sweet dishes among others, a prescribed dosage of Lycopodium might show marked improvement. Patients suffering from the condition might also show symptoms of irritation and sudden anger.
4. Ignatia: This homeopathic preparation is particularly useful in treating obesity caused due to depression. In this condition, the patient might also show symptoms of rapid mood changes.
5. Graphite: This homeopathic preparation is an effective cure for women suffering from obesity due to menopause. The affected woman might show symptoms of chronic constipation and extreme sensitivity towards cold air. From an emotional viewpoint, the woman might show symptoms of recurrent sadness.
If you are expecting a baby in the next couple of months and are worried about being overweight; don't fret, because you are not alone in the league. Half of the pregnant women across the world are overweight, if not obese. However, having to walk around with more weight than the recommended level is adversity for your pregnancy and can put you at high health risks. That is why you should consult your doctor and reduce those extra pounds right away.
There are certain health problems you can experience if you are overweight during your pregnancy term:
An excess amount of fat present in the human body can lead to a chronic condition called obesity. If the amount of fat, which is used to perform multiple functions in the human body, is found in excess (more than 25% in males and 30% in females), it leads to obesity. Besides being a cosmetic concern, obesity is a chronic disease that can lead to other serious ailments such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, gallstones and other similar illnesses. It has a higher rate of relapse rate and is difficult to treat.
A person is generally considered to be obese if his/her BMI (Body Mass Index) is above 30.
1. A person whose BMI is in the range of 30 to 35 is classified under “Type I obese”.
2. A person in the BMI range of 35 to 39 falls under the category of “Type II obesity”.
3. If the BMI of a person is above 40, he/she is considered to be extremely obese.
BMI is usually a reliable method to find out if a person is obese, but in certain instances such as that of a professional bodybuilder, BMI could prove to be inaccurate. Without treatment, obesity can lead to serious health conditions such as:
Blood vessels are normally hidden under the skin, but a common complaint of people who stand for long durations of time is the appearance of bluish veins on their legs. In most cases, these veins appear twisted and enlarged. This condition is known as varicose veins. Pregnant women also often suffer from this condition.
Causes of Varicose Veins:
Occupational: Standing long hours
Deep vein thrombosis: A condition which affects the valves of veins
It might get triggered during pregnancy and due to obesity
Apart from the appearance of veins, the patient may experience swelling of the calf muscles, cramps in the legs and a feeling of heaviness. If left untreated, it could result in the formation of varicose ulcers and other complications.
Homeopathy is a holistic form of treatment that is very effective when it comes to varicose veins. This form of the medication does not address only the symptoms but also takes into account the personality of the person and his or her overall health.
It helps to reduce pain, control further varicosity, reduces swelling. Homeopathy also helps significantly in the cases which have varicose ulcers. Homeopathic treatment is strongly recommended for all cases of varicose veins except for those which are truly surgical in nature.
Homeopathy treats this condition by stimulating the immune system and restorative processes in the body while strengthening the walls of the veins. It has negligible side effects, but should ideally be taken under a qualified homeopath doctor’s guidance.
Some homeopathic remedies used to treat varicose veins include the following:
Hamamelis: Hamamelis is the most popular homeopathic medicine used to treat varicose veins. This is prescribed in cases where the veins bleed and there is a feeling of tiredness. The patient may also feel the leg muscles becoming sore or bruised and suffer from inflamed varices.
Pulsatilla: This medicine is often prescribed to pregnant women suffering from varicose veins and in cases of varicose veins that are extremely painful. Some of the personality characteristics taken into account when prescribing Pulsatilla is intolerance to heat and thirstlessness.
Calcarea: Painless cases of varicose veins are often treated with Calcarea. However, there may be a burning sensation in the varicose veins. The patient, in such cases, is usually obese, but malnourished and sweats excessively though his/her hands and feet stay cold.
Graphites: Varicose veins that are excessively itchy can be treated with Graphites. It is also effective in cases where the patient suffers from cramps in the legs and other skin problems. Patients who benefit from Graphites for varicose vein treatment are often obese and suffer from constipation.
Arnica: Arnica is often used to treat varicose veins that are sore and bruised. In such cases, the patient’s legs may also have blue–black discolouration and they may appear as if they had been beaten. Any kind of exertion aggravates the symptoms.