Lactose intolerance is a condition wherein you are not able to digest lactose, which is a sugar found in milk. Other foods that contain lactose include cheese and ice-cream. Inadequate production of the lactase enzyme in children causes lactose intolerance. This enzyme is produced in the intestine that helps in the digestion of lactose.
Lactose intolerance is often confused with milk intolerance. The symptoms are similar but they do not share the same cause. Milk allergy is an adverse reaction towards milk and it is a problem of the immune system, whereas lactose intolerance involves the digestive system.
The symptoms of lactose intolerance are:
Bloating; on consumption of milk over a period of time
Diarrhea is also very common
It is self -diagnosable; just strike out foods containing lactose from your child’s diet and see if the symptoms get better with time. If the symptoms happen to fade away gradually, then it certainly must’ve been lactose intolerance.
However, it can be tricky as many non-dairy products also contain lactose.
If the child is lactose intolerant, then he/she might have to undergo a lactose breath test. This is used to test the levels of hydrogen in the child’s breath after the child consumes a lactose solution. Usually, hydrogen levels are low in one’s breath. However, if the lactose solution is not digested properly, then it will lead to a temporary increase in the levels of hydrogen in the breath, thus indicating lactose intolerance.
This disorder does not have a cure; so in case your child has lactose intolerance, you need to adjust his/her diet accordingly. Over-the-counter lactase is also available that helps in digesting lactose-based foods. You can also go for the ‘lactose- free’ milk variety for your child.
Both natural and homeopathic remedies can efficiently deal with lactose intolerance, and thus you should check the reports of the patient for finding the best solution. You can choose any of these remedies or else can continue with both.
List of homeopathic medicines for treating lactose intolerance
- Aethusa Cynapium: The medicine helps in the digestion of milk so that unwanted stomach aches can be easily avoided. On the other hand, health condition of the kids can also be improved to a great extent using this medicine. Loose tools or green-colour diarrhea due to dairy products can be prevented with care.
- Apis Mellifica: milk allergies can be easily cured with this medicine and thus kids are often prescribed the drug by a homeopathic expert. A few symptoms are found in kids due to lactose intolerance like breathing difficulty, body itchiness, redness, swelling, skin rashes and others. All these symptoms can be treated by this homeopathy medicine.
- China Officinalis: This medicine is mainly prescribed to those kids for whom Apis Mellifica is not the suitable one. Flatulence, belching and bloating can be properly controlled or regulated by taking this drug regularly. Excessive mucus formation, chest's rattling sound and excessive coughing might occur with dairy intolerance and these symptoms might get severe. This is the reason the doctors often prescribe this medicine as the best option.
A few natural remedies for treating lactose intolerance
- Probiotics: These are specialized bacteria that not only help in improving digestion, but proper nourishment can also be gained.
- Coconut milk: This is now considered as one of the leading substitutes for different dairy products.
- Apple-cider vinegar: Lactose intolerance signs can be completely eradicated along with the maintenance of body balance by consuming apple cider vinegar regularly. This is a natural product, and thus you can take the same regularly without taking a doctor's permission.
- Fermented products: Kimchi and Sauerkraut are those fermented foods that can create helpful bacteria as a result of which the gut can be re-populated and digestive system can be regulated. The symptoms will get reduced slowly with the consistent intake of these foods.
- Yoghurt: This can be taken with meals as it is enriched with beneficial bacteria that can help in digesting different other dairy products. With the consumption of yoghurt, Lactose can be broken down naturally, and on the other hand, digestion can be improved.
Allergy is characterised by a hypersensitive immune system giving rise to various physical problems like asthma, respiratory problems, skin rashes, etc. The best way to prevent allergies is to stay away from allergens, be it specific food, dust, pollen, or something else.
However, it is not always possible to stay away from allergens. This calls for an allergy cure. There are medicines that help bring down the severity of symptoms. One can also get allergy shots to stay away from allergies. However, Ayurveda in combination with modern medicinal treatment can be a very good option for preventing allergy and also treating symptoms.
Ayurvedic Perspective of Allergy:
The Ayurvedic perspective of allergy entails low immunity and presence of toxins in the body. This calls for enhancing immunity, removing toxins, and also improving the digestive system to prevent and treat allergies. Improving the digestive system and removing toxins too work to fortify the immune system.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Allergy:
Ayurvedic treatment for allergy revolves around deciding the type of allergy and remedies associated with it. According to Ayurveda, the imbalance of three biological factors, namely: Vata, Pitta, and Kapha, is responsible for any disease including allergy. Various allergens precipitate this imbalance. This is why allergies can be divided into various types, namely Vata type allergy, Kapha type allergy, and Pitta type allergy. Panchkarma is effective in cleansing the body and other Ayurvedic therapies like Udvartana and Abhyangam are also done to detoxify the body.
The Vata Type Allergy:
Treatment of Vata Type Allergy:
Kapha Type Allergy:
Kapha type allergies owe their origin to humid conditions. The symptoms usually worsen during the spring and in warm weather. The patient may have clear or cloudy mucus and problems with digestion.
Treatment of Kapha Type Allergy:
Half a teaspoon of liquorice mixed in a glass of lukewarm water after a meal can bring down symptoms. One can also take half a teaspoon of Sitopaladi with honey three times a day to soothe the symptoms. A liquefied diet of vegetables and fruits can also be helpful in fighting the symptoms.
Pitta Type Allergy:
These types of allergies can precipitate a feeling of burning in eyes, loose stools, skin rashes, etc. The conditions may worsen in the summer.
Treatment of Pitta Type Allergy:
Inhaling coconut oil twice or thrice a day can offer relief. Neem leaf extract made into tea may also help in fighting the symptoms. Half a teaspoon turmeric powder mixed in a cup of warm milk can alleviate such allergy symptoms to a large extent.
Ayurveda can help alleviate various allergy symptoms. Various herbs such as licorice, aloe vera, Cayenne, milk thistle, olive oil, rosemary, turmeric, garlic, butterbur, etc. have excellent potential in healing various allergic symptoms. Ayurvedic medicines also available contain these herbs and help cut allergies. However, it is always a great idea to consult an ayurvedic practitioner before purchasing or going for these herbal medicines.