Constipation is a very irritating condition as it doesn't let you feel refreshed and lethargy takes you over. The condition is defined as the one in which the affected person has dry and hard stools with less than three bowel movements every week. In severe conditions, the bowel movements are reduced to one per week. It is one of the most common gastrointestinal problems that people face these days as a result of their unhealthy food habits and sedentary lifestyle.
Here are some natural laxatives, which are easily available in your kitchen and prove to be very effective in eliminating constipation:
1. Baking soda: Baking soda is an effective cure for gas, pressure and pain in the digestive tract, and stomach ache as excessive air is released from the body by its action. It also functions as a laxative by making the passage of accumulated waste products through the intestines a smooth process. Moreover, stools are loosened and passed without pain on its consumption.
Directions: Take a quarter cup of warm water and stir a teaspoon of baking soda into it. Consume the mixture as quickly as you can.
2. Oatmeal Tea: When the condition is severe, it is the best alternative. Oatmeal is fibrous, Honey is healing and moisturizing, and Chamomile is an anti-inflammatory agent which soothes the stomach. Together, they can stop severe constipation. So, take a cup of water and add three teaspoons of oatmeal, a Chamomile tea bag and two teaspoons of honey. Drink 2-3 times a day if your problem is severe.
3. Coconut Oil and Flaxseed: A great combination, coconut oil is a wonderful hydrating agent and eases stools. Flaxseeds help in the elimination of toxins, excess fat and cholesterol from the body.
Directions: In one tablespoon of coconut oil, add half a teaspoon of flaxseeds, chew well and eat this every morning.
4. Lemon: Lemon contains citric acid, which has the ability to stimulate the function of digestion in your body. The action of lemon on your digestive system enables it to get rid of the toxins and undigested material that generally accumulates on the colon's (the last part of your small intestine) walls, giving rise to constipation as a result.
Directions: Collect the juice of 1 lemon in a cup by squeezing it. Fill the rest of the cup with warm water. Drink it every morning.
5. Aloe vera: Besides acting as a remedy for minor burns and cuts, aloe vera gel also helps soothe your stomach. It functions as a natural laxative by making your stool softer. Moreover, it aids in protein digestion and makes the muscular structure of your intestines stronger, consequently providing relief from constipation.
Directions: Have 2 tablespoons of aloe gel every morning by mixing it with your glass of fruit juice, or consume 1 cup of aloe vera juice whenever you feel constipated.