Jaundice or hyperbilirubinemia is a medical condition that is caused by the high level of bilirubin in the system of a person. It is not a disease in itself but a symptom of various underlying illnesses such as malaria, hepatitis, infection of the liver, destruction of red blood cells or some other causes. It manifests in the form of discoloration of the skin. It turns yellow and so does the white parts of the eyes. The signs and symptoms of jaundice are, yellow skin and whites of the eyes, loss of appetite, weakness, drowsiness, dark colored urine, and fever. Jaundice is diagnosed by physical examination, blood test, or skin test. It can be cured by diet management and allopathic medicines. However, the latter are harsh by nature and if one seeks gentler remedies then Ayurveda is the answer. It has many effective remedies to cure jaundice (pilia) of roots and give quick and lasting relief.
So, here are some such remedies.
- Aloe vera: This Ayurvedic herb is a gentle cleanser that detoxifies the kidneys and liver of the toxins accumulated in the system. It improves the overall digestive functions of the body and is a great tonic for the digestive system. It can be consumed in the form of juice or its pulp can be taken with water.
- Bhumyamalaki (Phyllanthus Niruri): A comprehensive liver tonic, bhumyalaki is effective in all kinds of liver disorders. It gives relief in case of all the symptoms of jaundice. Being anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-spasmodic, it cures the liver of infections and also treats the dysfunction.
- Yakrit Plihantak Churna: A mixture of beneficial herbs such as kalmegh, katuki, bhringaraj, bhumi amla and others, this churna is a complete medicine for liver disorders. It reduces inflammation and also flushes out the toxins accumulated in the body. It also restores the health of the liver by boosting the regeneration of liver cells.
- Changeri (Indian Sorrel): This is helpful in curing symptoms of low appetite and poor digestion. It stimulates digestion and also helps in proper bowel movement.
- Chichinda (Snake Gourd): Effective in detoxification and improving the digestive system, chichinda is a rich source of nutrients needed by the human body. It boosts the immune system and also removes worms from the intestines. A natural diuretic, it increases urine secretion, thereby, helping the body get rid of toxins. It can be consumed in the form of juice or taken in mashed form after boiling.
- Karela (bitter gourd): A natural cleanser, karela improves the filtration functions of the liver. Being an anti-oxidant, it also restores the immunity of the body, thereby, helping it recover fast.
Ayurveda believes that jaundice or pilia is caused by pitta dosha in the human body and all these remedies work to correct this dosha. Along with these natural remedies, Ayurveda also prescribes plenty of water intake and fluids and abstinence from oily and spicy food as they are known to aggravate the pitta dosha. So, one should follow these instructions and also, take the advice of an Ayurvedic practitioner before taking these remedies.