A number of worms/parasites can infest the stomach and intestines. Children are more prone, and contract them by ingesting uncooked foods or fruits, contact with animals, playing in soil, or even unhygienic water.
The most common worms include pinworm, threadworms, roundworms, whipworms, hookworm, and tapeworm.
Signs and Symptoms
Whatever the type of worm, the symptoms are more or less the same and include the following:
- Allergies: When worm infestation happens, there could be blisters on the body and the oral mucous membranes and food sensitivity can occur.
- Anemia: The parasites growing inside the stomach suck out nutrition from the food, and therefore the body is deprived of essential nutrition. It could lead to severe anemia in some cases.
- Altered bowel movement: While some organisms produce constipation by blocking the colon, others result in diarrhea which is body’s way of removing harmful substances from the body
- Fatigue: Needless to say, all this results in extreme fatigue and dehydration for the infested person.
- Abdominal bloating: The parasites produce gas, which produces a gassy, bloated sensation
- Altered immune function: As most parasites induce an allergic reaction, there is an increased amount of immunoglobulin A in the circulation.
- Other: Restlessness, dark circles under the eyes, bedwetting, headaches and light sensitivity.
Some of the most popular homeopathic remedies are listed below and aim at strengthening the child’s overall health. As always, the child will be asked thoroughly for all symptoms and then a remedy identified.
- Cina: Very useful for all types of worm, it is the most popular remedy. The child is irritable, angry, has a pale appearance with rings around the eyes. When asked more, there will be teeth grinding (bruxism) at night, may have had convulsions, crying at night, nose picking, extreme hunger, milky urine, bluish discoloration around the mouth.
- Calcarea: The child is usually fat, flabby child with a strong appetite and craving for things like chalk, coal, and pencils. There is aversion to dairy products and meat. There will be a crawling feeling in the rectum and anus. There is profuse sweating from the head, causing a wet pillow.
- Spigelia: The child will have a pale face, blue rings around the eyes, tendency to faint, nauseating sensation, and pain around the navel. Stool with mucus and worms are an indication for using Spigelia.
- Caladium: The worm travels from the perineum to the vagina and causes the girls to constantly itch around the vagina
- Teucrium: Used in pinworm infestation, where there is a lot of irritation in the rectum. A thin dilution or tincture of this medication is used.
- Indigo: Very effective in roundworms. The child is usually melancholic, has intense pain around the bellybutton, and may have had convulsions. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopathic.