Are you aware of the function of appetite hormones in your body? Appetite hormones or hunger hormones are the hormones which are responsible for making you feel hungry, and also account for a decreased appetite, which is common for all of us at times.
Leptin and Ghrelin are the two primary appetite hormones, which are produced in your body.
Ghrelin is your body’s appetite increasing hormone, which gets released in the stomach. It is responsible for signaling hunger to your brain. It is said that the ghrelin levels in your body play an important role in how quickly you feel hungry after having a meal. Usually, the ghrelin levels increase before you eat. This signifies that you are hungry. They go down for almost three hours after your meal. It is believed that ghrelin plays a more important role in the regulation of your body weight, which is a much more complex procedure.
Among the two appetite hormones, leptin accounts for being the appetite suppressing hormone. It is considered to play a more important role than ghrelin in maintaining the energy balance of your body. It is also believed that leptin is responsible for the regulation of ghrelin. Leptin helps in signaling the brain that your body has enough energy in the form of body fat. It is considered that the more fat you have, the more amount of leptin is present in your blood. However, the level varies based on factors such as when you took your last meal, and your sleeping patterns.
How to control your hunger hormones?
There are certain ways by which you can control your appetite hormones. It can be done primarily by avoiding food items that contain high fat. When you eat, messages are transmitted to several parts of your body, indicating that you have had enough. While consuming fatty food, this system does not send messages as effectively. Consuming fat makes you consume more calories, which in turn lets you store fat and gain fat.
It has been proven that either a diet which is rich in good carbohydrates or a diet which is high in protein, suppresses your ghrelin production more effectively than a high fat diet. It is important for you to get proper sleep for controlling your appetite hormones. Studies prove that sleep deprivation is associated with an increase in your ghrelin levels, appetite, and hunger, compared to people who get 10 hours sleep on a regular basis.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age. Polycystic means “many cysts,” and PCOS often causes clusters of small, pearl-sized cysts in the ovaries. The cysts are fluid-filled and contain immature eggs. PCOS affects one in 4 women.
What are the causes behind it?
While the exact cause of PCOS is unknown, doctors believe that hormonal imbalances and genetics play a role. Women are more likely to develop PCOS if their mother or sister also has the condition.
Overproduction of the hormone androgen may be another contributing factor. Androgen is a male sex hormone that women’s bodies also produce.
PCOS is a syndrome disease defined by a collection of signs and symptoms. The symptoms of PCOS that one patient experiences can be very different from the symptoms of another patient. If you have two or more of the following symptoms, you need to have a thorough checkup to determine if you need PCOS treatment:
Does PCOS increase weight?
The answer is a ‘YES’. Most PCOS patients are overweight and are asked to exercise which helps control the symptoms but a lot many people have a completely normal body type.
What are the risks associated with PCOS-related weight gain?
No matter what the cause, weight gain can be detrimental to your health. Women with PCOS are more likely to develop many of the problems associated with weight gain and insulin resistance, including:
Benefit of Weight Loss with PCOS
Modest weight loss will not cure PCOS, but it will help. Weight loss can restore the normal function of the ovaries and result in normal hormone production. This may, in turn, lead to improvements in symptoms of PCOS, such as excess hair growth, acne or scalp hair loss.
Polycystic ovarian disease - It is a common female endocrine disorder occurring in reproductive age group from 15 to 45 years. It affects 1 in every 5 women. Insulin resistance is central to the pathogenesis of pcos and indians are known to have high prevalence of insulin resistence
Three main features of pcos:
If you have atleast two of these features you may be diagnosed of pcos
Signs and symptoms:
Pcos is associated with an increased risk of developing metabolic problems like -
What causes pcos?
Exact cause is not known, it may have a multifactorial cause like insulin resistance, hormonal imbalance, genetics
Resistance to insulin - Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas to control the amount of sugar in the blood. It helps to move glucose from blood to the cells where it is broken down to produce energy.
Insulin resistance means body’s tissues are resistance to the effects of insulin. The body therefore has to produce extra insulin to compensate.
High levels of insulin cause ovaries to produce too much testosterone, which interferes with the development of the follicles and prevents normal ovulation.
Insulin resistance can also lead to weight gain which can make pcos symptoms worse, because having excess fat causes the body to produce even more insulin
Hormone imbalance - Many women with pcos are found to have an imbalance in certain hormones that includes increased estrogen, decreased fsh, decreased progesterone, increased lh, increased testosterone, low levels of shbg, raised levels of prolactin. The exact reason is why these hormonal changes occur is not known. It’s been suggested that problem may start in the ovary itself, in other glands that produce these hormones or in the part of the brain that controls their production. The changes may also be caused by the resistance to insulin
Genetics - Sometimes pcos runs in families.
Pcos can’t be cured but the symptoms can be managed
Life style changes
Hormones are the body's chemical messengers. They travel in the bloodstream to tissues and organs. Hormones are produced in a complex process and depend on beneficial nutrients.iImbalanced hormones can destroy health even if everything else is optimized.
Hormonal balance is vital to a healthy mind and body. For glowing skin, balanced mind and constant energy hormones need to be in place. Hormones don't go out of balance for no reason. Some of the common reasons can be:
1. Stress - Stress can cause many health problems & hormone problems are no different . Stress is causing too much cortisol production which leads to anxiety and imbalance hormones ,
3. Excess Weight - Excess weight leads to excess estrogen, many men with excess abdominal weight will be high in estrogen.
4. Alcohol - Excess alcohol will lead to lower testosterone. Moreover consumption of alcohol impair our ability to lose weight .
5. Lack of Sleep - If there is lack of sleep or there is too many late night parties can bring negative impact on hormones. In Fact studies have shown that people who slept less than five to six hours per night were twice as likely to develop diabetes .
6. Plastic Containers - Plastic and plastic container contains compound called BPA which disturb the hormonal balance. If you microwave food or store food in plastic container it will leach chemicals right into your food .
7. Xenoestrogens - These are man-made toxins. The xenoestrogens wreak havoc on internal balancing mechanism of the body. These are found in household cleanser, cosmetics, personal care products, nail polish n nail polish remover, plastic, Tupperware and so on.
8. Birth Control Pills - This Pill is hormonal therapy that raises estrogen and cause imbalance . Moreover it increases the risk of breast cancer and become more dangerous if these pills taken by teenagers .
NATURALLY- Hormonal fluctuation occur naturally at the time of puberty, pregnancy, menopause and with ageing!
So following are some natural ways to balance your hormones.
1. Get More Sleep - While you are sleeping body is extremely active removing toxins, recharging the mind and creating hormones.So adequate sleep is crucial for balancing the hormones.
2. Walk In Nature - Walking in nature has been shown to reduce cortisol level( a stress hormone) and boost the immune system . Chronic cardio like jogging , running , spinning ,aerobic classes places undue stress on the body and spike stress hormones.
3. Limit Refined Oils - Refined oils or man-made fats found in vegetable oils as they can create imbalance in the ratio of omega-3 and omega 6 which should be 1:1.
4. Limit Soy And Soy Products - Soy is the most controversial food in the world. Nothing is proved as yet but they may disturb the hormones so limit its intake and cook it don't use them raw.
5. Eliminate Toxic Kitchen - Limit or boycott plastic and try to use stainless steel and iron vessels to cook.
6. Improve Gut Health - A research shows that gut health plays a significant role in hormone regulations.so increase the probiotic in your diet.
7. Incorporate Herbs - Ayurveda prescribes the use of herbal formulation to combat the ill effects of hormone imbalance effect of hormone imbalance Herbs such as Shatavari, Ashwagandha, Neem, etc. known to have hormone balancing properties.
8. Stop Birth Control Pills - Don't take them as they can play a significant role in disturbing hormones and can one of the main reason for breast cancer.
9. Practice Yoga Postures - Yoga can help to nourish and rebuild these hormonal imbalances. Plenty of postures are helpful but Rabbit posture and forward seated posture are really helpful.
10. Meditation And Pranayama - Yoga breathing exercises and meditation can be a big help when talk about balancing hormones. The meditation is said to strengthen the endocrine system and the nervous system.
The Value of cupping therapy as a treatment in present day medication
Cupping therapy pulls toxins, pathogenic elements, blood poison, dead lymph and cell flotsam and jetsam from profound inside the tissues to the surface. These crippling operators are then more effortlessly removed from the body. The stores disseminate from a couple of hours up to a little while, contingent upon the measure of stagnation and the patients post treatment exercises. The nature of the pathogenic components changes as indicated by the seriousness of the patient's blood stasis; which associates with the nature, seriousness and sort of condition they have. It can show up from a light pink to a dim purple, yet is normally a shade of red. Regularly modest raised knocks will show up. In some cases a reasonable liquid will be attracted to the surface. These are largely consequences of sickness and toxins being expelled from profound inside the tissues. For the most part, the expert will see the best measure of stores being attracted to the surface in the initial couple of medicines. The stores will decrease in force as the more profound issues are settled and the stagnations and toxins have been dug up and flushed out by means of the bodys' own circulatory frameworks, removal from the pores and sweat.
Although the marks look painful, they are not. Patients usually feel an immediate sense of relief.
Keywords: Cupping therapy, Toxins
Since antiquated occasions, complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) have assumed a critical job in human wellbeing and welfare. Cupping treatment gets its name from the cups that are utilized to convey the treatment. Cupping has turned out to be progressively accessible to general society in the ongoing years. "Cupping Therapy is an old restorative treatment that depends after making a nearby suction to assemble blood stream with the end goal to advance mending". Cupping is a conventional idea thought to help in medicinal conditions and has turned out to be progressively more famous in specific situations. It is as yet drilled in country zones as it was rehearsed a huge number of years back, yet as of late has been recognized in the western culture. Cupping treatment is rehearsed worldwide and among various societies to oversee pain and other medical issues. Pain can be enduring and consistent with the patient inclination inconvenience, trouble and frequently anguish if the seriousness is high. Pain that can't be overseen by customary restorative consideration, is the most widely recognized explanation behind looking for remedial options in contrast to traditional medication and the more serious the torment, the more incessant is the utilization of such treatments.
DEFINITION OF CUPPING THERAPY
Cupping therapy is therapy of alternative traditional medicine. Due to utilization of cups, it is called as cupping therapy. Hijama is alternative name of cupping therapy. It is Arabic word, which means ‘to suck’.
HISTORY OF CUPPING THERAPY
There is reason to trust the practice dates from as right on time as 3000 BC. The Ebers Papyrus , composed 1550 BC and one of the most established therapeutic course readings in the Western world, portrays the Egyptians ' utilization of cupping, while at the same time making reference to comparable practices utilized by Saharan Peoples. In ancient Greece, Hippocrates (400 BC) utilized cupping for interior malady and basic issues. The method was profoundly suggested by Muhammad and henceforth very much drilled by Muslim researchers who explained and built up the technique further. Continuously, this method in its various structures spread into medication all through Asian and European human advancements. In China, the most punctual utilization of cupping that is recorded is from the popular Taoist chemist and botanist, GeHong (281-341 A.D.).
AIMS AND OBJECTIVE
Cupping treatment ends up prevalent day by days. Many physicians interested to practise this therapy. But very short information they fear to practise. Keeping this fact in mind this article is written to provide basic information of cupping therapy to all research scholar and physicians.
METHODS OF CUPPING
Cupping can be wet or dry. In dry cupping cups are set on flawless skin and the point is to just expel blood and liquid from the site of aggravation to the surface of the skin. Wet cupping, otherwise called phlebotomy, is the point at which mini incisions are made with an exceptional sort of lancet on the locale of the skin where the cup is connected.
The point is to evacuate shallow blood that streams into the cup which is believed to be brimming with poisonous and harmful substances. Cupping is performed by making a vacuum in the cup set on the skin by either applying a warmed cup on the skin which devours the air inside it (fire cupping) or by utilizing a suction pump (suction cupping). In flame cupping the expert may utilize a cup made of glass, metal or wood (bamboo). The cups are then warmed by consuming liquor splashed cotton inside the cups. The cup is then set looked down level on the skin as the warmth makes suction on the skin. Suction cupping utilizes a suction pump to direct the let some circulation into of the cup after it is connected to the skin.
DURATION OF CUPPING
The cups are left in place anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes depending on the nature of the individual’s condition. However duration of cups left may vary patient to patient and severity of the disease.
A general course of treatment involves four to six sessions in intervals starting from 7 to 15 day gaps.
INDICATIONS OF CUPPING THERAPY
1. Musculoskeletal and autoimmune disorders: Cupping can eliminate pain causing substances, prostaglandins, inflammatory mediators and cytokines.
2. Cardiovascular diseases: Cupping eliminates excess intravascular fluids, excess lipids, vasoconstrictors and aetiology concerning substances.
3. Gynaecological disorders:
4. Haematological disorders: Cupping clears blood from fragments of haemolysed cells, liberated Hb, excess iron
5. Dermatological disorders: Cupping clears toxic blood from fragments of abnormally high IgE and other diseases
6. Endocrinal/metabolism disorders: Cupping eliminates accumulated substrates and metabolites from body and induces blood clearance; induce immunity boosting and pharmacological potentiation.
7. Neuropsychiatric disorders: Cupping removes pain causing substances, prostaglandins and aetiological concerning fluids from the body.
8. Respiratory and ENT disorders: Cupping removes pathology concerning substances and boost immunity.
9. Gastrointestinal disorders:
CONTRAINDICATION OF CUPPING THERAPY
SIDE EFFECTS OF CUPPING THERAPY
This particular method of wet cupping is a specialty treatment and must be performed by trained and qualified Unani physician.
Cupping therapy treatment allows the practitioner to determine with the aid of suction cups whether the position of the symptoms is the true location of the disease. Additionally, we can detect which organ is defective and in need of treatment. With the many forms of cupping therapy health care provider should review the literature and make their selection of cupping method and points based on treatment studies.