A spinal disk has a soft, jellylike centre (nucleus) encased in a tougher, rubbery exterior (annulus). Sometimes called a slipped disk or a ruptured disk, a herniated disk occurs when some of the nucleus pushes out through a tear in the annulus.A herniated disk, which can occur in any part of the spine, can irritate a nearby nerve. Depending on where the herniated disk is, it can result in pain, numbness or weakness in an arm or leg. Many people have no symptoms from a herniated disk. Surgery is usually not necessary to relieve the problem.
Discs uni formally distribute the body weight. It has got three-part the disc plate, nucleus and fibrous. Because of some undue pressure at a particular part of the disc, some or all cartilage fibres rupture and the nucleus bulges out. In advanced grade, this bulged out part may compress a corresponding nerve root. Due to compression, patients may experience radiating pain in the legs.
The most common site of a disc bulge is between L4-5 and L5-S1.
Through holistic corrective programme bulged out part retracts back leaving the pressure on the nerve.
The treatment has become successful because of unique muscle spasm release techniques and spinal decompression.
The disc is 84% gelatinous with the water-absorbing property. On decompression, it swells up and bulged out part retracts back and leaves the pressure on the nerve root.
As a final result, patients get complete relief in pain in the leg and also low back pain is permanently relieved.
This is the best-known treatment to date. According to a study done at KBMS Institute, more than 85% of patients get quick and permanent relief through this Holistic Corrective Programme (HCP).
A herniated disc also known as a slipped disc or prolapsed disc refers to the problem where one of the discs located in between the bones of the vertebrae(backbone) gets damaged and stacks itself upon the nerves. The tender inner portion of the disc gets protruded over the outer ring. Herniated disc causes severe neck pain and back pain. It occurs when the outer ring gets weak and tears down. The most common symptoms include pain and numbness, especially on one side of the body. The pain extends down to the arms and legs. It worsens during nighttime. The muscles become weak. Overweight people are likely to have this disease, as the discs carry extra weight. Old people are vulnerable to a slipped disc.
Effects of Herniated Disc:
- An untreated case of herniated disc may cause permanent damage to the nerves.
- In certain cases, a herniated disc is capable of cutting off nerve impulses to the "caudal equine"nerves, present in the lower back and legs. This leads to loss of bladder control or bowel control.
- Saddle anaesthesia is another long-term effect. Nerves are compressed by the slip disc, causing loss of sensation in the inner portions of your thighs, the back of your legs and surrounding the rectum region.
- Symptoms may improve or worsen.
Diagnosis of Herniated Disc:
Treatment or diagnosis of a herniated disc or slip disc can be either conservative or surgical in nature. The nature of the treatment is determined according to your discomfort level and the kind of pain you are experiencing, or how much the disc has slipped out.
- The pain caused by herniated disc can be relieved by undertaking an exercise schedule which includes stretching and strengthening the spine and its surrounding muscles.
- A physiotherapist should be appointed for recommending the types of exercises.
- Taking pain relievers also soothes the pain.
- Stronger medicines prescribed by doctors include muscle relaxers, narcotics to deal with the pain, medicines for nerve pain such as "gabapentin" or "duloxetine".
- In case of the symptoms not subsiding within a span of six weeks, surgery may be recommended by your doctor. The surgeon may have to remove the damaged part of the disc. This surgery is called a microdiscectomy.