Dry scalp is a distressing condition which is characterized by persistent irritation on the scalp. There is a constant sensation of itching, which can also be accompanied by chronic dandruff and hair loss. Causes of dry scalp are numerous of which use of harsh chemical products on hair is the most commonly implicated cause. Dehydration of the body or excessive washing of hair, skin infections affecting the scalp can also cause a dry scalp.
Ayurvedic remedies are beneficial in treating a dry scalp condition. Most commonly used effective remedies according to the Ayurvedic science are as follows:
1. Coconut oil – This oil has various applications in treating a variety of skin diseases. It moisturizes the scalp and helps to hydrate it. Also, its antibacterial properties help to reduce the risk of skin infections. Coconut oil can be applied directly on hair 30 to 40 minutes prior to shampooing and then washed with a mild shampoo. It nourishes the scalp and also makes the hair shiny.
2. Tea tree oil – This oil has various benefits, since it acts as an antibiotic and antifungal. It helps to relieve the symptoms of dry scalp by removing the excess oil off. Since it is an essential oil, tea tree oil should be used with a carrier oil like coconut oil. Massaging it on the scalp and leaving it for 10-15 minutes is recommended.
3. Aloe vera – This plant has various medicinal benefits and it is used for treating numerous skin and hair infections. It is an anti-inflammatory agent, which helps to soothe irritated skin or itching. It is also an excellent moisturizer that hydrates the scalp. Pure extract of Aloevera can be applied directly on the scalp and left for some time, after which it can be rinsed.
4. Olive oil – Olive has a moisturizing effect on the scalp. It nourishes the dehydrated scalp and helps to cure the dryness. It can be applied few minutes before a bath and cleansed with a mild shampoo.
5. Yogurt – It has an exfoliating effect on the scalp. It soothes the irritated and dried skin on the scalp and hydrates it. It is applied 30 minutes before washing hair.
6. Egg – The white portion of an egg is rich in proteins and this protein content is beneficial for improving the overall health of the scalp. Egg white should be applied on the scalp 10 minutes before washing. It should be cleaned thoroughly since it can leave odor on the scalp if not washed off adequately.
Treatment of the dry scalp with the use of these home remedies is effective and risk free. To prevent an allergic reaction, a patch test should be done on the skin before using any product on the scalp. Dry scalp should be treated at the earliest, since constant dryness can cause scratching and even lead to hair loss. If the dryness of scalp is accompanied with a fungal infection, then anti-fungal should be taken as prescribed by the physician.
Avoid using a blow-dryer to wet your hair as healthy hair do not respond well to heat. In case it is important to use it, minimize the temperature and limit the usage to once a week.
Maintaining your hair is probably one of the most tiresome things because hair needs a lot of attention, and if you choose to ignore it, it gets all messy and scruffy, thus making it all the more difficult for you to maintain it any further.
There may be many gels and lotions in the markets that promise you the best and most shiny hair, but you know better because all of us have been there. The moment you stop using the gels, your hair turns into a larger version of a swallow's nest and you are left with the eternally perplexing question, what should you do to your hair to maintain your health. Well, we thought we could help you with these hacks.
Comb wet hair with a lot of care and as much time as they require. The reason for this is that wet hairs are very fragile and are prone to damage. They can break pretty easily. So experts suggest you comb them from their roots with a comb that has widely spaced teeth.
Every 6-8 weeks, trim the outermost edges of your hair. This will help you avoid split-ends and also keep your hair in fairly good shape. Also trimming may help you cut out the grey hair that is likely to show itself distinctly if not taken care of.
If you use conditioners for your hair, make sure that you wash it off using cold water. Cold water helps your hair avoid shocks that can otherwise be felt because of the hot water. Thus it is safe to say that cold water helps your hair maintain its strength in such conditions.
Sulphate shampoos have made their way in the markets recently and their popularity has surged to quite an extent. Sulphates clean your scalp of all the dirt but at the same time they also wash off all the essential oils in your hair, so experts suggest that sulphate-free shampoos should be used as much as possible.
If you have dry hair, it is suggested that you avoid colouring your hair. The reason for this is the fact that dry hairs are likely to get damaged to a great extent if you dye them.
Finally, do not do anything that would impart heat to your hair, like straightening or ironing them. Heat damages your hair in the worst manner.
If you follow these simple tricks and tips, there is a good chance that your hair may seem to be all the more wonderful and better than ever, and make every day of yours a good hair day!
Everyone desires healthy glowing skin but a certain amount of effort and dedication is needed to achieve that. With a suitable skin care routine, you also need to eat right and maintain a healthy lifestyle to flaunt that inner glow. Making sure that your skin is safe, considering the pollution and free radicals you expose your skin too, is also important.
Knowing the answers to certain questions can really benefit your skin. Read on to find out the most important questions you should definitely keep in mind on your next visit to the dermatologist.
1. Do you have any symptoms of sun damage: Sunspots are the most common signs of overexposure to sunlight which can be easily noticed if they are on your face, hands or legs. But there are areas of your body which might be affected and are not visible like back, ear, and feet. Get your dermatologist to check your skin for any signs. Because negligence can lead to skin cancer.
2. Why are you breaking out frequently: Instead of applying numerous anti-acne products and trying out home remedies, it is better to seek guidance from a dermatologist. There can be various reasons for acne like hormonal fluctuations, skin care products, poor diet. The dermatologist can figure out the reason and give you treatments to effectively deal with acne.
3. Is your current skin care routine suitable for you: There is always something new in the market and you might be tempted to try them. No matter what the product claims, you need to get a heads up from your dermatologist before using them because they can cause harmful reactions to your skin or lead to break out. A dermatologist's job is to examine your skin and determine the issues to recommend appropriate products that can target the problem areas. On your next visit be sure to carry your current skin care products to know whether they are working for you.
4. Do your moles look suspicious: If any of your moles have changed over time, then you must get it checked. The common symptoms of melanoma are moles with uneven colour, large diameter and asymmetrical border.